Thinning the edge on a Winkler Belt knife and a Worksharp

Daniel L

Gold Member
I've got a Worksharp Ken Onion with the Blade Grinding attachment and I wanted to thin the edge down on the Winkler Belt knife.

At the moment I just sharpened it to a 17.5 degree bevel and that did help a lot on cutting efficiency. But behind the edge it's still very stout (and I don't intend to chop bricks).

What's the right way to approach this.... should I set my Worksharp to 15 degrees, and then when I am done, rebevel to 20 degrees to strengthen the edge?

I cannot help you, but it is a very interesting question, and i look forward to the replies. Someone will help you, very knowledgeable people on the forum.:thumbsup:

I did mine on a belt sander, and convexed it at the same time. I don't think the Work sharp has enough ass to do it (have one as well).

The only thing I would worry about is the high speed of the Worksharp ... if you use belt sanders you need to have a slow speed and keep the heat down ...

I can whole heartedly recommend Josh @ REK Sharpening ... he uses water cooled slow speed to reprofile the blade ... he is great to work with and I think you'd find it's not real costly and he finishes up on the Wicked edge after reprofiling the blade ...

you may want to give him a call or email and ask about it ... or PM him here @razor-edge-knives.

Back