~THIS blade sharper than any scalpel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
apologies for the click bait ;) but it is true … i actually employ the depicted blade as non-rigid utility blade for its flexibility, insane thinness (0.100mm), and tree topping sharpness:

scalpelnpk0i.jpg

Especially the fact that the blade is flexible makes this frikkin sharpness so useful for certain applications. Standard utility blades are very sharp, my premium set of Made In Germany medical scalpels and scalpel blades are scary sharp, but nothing (in a household) beats this blade in sharpness afaik.

Very fun to play with, crazy how it slices through banana box cardboard practically with no force:eek:, serves as optimal reference, and does have actual utility in a common household. By definition of its very existence, the blade is (even beyond) "hair-whittling sharp". :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Highly recommended! :cool:

Last edited:
Is than an "injector" blade?

I shave with a double edged safety razor, which uses the classic shaped razor blade that everyone thinks of, with edges on both long sides. They are rather sharp, but totally impractical because they are so thin you can bow or bend them with almost no force. Plus there's almost nothing to grip if you wanted to cut something with it. You'd need a holder of some sort and a safety razor just won't do it.

As I understand it, the injector blades are much thicker and more rigid, which might make them useful.

I was given a small number of "expired" scalpels a while back and I was really, really surprised at how coarse the grind pattern was on them. They looked like 180 (or 220) grit for the primary grind. Probably polished somewhat past that on the edge of the edge. I'm guessing they purposefully created a "polished toothy edge" so that it easily catches skin and slices into it.

Which is an interesting study all in itself: The way that various industrial blades are sharpened. It's often very different than you might expect. HeavyHanded has some stories about how paper trimming (cleaving?) blades are sharpened. More polished is actually worse in that application.

Anyway, I'm off topic. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.

Brian.

there's almost nothing to grip if you wanted to cut something with it. You'd need a holder of some sort and a safety razor
I don't know what an injector blade is :oops:. The product was my disposable razor made out of plastic (2EUR in supermarket for a 20pcs bag) which i modded such that i could disassemble and reassemble its parts. The disassembly is destructive, four molten plastic rivets need to be clipped. Then I carved a cutout on one side so that one of the two blades can be secured in that position.

All non-metallic parts can be reused and the handle can now be called a blade holder. When i need a fresh new blade, i simply crack open another plastic razor and then transfer the blades to the blade holder.

Yes, the blade is super thin and cracks in half when you try to fold it in half. And the blade holder is compromised too (through the destructive disassembly). But this is the least expensive unsurpassably sharpest blade anyone can have around at home, and for certain tasks it is usable.

The other day I used mine, for example, for deburring a DIY spacer. :)

Last edited:
I didn't intend to one-up you, I just thought you would want to try those if you hadn't. I have not used them myself, but theoretically they are the sharpest steel blades available. (When even those are not enough there are extremely expensive diamond blades used for electron microscopy.)

Keep in mind, microtome blades are normally used for single passes through most materials.
Make the cut, shift to a fresh spot on the blade, make a cut etc. The more thin the edge is worked, the more delicate it becomes.

I have a box of microtome blades around somewhere....

Is than an "injector" blade?

................... Plus there's almost nothing to grip if you wanted to cut something with it. You'd need a holder of some sort ..............

Jeeez! Didden yer learn nothin in da joint! Yer melt it in ta da handle of a tootbrush!

Stitchawl

apologies for the click bait ;) but it is true … i actually employ the depicted blade as non-rigid utility blade for its flexibility, insane thinness (0.100mm), and tree topping sharpness:

scalpelnpk0i.jpg

Especially the fact that the blade is flexible makes this frikkin sharpness so useful for certain applications. Standard utility blades are very sharp, my premium set of Made In Germany medical scalpels and scalpel blades are scary sharp, but nothing (in a household) beats this blade in sharpness afaik.

Very fun to play with, crazy how it slices through banana box cardboard practically with no force:eek:, serves as optimal reference, and does have actual utility in a common household. By definition of its very existence, the blade is (even beyond) "hair-whittling sharp". :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Highly recommended! :cool:

.....But Wait, there's more!

For a low price of 19.95, YOU too can cut with the power of OXY blade!!!

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back