This case I am proud of.

Diomedes Industries

Gold Member
Basic Member
I have not been doing this for very long - but I am proud of this one. I learn more every time.

SAK Farmer case with line 24 snap sandwiched between two pieces of leather to protect the knife. Double stitched at stress points.

SakPouchwithFlap002.jpg

SakPouchwithFlap003.jpg

SakPouchwithFlap004.jpg

The snap leather tab is coming through crooked in the photo's - but it is straight. :eek:

TF

Looks very nice, very nice job on it. If could offer one suggestion, maybe put the padding behind the snap on the inside of the pouch instead of on the outside.

You have every right to be proud of that one! Nice work!

Looks very nice, very nice job on it. If could offer one suggestion, maybe put the padding behind the snap on the inside of the pouch instead of on the outside.

So there would simply be stitching on the outside?

Wouldn't this create a gap between the knife and the rest of the sheath?

TF

So there would simply be stitching on the outside?

Wouldn't this create a gap between the knife and the rest of the sheath?

TF

In cases like this, pun intended ;), I think what he means is on the inside
you would glue a thin layer to cover the metal base of the snap.

What I do may be a little different than others, when I'm forming the sheath
and know I'll have a snap on there, I'll put a thin piece of leather on top of
the knife and wrap them together with seran wrap, this way I'll form the leather
with that extra bit of leather in place and that will give the necessary room inside.

I make the inside piece of leather the full length of the front section,
this way the knife doesn't have an edge to catch on, plus since I'm relying
on glue to hold it in place, I have more area to glue down and it stays put better.

G2

G2,

How think of leather do you glue to the inside? Do you skive existing leather - or buy thinner leather?

TF

It's probably in the realm of 2oz leather which is about a 1/16" thick or so or less.
I have a little of this that I use for such purposes, while I avoid flaps as much as I can
every now and then I get snagged into making one. They have their place for sure,
if you wear outside in the rain a lot, or a worker uses his sheath in nasty enviroment
and gunk can fall onto the knife, a flap will save that mess.

I don't skive down leather to make the pieces but I do bevel the edges to lessen anything
catching on it.
G2

Back