This years Blade show in Atlanta.

Eek. Another thread by me. But Im trying to catch up with the swing of things again. (Sorry if Im aggravating you guys. :p )

I've never been to one. This year will be my first. I dont really know what to expect or how to act...And Im really going to get a feel for a large range of knives so I can stop asking all the gurus questions!

I don't know all the etiquette that comes with it, or is there any?
Someone fill me in on what to do! What to wear! How to act! Where to go! :confused:

Im excited and equally nervous about making a complete knife newbie of myself.

Use common sense and common courtesy and you will be OK. Ask before touching. Handle what you touch carefully. Buy drinks for all BFC members that you meet.

Bring lots of money. Act like a human being and treat other people's knives the way you would want someone to treat yours. Oh, and bring lots of money. :D

How much is "alot"? O_O

The only real thing Im worried about now is having the maker look at me as a naive 18 year old looking to fondle knives all day.

Im about as mature as anyone older people I know, and I know quite a few. Hopefully I get the same respect as anyone who enters the front doors.

After reading that thread I am a little concerned I'll be looking at a knife and drop it by mistake. (Although the chances of this are slim). But never in my wildest dreams would I run away or even say "Oops". Lawd!

Should I wear a name tag that says: "Hi, My name is Fireshaker!" Ahah. In other words, how could I meet other forumites?

Actually Fireshaker, I was thinking the same thing, how to get together with other forumites. Maybe we should have a sign up thread for those who would be interested in meeting at a designated spot. I won't be able to make most of the first day of the show since I have to work, but I'll be there for Sat. and Sun. So who's for meeting up at some point to chat? Maybe on Fri. evening, go someplace for dinner? I'm open to suggestion, but I'd really like to meet some of you personally at the show, it will be a new experience for me to meet large numbers of fellow knifenuts in person.

How much money should you bring? As much as you can, if you are a true knife nut. But, no matter what you bring, it will NOT be enough! Don't ask me how I know that. :D

It will be my first time, too. I might only be able to go Fri. eve. I wonder if all the vendors will be set up by then? What can we expect there? Good prices, special offers, promos, freebies and demonstrations? Should I bring my broken Buck solitaire for possible replacement? Maybe my Wave for adjustment? Entry fee per day, or one ticket per weekend? OK, OK, I'll stop.

In the past, there have been bladeforums.com nametags. I haven't heard anything about 'em this year. You can certainly just make your own. Just put "bladeforums.com / <your screen name>."

I think you'll find that the makers are almost all very nice people who are happy to have you examine their work even if you don't buy. You can learn a lot. They not only like to show off their work, but they like your feedback too. So, tell 'em what you think. "I like this blade style, but this one is to long for me." Aside from the fact that they may be able to take an order and make one for you, that's just good feedback for them. If a number of people say that, then maybe next year they'll make a few shorter ones.

As a general rule, I avoid touching anything that I don't have a serious interest in. Also, be sure that your hands are very clean; wash up after lunch, etc.

Dress nicely. It's not a black tie ball, but people do judge a book, especially a younger book, by its cover. A clean sportshirt and some nice chinos won't kill your budget or be uncomfortable.

Bring a bottle of water. 10 ounces is like $3 in the show. There are no drinking fountains. And the sinks in the restrooms only give hot water.

Bring some sort of a briefcase or tote bag to carry stuff. Even if you're only planning on maybe buying one or two little knives at most, you'll still pick up lots of literature and all sorts of little things.

Cash is king. Most dealers and some makers take credit cards. Personal checks are not as welcome.

Oh, and when you meet a bladeforums.com moderator, the proper etiquette is to address him as, "your Highness," get down on your knees, kiss his shoes, and then put a $20 bill in his tote bag.

I wonder if all the vendors will be set up by then?

Yes.

What can we expect there?

Knives.

Good prices,

Not really. For production stuff, you'll probably do better surfing the web.

special offers,

Sometimes.

promos, freebies

Not much.

and demonstrations?

Yes.

Should I bring my broken Buck solitaire for possible replacement?

Why bother. Just buy a new one.

Maybe my Wave for adjustment?

I have not seen Leatherman at Blade for the last few years. Besides, they wouldn't bring the factory, just the tradeshow booth. Mail the wave in.

Entry fee per day, or one ticket per weekend?

One fee for the whole show.

To be VERY honest, I only have around 250$ to spend if even that much. The main reason I want to go is to get a chance to SEE all these excellent knives I've grown to love since becomming a member of Bladeforums.

There are 3-4 kinves in particular that I want to TOUCH. I'm interested in buying them but I can only afford 1 or 2, so I really need to experience the knife to avoid any future letdowns.

Heh, I dont really have any "dress up" clothes at the moment. I mean I do, but I'm not even real sure they fit. Hows does a hoodie, blue jeans, and a smile sound? :D

If I have to I will dress up for the occasion though, it wont be too much hair off my chest to do that. ;)

Gollnick, as always you are an excellent guide. And being a fellow musician, I woudn't mind meeting you. I play trumpet and to brag a little, Im known in my area for my Double G's and Double A's. Very loud and brassy ones at that. (Of course Im a Maynard Ferguson fan, look at my name!).

I will be wearing a name tag, I suggest all the other forumites do so as well!

Thanks, Gollnick. I take it you are a moderator! What is the entry, anyway? I don't think my wife would like it, but I'm sure my boys would. Maybe she would like us to spend the weekend there without her...Hmmm, this could be more fun than I anticipated...

Fireshaker, if the new guys didn't ask questions, this place would shut down. Ask! :D

I've been to knife shows before. I have hundreds of knives of my own. Last year was my first Blade Show. I nearly went into shock.

I started walking around the outside of the hall, looking at the tables ranged around the walls and talking to the makers and manufacturers and sellers. The first day, I didn't even get all the way around, let alone look at the many, many more tables in the center of the hall.

Don't let that sort of thing worry you. There is so much to see, so much to learn. You don't even have to buy anything, although I picked up a few real bargains on great knives. The best part of Blade is meeting the people in the business and learning what their knives are about from them. You can always go home and think about it and buy the knives later. Look and learn and talk and touch as much as you can.

Etiquette is easy. Smile a lot, we're all your friends. Ask before you touch. Handle with respect the sharp and shiny things set out for you to admire.

You won't have any trouble meeting Bladeforums people. We usually got together with a mob or two for lunch and dinner, and partying at night after that. (You'll never think about the once-faceless names online the same!)

Esav, I will simply say I agree with everything you said. I'm going to fondle everything I can. I may not be able to actually afford a JSP custom, but if I can at least look at one I will. I agree, I don't have a ton of money to spend either, but I'm driving down with a buddy, a knifemaker friend gave us VIP passes, we'll eat at McD's on the way down, and it'll be like the good old days: ROAD TRIP! It's a helluva long drive but it will be fun.

I will have my name tag on and look forward to running into you guys! Woo Hoo!

Leo Gilbert

Hey I would like to go , but I'm in maryland. Is anyone here from Baltimore area going ? Be kewl to go with company. Whats the dates for the show ?

Should I wear a name tag that says: "Hi, My name is Fireshaker!"
I plan to do that.

There has been some excellent advice in this thread. I've learned a few things and I've been to a Blade show! My "big three" for Blade are: (1) wear comfortable walking shoes. (2) get to the venue early. (3) bring lots of money :D. As someone mentioned many of the makers and vendors accept credit cards. BTW, if you see a knife you like and you have it in your hand my advice is don't put it back down on the table :D.

I went to my first Blade show last year and it was a lot of fun. I mostly looked and learned and didn't spend much money because I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to collect. Still it was one of the highlights of my knife collecting hobby and I'm really looking forward to this year's Blade show. I have a couple of knives I want to get and a bunch I want to "look at" (which is to say I will buy them if I like them). I also plan to talk to the makers and vendors. After all, that is why they are there!

Finally, if you see a small, hairy, (well dressed :eek: ) guy grinning like a madman come over and say "hi" :D.

It's my first time to the show as well. I'm looking forward to putting faces with names.

Phillip:)

stich-you better check on the times.............fri evening might be about the time the place shuts down.

I think there are some links to the times etc in the CUSTOM FORUM.

For more info on the Blade Show click HERE and then follow the links under information. I think some of the folks from Wine & Cheese are getting together one night at the Pit (lobby/bar) in the Waverly. I'll be there in time for the opening stampede Friday and then in and out the rest of the weekend.
Stay Safe,
Clyde

Back