THK adults-only WTF? thread

good to see you around -- looking forward to progress pics of the spears. :D

Thank you again for your patronage!

I've made and tested many "skull-crusher" butts and pommels, because they look really cool. But I seldom make them anymore... mainly because it's just as easy to crack a coconut or break a window with a "normal" butt of a knife, as it is with a specialized extended/exposed tang that collects extra dirt and might annoy your hand or dig into your ribs when you carry it on your hip. The force applied is very nearly the same either way, so why make it more complicated than it really has to be? Unless proven otherwise, I almost always follow the KISS principle... Keep It Simple, Son.

What I do often do, in the interest of thumping on stuff, is shape the butt of a full-tang knife so the metal of the tang hits your tent-stake (or an enemy sentry's skull :rolleyes:) before the handle material does. I doubt that makes very much difference in the practical PSI applied by such a blow. But it may help prevent the corners of the handle-material from chipping or splitting, and it looks good to my eye.
I can say from experience that the smacky/pointy pry-ey pommel arrangement will do greater harm to the operator's epidermis than anything else (and I made the goddamn thing for myself, so it's my own damn fault...

I can say from experience that the smacky/pointy pry-ey pommel arrangement will do greater harm to the operator's epidermis than anything else (and I made the goddamn thing for myself, so it's my own damn fault...

That can happen too... not saying how I know.

Some of the ones I see are so smacky/pointy/pry-ey that it's essentially like carrying the knife the wrong way in your sheath. That looks sort of ouchy. I don't think a knife should require a warning label to remind you not to cut/stab the hell out of yourself...

Claymore2.jpg

Back