THK Food, Drink & Other Stuff Recipe Thread

That looks fantastic.

I still have the inner loins and part of the backstraps from last fall. Hmmmm.

What did you use for marinade?

I hate to say it, but I don't exactly remember - there was garlic, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, black pepper -- probably sriracha or cholula and possibly a splash of OJ.

Oh my heavens *droooool*

By all means, do tell us your marinade secrets. I typically just splash on some Worchestershire and/or teriyaki and whatever seasonings I have handy... salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, hot sauce etc.

In other news, Miss Angie finally had to make another batch of homemade laundry soap last weekend... which means the first batch lasted over six months for two adults, plus sharing some with her mother and dad. 100% worthwhile and remarkably inexpensive :thumbup:

good to hear on the laundry soap -- we have learned since having to replace our 16 YO Kenmore washer this summer and getting a high efficiency front loader, that the laundry soap we made with Zote does not fully dissolve and leaves gunk in the soap compartment -- the fels naptha laundry soap works just fine, though.
next experiment will be with some of SWMBO's homemade soap.

^^^That's what i add to venison too pretty much in a stir fry kinda deal. Soy sauce( or wirchestershire) teriaki, Sriracha, garlic powder, garlic pepper seasoning. After cooked most way through throw in green peppers,onions and garlic. turns out pretty descent. Covers the game taste for sure if eating Buck. Dump in the same ingrediant pretty much to make jerky too.
20140717_112733_zps56356f69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140525_165100_zps4b5f47d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

'tis the season -- for winter squash.
if you've never tried one, get a hubbard squash instead of a pumpkin.
slightly sweeter flavor, but cooks the same and you make the same kinds of things with it.
(big seeds suitable for roasting, too)
Sunday I cut one in half, cored out all the seeds, then put it cut edge down in a lasagna pan and baked it at 350 for 90 minutes.
after it was cool, I used a spoon to scrape the flesh out of the skin.
tonight I made oatmeal corn muffins with it -- 1 1/2 cups corn muffin mix, 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, 1 1/2 cups hubbard (seeing a trend?), a cup or so (2 handfulls) dried cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 eggs, and a tablespoon of pie spice.

beat eggs, squash, and sugar together
mix in corn muffin mix
add in craisins
add rolled oats until you have a medium stiff dough (thicker than muffin batter, not as thick as cookie dough)

toss in fridge for an hour so the oats and craisins can soak up some of the liquid (NOW it feels like cookie dough)
put on lightly greased pan by the heaping tablespoon
bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Nice!

We have so much going on in the kitchen right now (it's that time of year ;) ) that I haven't even begun to write it all up. Apple butter and sauce, 3 different batches of wine/cider, canned tomatoes, hot pepper sauce... the list goes on...

squash soup
peel and cube 1 butternut squash
peel and dice 1 medium to large onion
put in crock pot with 2 cups water or stock, set temp to "low" (ours does low & high - high will do a rolling simmer)
If you like spicy food, add a small can of curry paste.
come back in 9 or 10 hours, mash with potato masher, add sour cream or milk (I did a cup of flavored sour cream and a cup or so of milk), season to taste with garlic & black pepper.

serve with grilled cheese sammiches or egg rolls.

worlds easiest pumpkin corn muffins:
1 can pumpkin pie filling (not plain canned pumpkin)
1 18 oz box of corn muffin mix (or 2 smaller boxes)

mix both ingredients thoroughly in a bowl
fill muffin cups or greased cornbread pan
bake according to instructions on the box.

take out of oven, let cool a few minutes, eat

You can do the same with yellow cake or german chocolate cake mix. (probably any flavor you prefer, but those I've tested) We mix the can of pumpkin pie filling and cake mix, fill muffin cups and bake as stated on the box. Good stuff!

Here's a good fire-starter recipe I make a couple of times a year, using mostly leftover supplies.

Ingredients:
Paper egg carton (12, 18, 30...doesn't matter)
Sawdust (I collect this up from under the table saw / band saw / lathe)
Leftover candle wax (if you don't use candles, look for them at rummage sales. When people purge, their candle collections tend to go cheap)

Prepare the carton by filling it to the top of each egg section with sawdust. Melt your candles in a pan on the stove. I save a #10 can for this and actually place it inside of a larger pot with a little water in it...kind of like a double-boiler. When the wax is melted all the way, take it off and let it cool for a couple minutes, but don't let it start to re-harden. Pour it over your egg cartons slowly, to let it full up each section and soak into the sawdust. Once it hardens, they can be stored indefinitely, as the wax acts as a moisture barrier. Cut off one piece at a time for fire starting purposes. Each piece should give a good 5-7 minutes of flame.

Good recipe, thanks for sharing!

There are lots of ways to make handy firestarting aids like that; a person could stay busy an entire weekend messing around with them :thumbup:

Back