Thoughts on Forged in fire

So i saw forged in fire, and I must say, I was disappointed but not surprised. That boiled down a complex hobby thats an amazing mix of chemistry, physics, aesthetics, design and craftsmanship into "this is a deadly blade" and "watch the man hit metal." I never saw anyone even temper their blades! No mentions of metallurgy or geometry "ok, they talked about geometry but only in passing." But I cant say im surprised. I just hope we dont get too many more people here asking how to make a sword with their moms nail file and a piece of old pipe.

I tried to watch it with an open mind. I agree it seemed to belittle or discount the amount if work/time that goes into making a knife properly. On the positive side, I think it will generate some interest and general awareness of custom knives. I do wish they focused more on the last segment which would have been a better demonstration of what goes into a custom knife. Hopefully this will lead to more customers, I just hope they don't think you can produce a knife from start to finish in three hours.

Big Giant Swords was Much better.

But I hear this one is supposed to get better, we'll have to see it to believe it!

anyone can make a knife in 3 hours and even temper it too :rolleyes:. It just loses things like fit and finish past 36 grit, epoxied on handles, more than one temper cycle and so much more, but at least it will cut things or be "deadly" like a sharpened tooth brush mode on a prison floor. :D
Edit : some people actually can make a decent knife in three hours but no heat treat

Last edited:
I do believe that Murray Carter made one on this country style Japanese kitchen knives in less time that that as part of the challenge.
anyone can make a knife in 3 hours and even temper it too :rolleyes:. It just loses things like fit and finish past 36 grit, epoxied on handles, more than one temper cycle and so much more, but at least it will cut things or be "deadly" like a sharpened tooth brush mode on a prison floor. :D
Edit : some people actually can make a decent knife in three hours but no heat treat

I'm sure all those guys could make very nice knives but when pressed into a time box proves haste makes waste and doesn't show their best work. The winner Matt, is from Ct. and makes some amazing swords.

It was 3 hours on the blade & 3 hours on the handle. The guy that won actually made a decent knife & sword.

3 out of the 4 blades made had cracks.

I made it until the "big reveal" where they were told what they had to make. They minute the guy said "serrations" I put on Caddyshack. :rolleyes:

So how does one watch this without a cable tv connection? We cut the cord and have saved a boatload of $$$$ but I do miss Discovery and History sometimes........

Corey

You really can't because even the online app requires you to punch in your cable system user name and password.
So how does one watch this without a cable tv connection? We cut the cord and have saved a boatload of $$$$ but I do miss Discovery and History sometimes........

Corey

Well, it was better than "Mike & Molly" or "Big Bang Theory". I guess the thing to remember is, the show wasn't intended for us. *shrug*

The NOVA/Nat Geo "Secrets of the Viking Sword" documentary, featuring Rick Furrer (with assistance from Kevin Cashen) is really quite good.

[video=youtube;nXbLyVpWsVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Was that because they quenched in water?
They never said or covered any heat treating on the first 4 blades. I suspect with all the bright lights needed for the show the guys over heated their blades in the forge, both forging & at time of quench.

I smiled when I saw one of the guys using a Bruce Bump file guide to file in the serrations.

I agree, it isn't made for us, but we knew that would be the case. If it were it'd tank.

The show isn't for knife makers, it's for a broader audience or it stands zero chance of being renewed or making money and TV is a money business first. There has to be some contrived "challenges" like short time deadlines, serrations or splitting a bullet (sigh...) or making a Katana and whacking a body model to make it interesting for those that have no idea custom knife makers exist -- which is about everyone that may have watched it.

We as knife makers are a very small percentage and maybe 5 out of a 100 "ordinary" people have ever heard of custom knife making. The exposure this show brings can help with that. I'm sure some viewers will not understand how much time it takes to make a good knife. I'm also sure some customer will want a knife that punches through steel drums. A five minute conversation with a new client will take care of that. If I watch a TV show on how Ninja's train, I don't think I'll become a Ninja after that with three hours practice. I also don't think many people will believe they can make a knife in 3 hours.

I understand the concerns makers have about broadcasting factual and accepted knife making techniques and results. We all want a realistic portrayal of the process and the performance a custom knife can give you. After talking to a few of the contestants, they feel good about the experience and how the producers are setting up the show and I trust their opinion.

Knife making has been a blacksmith, guild, trade or military closely guarded secret until WW2. Custom knife making didn't really become well known (relatively) until the 70's when it started to become more widely known. We can thank Lovelass and several others for that. There has been no other TV show like this and we can use the exposure, even if it isn't framed up exactly like we would prefer it to be done.

I think the amount of interest in custom knives will increase as will new makers come into the craft. I don't see a downside to this even if it set up as an elimination style reality show. I thought the judges, the host and the overall feel of the show is respectful of the craft and the knife makers competing on the show. It's not a "how to" show, it's an entertainment show. I'd certainly film it and show it a little differently. I bet every knife maker would but for what it is as entertainment, I think they showed knife makers as humble, passionate and skilled craftsman and that was more important to me than most anything else.

Last edited:
I agree, it isn't made for us, but we knew that would be the case. If it were it'd tank.

The show isn't for knife makers, it's for a broader audience or it stands zero chance of being renewed or making money and TV is a money business first. There has to be some contrived "challenges" like short time deadlines, serrations or splitting a bullet (sigh...) or making a Katana and whacking a body model to make it interesting for those that have no idea custom knife makers exist -- which is about everyone that may have watched it.... I thought the judges, the host and the overall feel of the show is respectful of the craft and the knife makers competing on the show... I think they showed knife makers as humble, passionate and skilled craftsman and that was more important to me than most anything else.

Agreed!

While some makers are up-in-arms about the show being somehow damaging to our craft, I also agree with Tracy that overall it's good exposure. Nobody's just born knowing this stuff, and after all, if it wasn't for asking "stupid" questions, I never would have learned anything :)

While it may result in increased exposure for the craft, in the wimpy, PC age in which we live, is it really such a good thing when ever third word out of the host's mouth is WEAPON?

Are you really concerned about a sudden rash of people running around with katanas and Viking swords, wreaking havoc? Relax. There comes a point where being too paranoid about not being PC becomes PC itself.

Swords are... umm... weapons. If they were constantly referring to hunters or chef's knives as weapons, I might be a little more concerned about it.

Back