Thoughts on Hults Bruk Salen Hatchet

gunslinger387

Gold Member
Basic Member
I’m looking at getting a decent axe/hatchet, around 19-20" handle. REI has these and I have some gift cards, with their 20 percent discount it’s about free. What I don’t want is an ok axe that will only make me want something better. Is this a one and done or should I keep looking? If I should keep looking, what should I be looking for?

Well as you know I'm sure Gransfors Bruks Axes are generally regarded the best of the production class. And this is because much more attention is paid to working the steel inside the eye so there are no gaps or imperfections that would lead to the handle not making near 100% contact which is essential to having an axe head that wont come loose under heavy use . This is particularly true for felling axes .

Hults Bruk like any of the other high end axes such as itself or autine can every once in a while pop out an axe head that isnt quite there causing the head to work loose.

Fortunately this isn't quite the same for hatchets at their work stress isn't quite what their big brothers are . They are generally used for camp fire wood splitting , delimbing . and small OD trees.

So in my personal opinion is you don't need a gransfors Bruks hatchet . You can make do with any quality hatchet . Hults Bruk are fine wood processing tools . And I think that hatchet would serve you well for years to come . And unless you are planning on felling a 16" tree with it I don't think you'd feel under equipped. The more important thing is the shape of the cutting face . Does it have a thin profile that only thickens up near the eye giving it the ability to bite deep into the wood ? Or is it more a chisel suitable for splitting larger wood ? What are you going to use it for ? Does the shape match the job you see it doing ?

I recently bought a straight face throwing hatchet . A cold steel axe gang . It SUCKS for cutting anything wider than its face becase of the straight edge chopping face making too much contact and reducing it's ability to bite as deep as a traditional hatchet would be capable of . That being said . I cut down a 4-5" tree and that thing bit DEEP after a little edge profiling and sharpening . Even with the flat blade edge the profile of this thing was so thin the fact it had alot of face didn't make a difference . I wouldn't cut anything larger with it but for delimbing and camp firewood processing it works GREAT nor did I see any gaps between the eyewall and the handle. And I paid 31 bucks for it .

You're looking a proper swedish hatchet from a reputable company . I think you'll really like it . And it's damn near free ? Jump on it bub .

TL;DR No , because it's a hatchet I dont think it'll leave you wanting more. It will probably be a great hatchet. Go for it !

What I don’t want is an ok axe that will only make me want something better.

What is the difference between an "ok" axe and a "better" axe ??? As long as the head does not shatter like glass or bend in use, and as long as the handle does not snap like a twig in use, then it is an axe. As much as 99% of the people who own axes etc. actually use them now, just about anything laying around will be good enough for them.

I’m looking at getting a decent axe/hatchet, around 19-20" handle. REI has these and I have some gift cards, with their 20 percent discount it’s about free. What I don’t want is an ok axe that will only make me want something better. Is this a one and done or should I keep looking? If I should keep looking, what should I be looking for?

Disclaimer - I've never even had my hands on any axe costing this much :D

"About free"? Hell man, go for it :thumbsup: I sure would.

Long time, premium manufacturer will probably get the size/profile right for it's intended purpose (this is not a felling or bucking axe). The little bit that I've seen leads me to be more suspect of neophyte manufacturers than established ones. They don't always fathom that there are reasons for traditional profiles, or they may not have even made a study of them.

As far as expectations, remember that all heads will wear and chip on occasion. All handles will eventually become loose when used. Handles may even come loose when shipped from a humid place to a dry one (I live in a dry one). Better axes are less likely to have these problems, but even the best eventually will need some renewing when used hard.

Bottom line, if you try this axe out and find it lacking, you can sell it easily on ebay or on a forum. I've had that happen now and then and have learned to accept that a bit of cost is a fair trade for a bit more knowledge from the experience. I learn by doing things and I find learning to be pretty fun on the whole.

If you're dead set on that weight/length, the Salen is one of the only ones I've seen offered. The only company I've found that offers a 20" replacement hatchet handle is Whiskey River. Beaver Tooth has a 19". I'm currently waiting for Whiskey River to restock, as I too am wanting a 1 3/4 lb. Head on a 20" haft. I have an older Collins Homestead head I'm going to use. Very similar profile to that Salen you're looking at. Of course, one could always make their own haft, but if time and skill are not available to do so, I think you'd be happy with the HB. If you plan to do more 2 handed chopping than 1 handed though, I'd consider something in the 24" flavor. Lots of options at 24"-28".

I have a Hults Bruk Kalix that I bought about 18 - 24 months ago. It is a really nice axe. I also have a small vintage Hults Bruk hatchet. There are some obvious differences in manufacture but in my opinion HB are still making good tools that will last a lifetime if you do your part. If you can pick that up at little cost to you, I don't think you'll regret it. I have beat the snot out of my Kalix and it keeps its edge well.

Back