Thoughts on my Benchmade 943.

MTB

EDIT: Photo in post 10.

So I was looking for a Benchmade 940 at a good price for quite some time when I came across the 943. I never paid much attention to the 943 since I like the looks of the 940 much better, but I found a retailer who only had the 943s in stock and was running a 20% off discount code. Well I couldn't say no to a 943 at 20% off so I jumped on it. I'm glad I did. Turns out I love this knife! I have been carrying it non-stop for about 5-6 weeks now. I use it for everything. From food prep in the kitchen, tasks at work, and to simply opening the mail. This thing is with me all the time. The 943 has quickly become my favorite modern pocket knife to carry because it is so light and slender in the pocket, yet still inspires confidence when in use. The feel, the look, the deployment, its all fantastic. I honestly don't see myself replacing this knife any time soon, unless of coarse I come across the 940 at an equally good price. This knife is just a real pleasure to use and carry.

All that good being said, I am glad i didnt and I never will pay full price for a Benchmade. The quality control and material just isn't worth it. The grind on my knife was good, but not great. It was pretty sharp out of the box but I had to put it to my Worksharp to get a nice fine edge on it. The pivot screw kept backing out daily until i took it out and put a drop of blue locktite on it. Blade centering was off until I fixed it. The aluminum scales are milled slightly off so the left side doesnt meet up flush with the spacer but the right side does. This wasnt just a problem with the knife I ordered, sight unseen. I was able to play with Benchmade 940s at 4 different brick and mortar stores, all of which had issues of some sort. On top of all of that S30V is becoming a standard now and quality aluminum handles can be found on USA knives 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of a 943. The value just isn't there to warrant the $200 price tag. Now I know alot of people wont agree with me, but I judge the quality of most knives by my Buck 110s. I have 8 of them. All but 1 of them were near perfect out of the box. If Buck can produce a beautifully crafted 420HC/wood/brass knife for $50 or a S30V/nickel/G10 knife for $100, I would fully expect a $200 knife to surpass Bucks QC and craftsmanship. In my limited experience with Benchmades, you really are just buying a name and nice design, not quality of craftsmanship. Don't get me wrong, I do love my 943. I enjoy all three of my Benchmades(943, Grip, Mini-Grip). I would gladly buy and recommend another Benchmade, but only if it were on sale like all the rest of mine were. I know others have different opinions and experiences. Just thought I would share mine. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Nice collection! What model is the top knife? I cant quite read the model number.

D1A9A894-0816-4783-88C6-B17DA615D66A.jpeg
Nice collection! What model is the top knife? I cant quite read the model number.

The thing that’s hard to read says 20CV (blade steel). The knife is a Benchmade Anthem. This is what it looked like before the reanodization. The sockets in the upper left corner are #30 TORX. You need 2 of them to undo the lock bar. The handle is a one piece integral.

I could see the blade steel. I just couldnt see the model number under the butterfly. Ive never seen the Anthem before. Nice looking blade!

EDIT: I can see why I never noticed that knife before. I just looked it up online :eek:

33BAA087-AC60-46E1-A712-B46A7D5C3D57.jpeg
I could see the blade steel. I just couldnt see the model number under the butterfly. Ive never seen the Anthem before. Nice looking blade!

EDIT: I can see why I never noticed that knife before. I just looked it up online :eek:

I hand hold most of my shots, so they can lose a little detail. Cross light helps clarify laser engraving.

Reactions: MTB
So I was looking for a Benchmade 940 at a good price for quite some time when I came across the 943. I never paid much attention to the 943 since I like the looks of the 940 much better, but I found a retailer who only had the 943s in stock and was running a 20% off discount code. Well I couldn't say no to a 943 at 20% off so I jumped on it. I'm glad I did. Turns out I love this knife! I have been carrying it non-stop for about 5-6 weeks now. I use it for everything. From food prep in the kitchen, tasks at work, and to simply opening the mail. This thing is with me all the time. The 943 has quickly become my favorite modern pocket knife to carry because it is so light and slender in the pocket, yet still inspires confidence when in use. The feel, the look, the deployment, its all fantastic. I honestly don't see myself replacing this knife any time soon, unless of coarse I come across the 940 at an equally good price. This knife is just a real pleasure to use and carry.

All that good being said, I am glad i didnt and I never will pay full price for a Benchmade. The quality control and material just isn't worth it. The grind on my knife was good, but not great. It was pretty sharp out of the box but I had to put it to my Worksharp to get a nice fine edge on it. The pivot screw kept backing out daily until i took it out and put a drop of blue locktite on it. Blade centering was off until I fixed it. The aluminum scales are milled slightly off so the left side doesnt meet up flush with the spacer but the right side does. This wasnt just a problem with the knife I ordered, sight unseen. I was able to play with Benchmade 940s at 4 different brick and mortar stores, all of which had issues of some sort. On top of all of that S30V is becoming a standard now and quality aluminum handles can be found on USA knives 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of a 943. The value just isn't there to warrant the $200 price tag. Now I know alot of people wont agree with me, but I judge the quality of most knives by my Buck 110s. I have 8 of them. All but 1 of them were near perfect out of the box. If Buck can produce a beautifully crafted 420HC/wood/brass knife for $50 or a S30V/nickel/G10 knife for $100, I would fully expect a $200 knife to surpass Bucks QC and craftsmanship. In my limited experience with Benchmades, you really are just buying a name and nice design, not quality of craftsmanship. Don't get me wrong, I do love my 943. I enjoy all three of my Benchmades(943, Grip, Mini-Grip). I would gladly buy and recommend another Benchmade, but only if it were on sale like all the rest of mine were. I know others have different opinions and experiences. Just thought I would share mine. Have a great day!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Your review has me adding the 943 back into my "would like to buy sometime" pile. Although behind the new Freek and maybe equal with a custom scaled bugout.

Totally agree with your thoughts on the benchmade price, I got a Mini crooked river with 10 percent off, but wow did it hurt the wallet. My best luck has been on the secondary market so far. I payed an alright price for a g10 Grip (they sadly dropped in price quite a bit after...) a great price for a used freek (which I promptly lost and hate myself for losing it, and a down right amazing price for a used North Forks. All of them are great knives, but in no world is the mini crooked 2.5 times better than my freek or NorthForks.

2E14F601-096E-4D82-B23C-87A1219AD1AB.jpeg 950E2E52-7B9E-42AC-9A52-488409DC7546.jpeg
Awesome! I love the look of that green 943, might have to buy a normal 943 and then search for someone to swap with. What kind of scales on the blue one???

The green 943 is Benchmade Titanium model that used to be blue and bare. It hasn’t been made in years. The bright blue Ti handles are CNC’d by a guy in Canada, and they started out as blue/gray. My son in law reanodized both knives.
You may have a hard time finding one, let alone one to swap.

bl8VZCH.jpg

I think I figured out how to post pictures. Figured I’d finally post a picture of my 943. Still in my pocket everyday at work, home, and around town.

Last edited:
Ok. Apparently it didnt show up? Any tips on how to make this work from Imgur.com? I uploaded the image in the site. Copied the link and pasted it but it apparently still doesn’t show up.

EDIT: I figured it out. I was using the wrong link. I think. I really don't know. I just did something and it works now. I hate computers. lol

Last edited:
I have a few 940s but no 943s.I'll have to check this one out.

There doesn't appear to be alot of 943 owners as all the posts are about the 940.

Reactions: MTB
I think that knives are/can be an emotional item; i.e. we buy them because they make us happy, not necessarily just for the utility. To me, the 940 and 943 are two of the most perfect knives out there. The 940 is the truck/suv. It's practical, utilitarian, looks nice, and gets the job done. The 943 is the motorcycle/sports car. It's a little more "delicate" (the tip) than the 940, and can do most of the same stuff, but looks sooooooo much better. In human terms, the 940 is a powerlifter and the 943 is a bodybuilder.

I have both and love them equally. If I'm going to the office, the 940 goes with me. There's something about the reverse tanto blade that doesn't seem to freak sheeple out as much. The 943 gets carried more on weekends when I'm going places where I don't care what people think/say, or places where people appreciate the 943.

I'd love to see mini versions of each, along with the 943 in some different steels.

Those are my thoughts on this excellent design of a knife. Anyone agree or disagree with me?

Back