Thoughts on the Broken Skull

Haven't seen a DLC coated blade sanded down yet, have you?

Sandpaper can do it. But only sand made from:

latest

I do love the design...and adding in that it's Triad, around 3 ounces, and still a 4" blade (and no material catching notch-AKA a choil) but I fall into the crowd that doesn't have a need for the wording on the blade either. :(

I'm not just saying that about the possible ways it could prejudice an investigator, prosecutor, or jury...I just don't "do" marketing. I am equally turned off by "Bear Grylls" written on the side of a blade (or handle, or sheath, or all three!) of a knife-regardless of HOW GOOD the design of the base knife is. I don't wear T-shirts that make me a free bill board for a product, and I took all the stickers off my SUV years ago that everyone thinks makes them look cool (Oakley, Costa, TNF, Patagonia, etc.)

Last edited:
Apart from the large font branding, I like it! With all the color options, it seems to be strong competition with the Endura. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically the same "pattern" as their discontinued Lone Star Hunter?

Last edited:
Good knife. Horrible, silly billboard on the side of it. May appeal to a certain group of people but not me. I'm not a CS basher but I think you would have to give me one for me to take it, and then I would have to remove the logo somehow (likely hurting it's value but in this case may actually help it). Or, if someone already removed it I could see me picking one up in a deal.

Horrible billboards are in almost every CS knife. Despite nice designs, great lock and materials I don't find attractive such big captions on blades.

I don't think that DLC coating is such resistant. I removed coating from Spyderco Street Bowie with acetone.

I don't think that DLC coating is such resistant. I removed coating from Spyderco Street Bowie with acetone.

Are you sure your Street Bowie had the DLC? Later runs of the knife had a different coating, not DLC.

Probably not DLC as that stuff is as hard as, well, diamonds and will resist most things to take it off.

One thing I do like about the BS series is the color choices.

Probably not DLC as that stuff is as hard as, well, diamonds and will resist most things to take it off.

I am seriously considering a pink one just to amuse myself.

Bystander: Is your knife pink?

Me: Yeah. That's my COLD STEEL BROKEN SKULL TACTICAL FOLDER. It's pink.

Bystander:...

That's kind of what I thought about the DLC after owning one for a little while--seems more like it's integrated in the actual steel than just simply layered on it! Really good stuff, if you like a black blade, that is. I don't mind the black blade at all, and I think I'd probably want one in white. I'll overlook the "BROKEN SKULL" written on the side of it, but again it's not my first choice. I really think this could be one of the best knives of 2016, especially if it were called something different, because it has all the right ingredients! It looks killer, weighs only 3 ounces, has an awesome DLC coated XHP clip point blade that is still 4 inches long (same length and shape as the Recon 1), and G10 with no liners to get in the way, not to mention the color choices!

edit: forgot about the awesome tri-ad lock, and the amazing price, which is really just icing on the cake!

Last edited:
Just found this! Was wondering what it looked like closed, and it looks fantastic! Scope it:

CZ1CEWqUEAAG7Dd.jpg

Thats a bad ass looking blade, not silly at all. Surprised that people who are into Cold Steel are turned off by the name. I suppose people will start asking for a miniature version soon as well, to carry to the office

I agree with the "Broken Skull" logo being too big.

There are other brands that put on much more annoying logos than this.

I will get at least two of them because of the handle color choices though.

It kind of reminds me of the legendary 940 from Benchmade, long straight cutting edge with a little belly at the end, light weight, utilitarian and it looks easy to carry. Of course the difference being a slower deployment but a much stronger lock.

Anyway I must pick that green handle version one day. It'll be my regular edc.

It reminds me Al Mar lightweight folders but with better steel and lock.

I agree with the "Broken Skull" logo being too big.

There are other brands that put on much more annoying logos than this.

I will get at least two of them because of the handle color choices though.

There are definitely other annoying logos and most of them are on knives that don't have nearly the bones this one does. Superficial issues aside, this looks to be one heck of a knife.

Back