Thoughts on the Bush Adder

The top three knives in the picture below belong to Allen's Bush Adder configuration, but I have to say, they each are very unique in feel. The top two were the first two that I received from Allen. The blade shape and dimensions are all but identical between these knives.

The height of the grind on the bolstered knife is higher, but other than this, it is the same blade. However, the feel in the hand is as different as night and day. The bolstered knife is much thinner than the Tulip wooden handled knife. Allen has shared in another thread that the bolstered knife was the first Bush Adder that he had made. It is bolstered in natural Micarta with a green Micarta handle. The tang is tapered, and the liner is the same color as the three pins which is maroon in color.

The blade thickness of both the bolstered and the Tulip wood knives are 5/32”. Both tangs are tapered, and as mentioned both blade shapes are identical except for the height of the grinds. But both of these knives feel completely different in hand. The handle length on the bolstered Bush Adder is 4.348” and is 0.665” wide at the thickest portion of the palm swell. Conversely the Tulip wood knife’s handle is 4.132” long, and is 0.726” at the mid palm swell. Additionally, the Tulip wood one has a swell towards the tang of the knife that is 0.880” wide.

Additional differences include an orange liner and a blue pinstripe on the Tulip wood knife. The differences in handle thickness noted result in a very different feel of these two knives in hand. I would go on to say that he Tulip wood handle is by far my favorite of these two knives as it is more hand filling and less prone to hot spots when in use. However, the bolstered knife would likely satisfy a small handed person more than the Tulip wood knife.

The pine cone Bush Adder was picked up purely because I liked the handle, not because I had a shortage of the Bush Adder knife from Allen. Several months had passed from the obtaining the first two and the pine cone knife from Allen, and this third example is again different that the first two examples that I own.

The handle on the pine cone handled knife that Allen had taken to Blade 2014 is the longest measuring just over 4.6”. However, the blade shape and dimensions remain true to the Bush Adder. The steel used in this example is 5/32” thick as well. The handle width at the palm swell is a thick 0.830” and this handle is very comfortable and hand filling for me. The handle sports a brownish liner with an orange pinstripe. Lastly, Allen also sported a tapered tang on the CPM 154 version as well.

The first two Bush Adders are in 440C steel whilst the pine cone handled version is in CPM 154. In my experience, CPM 154 is one of my favorite stainless steels. I do not know Allen’s heat treat process, or if he farms this portion out to other suppliers, but I am a huge fan of this steel. I have routinely sharpened this steel to an edge of 30 degrees inclusive and have never had any problems for my uses.

In conclusion, I am proud to own Allen’s first Bush Adder knife ever made, even if it is my least favorite of the three that I own from a use and comfort standpoint. However, someone with small hands will likely find that it is just what the Dr. ordered. However, they will not likely pry it from my hands as it was the first one ever made. I have only used these knives sitting on the porch and whittling a little on a piece of maple, but these are well made knives, and I look forward to having an opportunity to take these to the woods for some really extended use. But of the three, I will likely be taking the pine cone version with me to the woods first because of the CPM 154, and second because of the very comfortable hand filling handle. Lately Allan has been making knives in 01 and in CPM 154. Of the 7 knives pictured above in the opening picture, 5 of them are in CPM 154. Allen’s work has been steadily improving from February until now. I must say that the first two Bush Adders that I received from Allen were not very sharp at all. This is of no concern for me as I always sharpen any knife that I receive from any maker because rarely are they sharp enough for my liking. But, his recent offerings have been much better in this regard. If you are not aware, Allen has been apprenticing in Andy Roy’s Fiddleback Forge shop over the past several months. Allen’s grinds are hollow ground, and are very good in all examples that I own. From a blade maintenance standpoint, I prefer the hollow or flat ground configuration to a convex ground one.
If you do not yet own a WAS knife, I would suggest picking one up. These are very comfortable and well thought out designs that will perform.

Last edited:
Tapered CPM154...like a mystical creature. I really enjoy tapered tangs not only for the balance, but I prefer the smaller heel over full tang or SFT. Thanks for the information.

Great right and review Walter! Thank you for all of your support!!

Awesome review Walt! You put some time into that. I love the top pic with the knives on the rack! I am very excited to get my bush adder.

I am looking forward to reading about the stingray and the canebrake.

Great work!

Back