Thoughts on the iMamba

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Have had one for a few days now, and it's a great knife, more than deserving of all the praise! I dare say I might even like it better than my 21! It's a knockout aesthetically, and the size is perfect for me...little smaller and lighter than the large 21 without giving up much in blade length.

IMG_1455.jpg

That said, I'd make 2 minor tweaks: 1. Wish the scallop in the scale was a bit deeper to expose the lock bar a bit more to make it easier to unlock. Wouldn't go as far as the 21, but maybe halfway between.

IMG_1451.jpg

2. The flare at the end of the clip is a bit extreme, especially because it doesn't really flatten back out like other clips I'm used to. When it's clipped in my pocket I worry about scratching/poking stuff as I move about. Felt the same about the 21 (even though it does flatten out), and bent it down a bit. Will do the same on this one once I get a chance to take it apart.

IMG_1449.jpg

Other than those minor quibbles, which are just my opinion and may not matter to others, fantastic knife! :thumbsup:

Couldn’t agree with you more on the overall quality of this knife. My only quibble is the flipper tab - just a tiny bit more bite on it (a little more edge on the shape, a little less smoothing on the jimping) would make it so much easier to flip open. The knife on the right is a Protech Malibu, and that flips with barely more than a thought and a little downward pull, while the iMamba needs a good inward push with the downward pull. It works well as it is - I just have to remember the proper mechanics before I flip it, otherwise my finger just slides off it. If it had the same shaped tab as the Malibu, I’d be hard pressed to find anything to quibble about. Though the action is just so insanely smooth, it makes it easy to forgive the overly rounded flipper tab.

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg

Couldn’t agree with you more on the overall quality of this knife. My only quibble is the flipper tab - just a tiny bit more bite on it (a little more edge on the shape, a little less smoothing on the jimping) would make it so much easier to flip open. The knife on the right is a Protech Malibu, and that flips with barely more than a thought and a little downward pull, while the iMamba needs a good inward push with the downward pull. It works well as it is - I just have to remember the proper mechanics before I flip it, otherwise my finger just slides off it. If it had the same shaped tab as the Malibu, I’d be hard pressed to find anything to quibble about. Though the action is just so insanely smooth, it makes it easy to forgive the overly rounded flipper tab.

View attachment 2394611

View attachment 2394622
Beautiful knife, bearings or washers? I’ve found when I pull it from my pocket, rest the butt towards the bottom of my hand it becomes
A more natural way to deploy the flipper.

Danny Linguini Danny Linguini
Yes, I noticed too that there is something slightly surrounding the flipper tab mechanism. It can happen that the blade only opens halfway (mine's on PB washers yet still insanely smooth). I'm sure that they will tweak the tab at some point. Just as we've seen with the Sebenza thumb stud 🤣

I'd also like that it just took one tool to disasemble it.

I don't know about the fit and finish on yours but I've found two small hick ups on mine.

It's all just nitpicking though. In reality, my iMamba is just so damn close to perfection that the slightest is noticeable.

Last edited:
I really like the imamba
I have a plain Jane and I am waiting for a snakeskin cf version
Both with flipper and bearings

I still prefer the Sebenza and Inkosi over the Imamba and I wish Arno Bernard offers a version with a stonewash blade as I am not a big fan of satin finish

Beautiful knife, bearings or washers? I’ve found when I pull it from my pocket, rest the butt towards the bottom of my hand it becomes
A more natural way to deploy the flipper.
Thank you - yes, it’s definitely a looker. It’s on bearings, and it is silky smooth. I just need to remember to put a little inward pressure on the tab as I pull it down and it pretty much floats open from there.

Yes, I noticed too that there is something slightly surrounding the flipper tab mechanism. It can happen that the blade only opens halfway (mine's on PB washers yet still insanely smooth). I'm sure that they will tweak the tab at some point. Just as we've seen with the Sebenza thumb stud 🤣

I don't know about the fit and finish on yours but I've found two small hick ups on mine.

It's all just nitpicking though. In reality, my iMamba is just so damn close to perfection that the slightest is noticeable.
No hiccups on mine. F&F is spot-on.

What 2 issues have you found? Mine have been much better than any other knife i own, including multiple crks.

Did you have to dissemble to get to the clip and is this a washer, bearing or caged bearing version?
Yes, the clip is held by a screw on the inside of the scale. At first I thought I could just remove the rear standoff and scissor open the scales to get to it, but forgot about the stop pin. So had to remove the scale. This one has caged bearings.

I find the pocket clip does tip up a little higher than it should, but it tucks right in there between my palm and 1st knuckles when gripped in my hands, so it doesn't dig into my hand.

My main concern is what's the best life-hack for treating snail trails on our Ti scales? They're much more visible in photos than IRL.

IMG_4826.JPG
IMG_4828.JPG

I find the pocket clip does tip up a little higher than it should, but it tucks right in there between my palm and 1st knuckles when gripped in my hands, so it doesn't dig into my hand.

My main concern is what's the best life-hack for treating snail trails on our Ti scales? They're much more visible in photos than IRL.

View attachment 2398168
View attachment 2398170
Guess I am fortunate, I work in the electro plating business. I have access to aluminum oxide grit and silica glass bead blasting machines.

Guess I am fortunate, I work in the electro plating business. I have access to aluminum oxide grit and silica glass bead blasting machines.

I guess it's all moot anyway, as it will just come back again with use; and I've been carrying it daily for the past week, along with 2-3 others in different pockets. However, I do keep it in the right back pocket now, with nothing else to rub against it, unlike when it was in my front pocket and rubbing on the gips of my 357 Mag.

This outdoor pic from Saturday doesn't show the marks in that light, but they've been there for a few weeks.

IMG_4801.JPG

According to our process Engineer, Titanium is self sealing, nothing detrimental to the structure.Snail trails are purely cosmetic of course, 5 yrs or so until I retire so maybe as a retirement gift to myself I will reblast all of my titanium, one last hoorah if you will.

I do too, but with the scales with inserts? No idea how to proceed. Im a nobody, but id be absolutely happy to blast anyonenlocal to mes scales for em for free, and its what i do. I do wish there was a choice for those with the insert stuff

I guess it's all moot anyway, as it will just come back again with use; and I've been carrying it daily for the past week, along with 2-3 others in different pockets. However, I do keep it in the right back pocket now, with nothing else to rub against it, unlike when it was in my front pocket and rubbing on the gips of my 357 Mag.

This outdoor pic from Saturday doesn't show the marks in that light, but they've been there for a few weeks.

View attachment 2398182
Glass blast will be much more resiliant against scuffs/scratches, etc. Itnis different in feel and appearance though! Its generally lighter and more pearlescent

Back