Thoughts on Urban Survival

I'm a little skeptical of the 'viruses like third world nations' stuff. Viruses like weakened humans.

munk

munk said:
I'm a little skeptical of the 'viruses like third world nations' stuff. Viruses like weakened humans.

munk

Anywhere you've got poor sanitation, hygiene, water, et cetera, pestilence has found a playground. "Third world" often fits the bill, but so do post hurricane gulf states here in the US. I agree with Munk, viruses simply seek a host, any host. Sobering to know that the great English warrior king, Henry the Fifth, fought and survived many battles, only to be slain by a bout of dysentery, an affliction that's still very much around today.

Sarge

not just viruses. Bacterial infections also. They can be resistant to common anti-biotics. The folks in N'Oleans who spent time in brackish water and who got a bit cut up have been getting a variant of vibrio, which is a very serious infection that can kill someone in a few days unless treated. It is not antibiotic resistant (yet), but the point is that in an urban survival scenario, it is valuable to have some antibiotics with you that you can use to self-medicate if you have no access to health care.

OK, I can pipe up about some things since I've lived in Third World countries before --- in African countries, and some in Asia.

There's a lot to say, but I want to comment on the security aspect of it. It's possible to be safe, but you need a different way of thinking.

The main thing is social relations. Social relations are more important in the Third World, as it's a way to have a system -- whereas in the West, we rely on sophisticated legal and codified social structures. You have to put your best public relations on and develop good relationships with people. The more "friends" you have, the better. If you are in a village or small town, and you have a lot of "friends" -- especially those perceived to be important -- you are less likely to be attacked.

And the other thing --- if you have some means --- you hire an army of security. There's a way to do this right, because if you do it wrong, you can just hire some hoodlums and that'd be counter-productive. BTW, it's not expensive to hire security in these areas.

So, there you are in a village or town in the Third World, and you are respected by a lot of important denizens there, and you have a security group. You are less likely to be attacked. Not only that, but your whole quality of life is a lot better than if you remained a foreigner hermit there.

spent a few years in a foreign country myself.....was sick pretty much the entire time. Don't think I'd blame it on viruses. That seems speculative at best. I would, however, blame it on hygiene, cleanliness (lack of), chlorinated water, low vitamin/mineral foods...as vehicles for disease and illness to spread.

We've taken measures here in the US to protect against disease spreading. Nobody down there drinks clean water - just whatever comes out of the tap...chicken crap and all...no wonder I was sick the whole time. Their bodies had built up a natural resistant (just like you can do with red meat) to the toxins. But my candy-coated pansy butt was getting kicked bigtime by the bugs. We taught people how to boil water ahead of time and let it chill overnight for drinking (thinking ahead). Never stuck. They would just go back to the tap because it was easier.

There are also fewer laws controlling water pollution - so every factory dumps leftovers into the streams. Over here, that's the fodder that fuels Erin Bragovich-like lawsuits. Out there, it's life. You just live with it.

I got amoebas, parasites, the whole gamut. Took the meds to get rid of it all when I came home. Now I have the "lifetime ban" from giving blood.

And I was not "weak" by any means...

This is a topic I had thought I had some familiarity with, until I read the link. Good stuff. Wish I could get my wife to read that, but doing so would probably threaten her sense of security. Heck, she is ready to throw away food when we get more than two weeks worth in the pantry, let alone build a pantry for a year. :mad:

The writer's perspective on handguns is also interesting. I can now see how handguns might play a much more important protection role in an economic SHTF situation. You read so much blather on the net about how you need a battle rifle and thousands of rounds of ammo, but unless the Zombies come over the hillside en mass, a battle rifle seems unlikely to be very useful (relative to its cost anyway).

Let's hope we don't go where Argentina has gone. The way things are being managed, it might not be out of the question though. :(

Jeff

A drip chlorinator can do more for overall health than anyhting except soap and water.

When it comes to quality, a rifle often costs less than a handgun. Cetme semi-auto .308's are pretty cheap. SMLE's in .308 are really cheap. Buying anything used of course means using a trustworthy seller and checking it out for safety and function before you really need it.

Thought-provoking stuff from someone who lives the situation every day.

Grim reality. Katrina/NOLA showed that many people are just barely in check. Others understimate danger. Others don't prepare.

I just realized having gone through 3 hurricanes (cats. 5, 3, and 3) has taught me a lot. I don't consider myself a "survivalist" - just experienced at being ready for bad shlt.

Watcherazz at the doorway- and the ATM- in fact, everywhere.

Preparedness is a mindset. Then, locations don't matter.

Ad Astra :(

That was a very interesting read. Good info can definitely be gleaned from that one.

Nam

Must have book for home library- Tom Brown Jr.'s Guide to Urban Survival.
I agree with him that you have to have a balance of practical skills but not the paranoia of survivalists. Cultivating a real relationship with Mother Earth leads to a spiritual dimension that is much healthier than taking a purely physical approach. Just my meager 2 cents worth.

Daniel Koster said:
I got amoebas, parasites, the whole gamut. Took the meds to get rid of it all when I came home. Now I have the "lifetime ban" from giving blood.

Geeze Dan, what did you catch to get the lifetime ban?

I haven't given blood in a couple of years. They keep banning me one year at a time. Each time I go in after a ban expires I fill out their travel questionairre and they say:

"You went WHERE? Come back in a year and if you're not dead or symptomatic we'll think about taking your blood."

There are a lot of things that can get the ban. I was an avid donor with over 5 gallons on my record before I hit the loser's list (Malaria)...can no longer donate for any reason. I was disappointed...but still have my donor scars as a keepsake. FWIW, I didn't get my first tattoo until I hit the list as that would have been enough to stop me.

I was initially banned because I was a receipient of blood because of blood loss from surgery. Since then I am banned because of the drugs I take.
Still a registered organ donor although I don't understand why they won't take blood yet will take my organs if they're usable.

I tried to be a good guy and donate blood every three months when the blood van came by work, but the last three times they butchered my arm so badly it was horribly bruised and sore for a week afterwards, so I said to hell with it. The last time the woman was mad at ME because she couldn't find the vein, so just totalled my arm.

That time I joked with them that I really had _thought_ about wearing a condom, but hey, when would I ever have a chance to get back to Haiti again? :D

They didn't seem amused...

Someone posted about people barely being in check and others being unprepared . I have to agree on both counts . I used to work with people who would rob you or saboutage your equipment or chances for advancement . I can only imagine what these people would be like in an emergency situation . I didn,t like the idea of being prepared for every eventuality as I believe in self fulfilling prophecies . I don,t think I can keep that attitude/position any more . I think the least a home should have is a well prepared B:O:B: (bug out bag . ) I have a good alice style backpack which will be the center of this project . I have a spare two man tent which I can add to this with a spare maglite as well as knives and cooking equipment . The least prepared piece of equipment would be me . I,ve already got a mountain bike up and running aside for the need for an oversized seat . (Don,t ask why ) Being a traditional archer I have an advantage in that respect as well as close to being able to make my own bow and arrows from scratch . Even in a termporary emergency of a few days to a few weeks being prepared would make a big difference . I went through an ice storm emergency of a few days of no electricity and a very limited cookstove . I was reasonably comfortable in a big bed with my ex and daughter all huddled up in the same bed . I think the whole idea of a healthier closer to earth lifestyle would do a lot to prepare anyone ,That and a nice sharp Kukuuri .

Back