Thoughts

I posted this down below in the thread that Spark did and thought it should be up here. You can visit it and read the previous posts, if you haven't.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Seems pretty simple to me. If it's fishnet stockings you're talking about, it don't belong on the main board. Poets, unless they are knifemakers don't belong on the main board. Going off topic during a serious thread don't need to happen.

Sitting around the grinder is for when you are reading a thread about some aspect of knifemaking, one that's getting a lot of replies, and the little man in your head tells you to post about the old 84 Ford station wagon you used to own and all the sudden everyone is talking about your 84 Ford station wagon. The guy that started the thread along with serious posters on that thread might laugh at what you posted but inside they are pissed.

The week that generated the new forum was full of that stuff. We've always had OT and didn't really mind it. That week brought it to a head.

If it relates to a knives, knifemakers, supplies, and all the other stuff we've talked about since this board started, it's still ok.

If it's about shooting pool, panty hose, 84 Ford station wagons (unless you got your knifeshop set up in one) and anything else that doesn't have squat to do with knifemaking, put it in the OT forum. Yes, I did get alot of emails and PMs complaining about it and I agree with them.

The concensus was that you guys didn't want to go to the other boards (W&C, Community, Gadgets, etc) like everyone else does here on BF.com. I asked Spark to set the OT forum up, so you guys wouldn't have to.

A little common sense and respect for the other members of this forum is all that's needed.

Whatever...

I know that since I'm not a maker of any type, and probably will never be, that I really dont' have much room to talk here, but that's never stopped me before. :)

I still don't completely understand the reasoning behind making this section for paying members only.
It was stated the many of the makers rarely venture from this small section of the forums. That makes these forums a very small percentage of the overall membership.
This section was made to help keep the main Shop Talk on topic, but then it's made a restricted forum, making it even smaller. Being restricted you're still going to have off topic posts, or posts stray off topic, such as the one IG mentioned. He can't take that one into this section, because the person asking is not a paying member.

It all just seems to be slightly redundant. This section is mostly makers, and it's for the makers, but then you don't allow some of them in. I guess I'm just a bit confused.

BTW, I do understand the whole concept and arguement about becoming a paying member, but singling out a small group and making them pay to access one of thier own forums just seems wrong.

Just my 2¢ and no offense meant to anyone.

IG, I'm still studying on your question. I'll respond in a little while. Waiting on some more information.

Patryn,
Without me being an a$$hole, I checked your Threads Started and there are 0 here in Shoptalk. Pretty much the same with posting there. Why bother to post this? Spark owns this place and we bide by his rules on this forum the same as the rest of Bladeforums.com.

As has been said over and over, the new forum was set up as a place for the guys that contribute to have a place to vent, tell a good joke, talk about his 84 Ford station wagon and other things that don't relate to knifemaker related subjects.

If a guys is unwilling to ante up for at least a Basic membership, that's his call. He don't get a vote. He can still post on the regular forums.

Kit Carson said:
Patryn,
Without me being an a$$hole, I checked your Threads Started and there are 0 here in Shoptalk. Pretty much the same with posting there. Why bother to post this? Spark owns this place and we bide by his rules on this forum the same as the rest of Bladeforums.com.

Which is why I said what I did in my first line.

I enjoy reading the makers forums even though I am not one. I very much hope to be able to buy a knife from some of our resident makers at some point in time. Being able to view what they do, how they go about things, how they interact, helps to give me at least a little insight on some of them.

I have abided by the rules, and I try to follow them the best I can. I'm not trying to be an a$$hole either, but as I said, just my 2¢. I would feel the same and have the same question if part of any forum was broken off.

I'm sorry for intruding on your private little domain. I guess I'm not even meant to read your sacred forums. I will try to avoid anything with the work 'maker' in it from now on. Sorry.

Well I can't speak for no one but myself, but I think IG should be flogged, horse whipped and then dipped into a vat of really salty beer. :eek: :eek:

Seriously the thread started out as a knife related question and did get a bit side tracked but only for a couple short replies. If others would have jumped in and started expressing their family concerns and wishes then the thread should have been immediately closed, but they didn't. In my opinion you have to give some threads a LITTLE lee'way, but if they start off, off topic in the knife discussion area or move totally away from the thread topic started and go off knifemaking topics all together, then they need to be closed down. These are just my opinions and I for one think Kit and Spark have tolerated a great deal to make this forum very beneficial for all really interested in the making of knives. I've been a member here for a little while now and I've received a great deal of help and ideas from many of these clowns. :D I think this new forum was truly needed, that there was way to much nonsense taking up space in the knife talk area, and really if you don't want to join BF as a membership, your not missing out on any real beneficial knife talk anyway by not posting in the "around the grinder forum". I do believe that if your a maker and you frequent this forum regularly for information and ideas, that you should become a member and help support the forum so others will have the opportunity to indulge in the knifemaking knowledge shared here, in the future.

Bill

Patryn said:
I'm sorry for intruding on your private little domain. I guess I'm not even meant to read your sacred forums. I will try to avoid anything with the work 'maker' in it from now on. Sorry.

Its not about a secret club or any horseshit like that. Its just for the shoptalk folks to BS without having to go join a different gang in W&C or the Cove. The reason its paid members only is that this forum is expensive to run. Spark doesn't want to make it pay to play, but if he can come up with incentives here and there like special subforums he's not making anyone miss out on anything of importance and he gains more support for the place.

Kit, you mean about flogging, horse whipping and dipping IG. Cool, I'll get the salt. :D :D :D :D

Bill

B . Buxton said:
Kit, you mean about flogging, horse whipping and dipping IG. Cool, I'll get the salt. :D :D :D :D

Bill
Hey!!! As the old saying goes sticks and stones can break my bones, but leather and lace excite me. :D :D and a little salt goes good with Jose' HEHEHE!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

B . Buxton said:
I've been a member here for a little while now and I've received a great deal of help and ideas from many of these clowns. :D
Bill

I think you said something important with that statement, Bill. Some of the people who help others the most are also some of those who "clown" the most.

As a single example, I'd have to say that Dan likes to joke. He also went to the trouble of putting up knivesby.com to help people with tutorials in the rudiments of knifemaking. I doubt he did that for himself, since he's had a wee bit of experience making knives. ;) No, he did it for the knifemaking "community", to help others along. That site gets pointed to a lot, here.

My point is that this is a place of community and without the ability to carry on a bit the place becomes sterile and there is less inducement for someone to tell a newbie where to buy belts for the thousandth time.
Without some opportunity for diversion, many who help the most will lose interest.

If the ownership has made the decision to insist that Shoptalk be kept on topic, then I think this subforum serves a critical purpose by allowing a venue for the off topic diversion that keeps a lot of people around here that also help a lot, too. I am grateful Spark and Kit decided to allow us a place to party, still.

Sure, it's more fun to intrude on someone's thread and divert knifemaking into crossdressing, but, heck, we all know you can only pull sis's pigtail so long before Mom's gonna beat yer a$$........ :D So, you take yer whupping and then go looking for the cat, cuz it's got a tail to pull.... :p

Around the Grinder is a good thing, IMO, given the alternative, and I'm sure Spark knew exactly what he was doing by creating it. Amonth from now it'll feel just like home again. The "house" just had a new room added on is all.

I also like to have this place to list off topic posts. Lord knows I have been guilty (many times) of posting off topic threads and it is great to have a specific place to post them. Plus with it being a sub-forum of shop talk, all of our paying and non-paying buddies can easily view it.

IMHO, the Basic Member subscription is very little to ask in return to be able to post here. If there is a service you want, or a feature you want, then shell out the few dollars to make it happen for yourself.

I just recently upgraded to Knifemaker. Primarily to be able to post in the for sale area. I wanted the opportunity to post there, have a chance to sell some knives, but more importantly try to get more exposure to potential customers.

Secondarily I subscribed because I have been gleaning good info from this site for years, and I felt that is was past due for me to help keep this place going. It is definitely a purchase I was happy to make and it has many more benefits than just being able to post in "restricted" areas.

I think it was needed and is an asset to BF. Now I don't need to feel bad about posting OT and disrupting the main forum. If you look at the situation, there were only a few options;

1) Continue to "upset" the shop talk forum with OT topics.
2) Have OT topics banned from Shop Talk.
3) Create a new sub-forum for OT.

#3 is the obvious winner, and if it can drive in a few extra dollars to keep this place going, I say Amen Brother.

My $.02 .......... I think adding this little place is a wonderful idea.

I love to see what Jeff Higgins is gonna say next.......
I love to see what I.G. is gonna have for a response.........

If you keep your ear to the screen, you can pick up on the fact that Fitzo has a wonderful sense of humor, and that Mark Williams has to look into a crooked mirror to make his head look straight :D :D

I paid a few dollars to join.......I will continue paying.......It is the best doggone money I have spent in a long time.

Keep it up ........I love a good laugh, and this is the place to find one. (Now that I have found where the O/T Nutz hang out, I may feel a little better about sharing my slightly warped sense of humor from time-to-time)

By the way........Where can I get a left rear bumper guard to fit an 86 Ford Station Wagon?

Robert

Roosko said:
My $.02 .......... I think adding this little place is a wonderful idea.
Keep it up ........I love a good laugh, and this is the place to find one. (Now that I have found where the O/T Nutz hang out, I may feel a little better about sharing my slightly warped sense of humor from time-to-time)
Robert
Robert: You have more than a slightly warped sense of humor, you ride RICE. :p ;) :D

Roosko said:
...you can pick up on the fact that Fitzo has a wonderful sense of humor...
Robert

Robert, thank you, Sir! Nancy says that makes two of us now who think that! ;) :D

As the old saying goes sticks and stones can break my bones, but leather and lace excite me.
Im with you George ;)

This forums was for OT talk not secert butt buddy talk like some other forums.

indian george said:
Robert: You have more than a slightly warped sense of humor, you ride RICE. :p ;) :D
Yea George, but look at the money I save on Oil and "Oil-Dry" and replacing parts that vibrated off :D

Roosko said:
Yea George, but look at the money I save on Oil and "Oil-Dry" and replacing parts that vibrated off :D
HEHEHE!!!! When your Rice Burners get to be 57 years old then we will talk about oil leaks. :p On sorry I forgot!!! Rice is like a Bic Lighter once you burn them out you just through them out. :eek: :p :D HEHEHE!!!

Back