Thumbnail history of HI.

It appears that I have 10 HI items in the house currently. Everything from a 12 inch sirupti (one of a pair I bought last winter) to the 20inch plus Sirupti villager that was my first.
I guess that puts me in the lower third of the pack, just like when I graduated High School :)

Being the 1st Malaysian bought khuks from Pakcik Bill, I have few khuks made during the Shop 1 period. The 1st one arrived in Malaysia is Dhaju the 15" AK, then came 20" Sirupati, 15" BAS, 12" Dhankuta, 16.5" Hanuman, 18" WW II and 15" Sirupati. I have the last 18" 18th Century hatchmarked sold by HI from Shop 1.

During the Shop 2 period I bought few khuks for my office colleages. I have 2 Billtons made during Shop 2 period.

From Birgorkha shop I have few Khuks made by Bura such as 18" Tin Chirra, 18" Mala, 21" Sirupati, 25" Sirupati, 18" Gelbu Special, 18" UBE, couples of Kagas Katne, 20" Chainpuri and the latest one is a 21" Berk Special. I have a 25" Kumar Kobra made by Sonu.

Couples of Malaysians bought HI products after sought sort of consultation from me!

I still remember my Kashmiri friends who made arrangment for my 1st purchase from Pakcik Bill commented about Dhaju my HI 15" AK "Wow! It is a real thing! An original one!"

Thanks Pakcik Bill for introducing khuks to me and couples of my friends in Malaysia! Pakcik Bill is a very helpfull and trustworthy person from the very beginning. In fact most of my purchases were delivered to me before Pakcik Bill received my payments! It is more like friendly relationship rather than business deal when come to purchasing khuks from pakcik Bill (and makcik Ang Yangdu).

Thanks again Pakcik Bill.

"Every man takes care that his neighbor shall not cheat him. But a day comes when he begins to care that he does not cheat his neighbor. Then all goes well."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Worship", The Conduct of Life (1860.)

That is a good story, Uncle Bill.

And I was proud of myself for owning 8 HI products... Thanks a lot for making me feel good, guys. :grumpy:

Travis

HI khukuris ruined me for all other knives. I just can't buy a knife anymore
saying "yeah, but it won't chop tree limbs or pry open a padlock like my HI's"

seriously, I have play knives (ie, knives just to look at and admire) and defense knives (of which many are khuks), but then I have my real knives that are for doing actual work...the ones I'd bet my life on in a survival situation: HI khukuris.

And I second the statement that Uncle Bill is at least 50% (probably alot more) of the reason that these knives sell so well, and that so many of us are repeat customers.

I haven't bought any khuks in quite awhile. the reason= no money to spare, and a great collection of them that fit my needs very well.

Frankly I don't understand (nor tolerate very well) people who don't like or appreciate these knives. I just don't get how they DON"T get it!!

Well,

I'm down to only five H.I. imported products, plus the little paper/rabbit knife. (Oh, and plus the SARGE knives.)

Yes, the quality of the product is important... but, you know...

it was the Forum (Cantina) that prompted me to buy in the first place. For better or worse, this ... er ...collection of diverse personalities, and all their respective experiences...was the reason for spending $ I don't have for a product I really didn't know much about.

When I arrived, suitably cynical, I figured anybody could and would puff up their products on the internet. So, hearing about Nepal and the good being done there was taken with a grain of salt.

It was the repeated (relentless?) reinforcement of folks from all over the world that sealed the deal. Then, of course, there is Bill M., sui generis.

Aside from the khukuris, Bill M and the folk at the Cantina have served to soften my view of the world and some of its inhabitants. I know the world would keep on spinning without this organization and its off-shoots, but it would be less of a place for me, should that happen.

Kis
enjoy every sandwich

I sort of “stumble” on HI about two years ago when I was searching the Web for information on another knife, the “Corvo” (Chilean knife). I found a HI forumite’s website that had some info on the corvo, and also a link to Himalayan-Imports. When I read the website, I knew I had to place an order. Before HI I had a couple of “tourist models” (junk) khukuris, but now I have eleven HI products and planning to add more to my collection.

For me the main reasons why I keep coming back to HI are: Uncle Bill’s way of doing business, quality and diversity of HI khukuris, huge amount of information on HI website, and The Cantina.

Bruise... Uhh... Well... Hmm... Still... Only eight... :rolleyes:

The summer job is what did it to me... Good pay, and good deals on the site... Well, it added up, and left me with eight khuks... Then a few more that I've traded away as well... Let's just say I'm off to a good start. :D

Well, I've given 5 or so away..and I'm a little unclear how many I own. I think around 14?

I'd own more if my firearm need hadn't reared it's ugly head this summer.

As for a Short History of HI, it is good to read this great tale again.

When Bill said, "That's my story" I was sorely tempted to add, "And I'm sticking to it."

Good thread.

munk

Five years and maybe 60 khuks. That makes it one a month - give or take.

One a month for the rest of your life... could be worse! ;)

I used to have a list of all mine but don't know where I put it or what and don't even remember how many I had at my peak or how many I have at the present, especially after Nasty came and went through my goodies.:rolleyes: ;) :D One of these days I'll get a wild hair and get 'em all out, the ones left anyway, and take a pic of my collection as it is now.
One of these days I might have to go Gold and get rid of some more, especially after the 17" Foxy Folly comes into reality. If I could have bought the Foxy Folly to begin with I may have not ever bought near as many khuks as I have.:D ;)

Hey! I think I only lightened your load by three Edutsi...there were more I was after, but you stopped me! ;)

Nasty said:
Hey! I think I only lightened your load by three Edutsi...there were more I was after, but you stopped me! ;)
That was only because I was concerned that your significant other would have something to eat the next couple of months Uwinv.;) :D

I decided to look around yesterday to see if I could come up with a number. There are about 60 HI products in my house.

Raghorn quietly took one or more of each. No fuss, not a lot of gloating, just khuks.

Rusty, you have 60? What the heck was in the bucket I saw? Where there really 60 there or was this just the 'bucket' you keep out for guests?!!

All of you with more khuks than I must pay a heavy karmic load. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

munk

Make that two buckets. Plus the "spare" bedroom that serves as Fibber McGee's closet in our house has at least a dozen or more tucked away so the wife won't notice.

I was introduced to K's yr's ago,then ran into a friend OF BILL'S at a gun show selling HI,we spent quite a bit of time discussing K's.Then I got a "few" from HI,met Uncle & Yangdu here in FL.we have become friends for awhile...met some other CANTINA -ITES & made some lasting friendships. So,yeah,I have a "few"K's & the first HI K ring(really beat up from wearing,wish Bill had a newer one I could purchase)!
THE :cool: DUCK!

Clifton, you're the one who has the collection of the retired Master Kami whose name is alluding me at the moment.

I remember a time we couldn't buy any M43's because you scarfed them up all the time.

munk

Back