Thumbs up for Benchmade quality and customer service

Hello,

It must have been January 2004 that I bought my first "high quality" knife: a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. I openend the blue box and I was surprised with the sharpness and sturdiness of this little folding knife. This Mini Grip spend a couple of years in my pocket as an EDC. No need to mention it was used and resharpened often!
After nearly 10 years of use, the knife blade is still in good condition (it lost 1 or 2 mm in width), the plastic scales are worn but still have a lot of life in them and the pocket clip looks good!

2rg28o3.jpg

izn51y.jpg

Fast forward to 2012, the pocket clip screws and one of the screws that fix the plastic scale to the steel liner wore out. I emailed BM customer service and explained them that I had this knife for almost 8 years and that a couple of screws had worn out due to periodic assembly/disassembly. I was not hoping for a warranty, I asked for a goodwill gesture.
To my surprise, they shipped me a complete set of screws and a new pocket clip for my knife! Talk about great customer service! Thumbs up BM! :thumbup:

My conclusion: the mini Grip is a superb EDC knife and BM stand behind their products! Heck, I even bought a spare griptilian... but I doubt mine will ever wear out! :)

Regards,
Davy

Did you read my mind? I was just about to post up just about the exact same story about my Mini-Grip D2. Lost the pivot screw when my knife was dropped / lost last winter and I found it when the snow melted.

Anyway, I was cleaning it up and lost the pivot screw. I asked to purchase a new one and instead they sent me a new pivot screw and blade clip. Awesome CS!

+1000 for the quality of the experience BKC provides; from their customer to product services, and in the hundreds of models that have come and gone over time there was only one knife they could not repair for me. During the process, they made a number of offers to build me something new, and what I chose arrived in perfect condition along with an apology for my patience...the one I wanted wasn't in production so they built one when they had the time to spare.

From friendly calls to replacing pivots, washers, Omega springs...it goes on from there. Thanks Benchmade! :thumbup:

I too have just had a positive experience with Benchmade's Customer Service.:thumbup: They were quick to reply to my e-mail inquiry offering to not only replace a broken scale (ran over it with my tractor) but to check the entire knife if I sent it back. Turns out that I turned down their offer as I had decided to use the run over knife for parts for my other Griptilians in the future and I had already assembled a Griptilian from an orange Griptilian that wasn't pleasing to my eye and the good black scale from the run over Griptilian. It'll come in handy for Halloween.:rolleyes:

halfandhalf551griptilia.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you everyone,
I will make sure these kind words get passed along!

Modoc, those are my favorite colors :thumbup:

I like that a lot. If it were mine id consider an orange and black lanyard to tie it all together. :)

Benchmade bashers and blade "expert" pretenders like Nick S on YouTube make me :rolleyes: Its all about "clicks". Think Skip Bayless:eek:

I was also coming here to post about another great experience with CS!!
I sent in my 908-1501, one of my absolute favorites! I stripped out 2 screws. Sent it in a few days before Blade. Got an e mail a few days ago apologizing for the delay! I wasn't aware there was a delay at all!
Knife will be back tomorrow with all new hardware!!
The best CS I have ever dealt with......by far!!
Joe

Benchmade bashers and blade "expert" pretenders like Nick S on YouTube make me :rolleyes: Its all about "clicks". Think Skip Bayless:eek:
i dunno about you, but when i pay for $200 knife i want to get a knife i dont have to send back. i mean i have several other brands without issues but all the benchmades ive had have had f&f issues. then when i go look to see if others had the problem i found an over whelming majority having the same issues.

just saying, in my perspective, dont buy a benchmade sight unseen unless you want to send it to benchmade if any issues are found.

F&F aside, benchmade has great materials, great heat treatment and solid axis lock when broken in. yes apparently the support is great too, as it should... but lets get them out of the factory better more often.

Last edited:
Hello,

It must have been January 2004 that I bought my first "high quality" knife: a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. I openend the blue box and I was surprised with the sharpness and sturdiness of this little folding knife. This Mini Grip spend a couple of years in my pocket as an EDC. No need to mention it was used and resharpened often!
After nearly 10 years of use, the knife blade is still in good condition (it lost 1 or 2 mm in width), the plastic scales are worn but still have a lot of life in them and the pocket clip looks good!

2rg28o3.jpg

izn51y.jpg

Fast forward to 2012, the pocket clip screws and one of the screws that fix the plastic scale to the steel liner wore out. I emailed BM customer service and explained them that I had this knife for almost 8 years and that a couple of screws had worn out due to periodic assembly/disassembly. I was not hoping for a warranty, I asked for a goodwill gesture.
To my surprise, they shipped me a complete set of screws and a new pocket clip for my knife! Talk about great customer service! Thumbs up BM! :thumbup:

My conclusion: the mini Grip is a superb EDC knife and BM stand behind their products! Heck, I even bought a spare griptilian... but I doubt mine will ever wear out! :)

Regards,
Davy

What blade steel is in your Mini Grip?

Understood Mo.
But there are a bunch more people that haven't had any of these issues at all.
Of the 30 or so I have bought, I haven't had a single issue. Only times I have used their CS were for second hand knives I purchased or my own screw ups.....dropped a brand new 581 and put a huge chip in the blade. $40 and 2 weeks later had a brand new blade and all new hardware. Edge was sharpened to perfection also.
I think there are a LOT more people satisfied with their knives, but they rarely post about them.
The ones who aren't happy about it from the rooftops till their throats bleed and every human on the planet hears them.
Take you, for example. You saw a thread started on BM customer service, and felt a burning need to post your complaints.......again.
We have heard you.
Joe

i dunno about you, but when i pay for $200 knife i want to get a knife i dont have to send back. i mean i have several other brands without issues but all the benchmades ive had have had f&f issues. then when i go look to see if others had the problem i found an over whelming majority having the same issues.

just saying, in my perspective, dont buy a benchmade sight unseen unless you want to send it to benchmade if any issues are found.

F&F aside, benchmade has great materials, great heat treatment and solid axis lock when broken in. yes apparently the support is great too, as it should... but lets get them out of the factory better more often.

Understood Mo.
But there are a bunch more people that haven't had any of these issues at all.
Of the 30 or so I have bought, I haven't had a single issue. Only times I have used their CS were for second hand knives I purchased or my own screw ups.....dropped a brand new 581 and put a huge chip in the blade. $40 and 2 weeks later had a brand new blade and all new hardware. Edge was sharpened to perfection also.
I think there are a LOT more people satisfied with their knives, but they rarely post about them.
The ones who aren't happy about it from the rooftops till their throats bleed and every human on the planet hears them.
Take you, for example. You saw a thread started on BM customer service, and felt a burning need to post your complaints.......again.
We have heard you.
Joe
i felt compelled to reply based on his trolling response. and as i mentioned in that thread prior with many links, videos and other threads here with lots of complaints of the same issues. i havent said much since then on the subject.

also since then, the benchmade tech said he mentioned these issues to the assembly line. should be less of an issue going forward in the coming months and years (assuming they dont go back to normal).

What blade steel is in your Mini Grip?
This thread is from 2013

Back