• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Thunderstorm Kevlar {All sizes now in stock!!}

Who would be interested in some 1" thick blocks of this?

• That would be great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I thought I would let you all know that I am now selling a new handle material, I am calling it Thunderstorm Kevlar.
It is an industrial made Kevlar composite, with brass fibers running through it.
For finishing, it will have the small brass wires that can stick out and will need buffed off. I find polishing with a terry cloth rag does a good job of grabbing and breaking off the fibers and leaves a nice finish. It takes a very good polish.

The other cool aspect of this material is high heat resistance. It is rated up to 600 degress F, more than twice that of Canvas micarta!

I have been working with the manufacturer, and have a small qty available to ship right now. I will be selling it in 10"x10" squares, and currently have 1/8",3/16",1/4", and 3/8". Here are the prices, and shipping will be in a USPS med flat rate box at $13. I can fit quite a few sheets in one box.

Also I am checking interest in some 1" blocks of this for hidden tang knive. If there is enough interest, I will get some to put up for sale.

14 pcs-1/8" 10x10" - $60 each
8 pcs-3/16" 10x10" - $72 each
4 pcs-1/4" 10x10" - $96 each
6 pcs-3/8" 10x10" - $112 each

Blocks and Bowie size blocks now available!! $40 each

Please PM or email me to make a purchase. Paypal works best for me.

The material comes flat/smooth sanded(about 120grit finish), not glossy like Micarta comes. The nice thing about that, is that it is ready for glue up with little or no prep to the back.
I have included pics of the a finished knife I used it on, and also a pic of what the material will look like when you receive it.

Take care!!
Here it is when finished

As it ships

Last edited:
Here a couple great knives using it.

Jonny Mac

Ryan Weeks

Jared Oeser

Gene Ingram

Thanks guys, it looks even better in person!

Hey Ben-

Can you get some samples in 1" without buying a pallet of it? I'd be interested in seeing how it would work for a hidden tang knife.

Or is it possible to buy a small bit of the thinner stuff, just to try it out? I like the idea of this stuff, for something different, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to buy a whole box of it.

Thanks Ben! :)

Hey Ben I'd like a plate of the 1/8". I got a plan for the thin stuff. Looks good bro, let me know where and how much to paypal

Hey Ben-

Can you get some samples in 1" without buying a pallet of it? I'd be interested in seeing how it would work for a hidden tang knife.

Or is it possible to buy a small bit of the thinner stuff, just to try it out? I like the idea of this stuff, for something different, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to buy a whole box of it.

Nick if you made one of your frame handle hunters with this stuff that would be so sick!!!

I just finished up these. :D
They are the same color, the lighting was just diffferent.

I'm excited to try this stuff! I know it's not going to float EVERYbody's boat, but if that was a rule we had to work by... we would never be able to make anything.

I'm excited to try this stuff! I know it's not going to float EVERYbody's boat, but if that was a rule we had to work by... we would never be able to make anything.

Thanks Nick, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I just ponied up for some of this in 1", it should be ready in about a week. I will start a new thread when I get it in and cut up.
I will be cutting some normal 2" x 5" blocks and some Bowie size blocks also, probably 1.5" x 2.5".
Stay tuned!

Back