Ti Kiridashi VS Tamahagane small utility knife cutting feedback and vid

Here's the link to youtube vid:
Zubeng's Tamahahane knife: https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/knives-by-maker/zubeng.html

Got the kiridashi a few weeks back and decided to do a cutting test vs one of my other fav knives. Anyway. Here are my thoughts
- in short, the edge configuration was the only thing that allowed this small utility knife to very slightly edged over the kiri for slicing cardboard boxes.
- however, as for cutting performance, both are on equal grounds.
- Small utility is supposed to be Rc 62-64
- Kiridashi is in the low 50's
- considering the ti kiri is heat treated to a softer hardness, the ti kiri was just as sharp, maybe slughtly less.
- my thought is the kiri doesnt force its way through as well as the small utility. But I feel that's edge length and geometry. Perhap being slightly softer also makes impact. tho I suspect the last makes little difference.
- thus, considering the vast difference in hardness, the ti kiri performed above its estimated performance level.
- incidentally, the level of fine surface scratches were pretty much the same!

Lol I pretty much copied and pasted my thoughts on it in a chat session. It's Sunday, so I get lazy.

Here's the link to youtube vid:
Zubeng's Tamahahane knife: https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/knives-by-maker/zubeng.html

Got the kiridashi a few weeks back and decided to do a cutting test vs one of my other fav knives. Anyway. Here are my thoughts
- in short, the edge configuration was the only thing that allowed this small utility knife to very slightly edged over the kiri for slicing cardboard boxes.
- however, as for cutting performance, both are on equal grounds.
- Small utility is supposed to be Rc 62-64
- Kiridashi is in the low 50's
- considering the ti kiri is heat treated to a softer hardness, the ti kiri was just as sharp, maybe slughtly less.
- my thought is the kiri doesnt force its way through as well as the small utility. But I feel that's edge length and geometry. Perhap being slightly softer also makes impact. tho I suspect the last makes little difference.
- thus, considering the vast difference in hardness, the ti kiri performed above its estimated performance level.
- incidentally, the level of fine surface scratches were pretty much the same!

Lol I pretty much copied and pasted my thoughts on it in a chat session. It's Sunday, so I get lazy.

In your estimation, how do you think the ti blade material as-treated would compare to high carbon steel, if both knives were the same shape and geometry?

I'd say the ti blade would cut, slice, push cut and pull as well as high carbon steel. With Ti particles' resistance to being moved around, the chances of rolling and chipping should be lower theoretically. Push cuts or anything that involved forcing through a material may even be slightly easier thanks to Ti alloy's resistance to movement.

I'd say the ti blade would cut, slice, push cut and pull as well as high carbon steel. With Ti particles' resistance to being moved around, the chances of rolling and chipping should be lower theoretically. Push cuts or anything that involved forcing through a material may even be slightly easier thanks to Ti alloy's resistance to movement.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Back