Ti-lite with flat grind....

I wish Ti lite had flat grind ,similar to some old style Italian stilettos Ive seen, it would cut much better and stab equally as well.Been using it past few days,its excellent knife,very strong and cuts well for what it is.Any opinions...

I prefer the current grind, both for aesthetic and function. The blade is already rather thin and narrow for its length, so adding a full flat grind may cause it to flex too easily. This thing is originally designed for stabbing so a little bit of rigidly is needed. It can cut just fine. In fact my 4" tilite chew through card box most easily vs other CS folder. Because it's so narrow it has very low resistance going through card box.

I like current grind too,but flat grind would suit me better, cuts better and stabs as well.I do not know about flexing though....

Today I tested my aus8 t lite on some carpet, it cut carpet really well and held edge the same as my spyderco endura, almost no difference at all:)! Some of these old cold steel aus8 knives perform as well as vg10 and are even easier to get it sharp.My recon1 in aus8 also performs the same, no noticeable difference with my endura in vg10!Cant wait to try cts bd1 voyager and some of cts-xhp folders!

how is the lock placement on y'alls. mine sits on the other side scale via the detent ball. anyone else's like this?

i like the current grind, but would also like a flat ground version, but we can't have everything.

Mine does fine I was cleaning other day and slipped tip was just couple inches above my leg . Och it went in about 1/4 in I am on blood thinner and in seconds my jeans were blood soaked I got pressure and stopped the bleeding . I cleaned up and couldn't believe that much blood from such a little puncher.
I for several of the old Italian switch blades . If you can get one sharp you better than me and every one else that has tried . I say just stab with them

I accidentally stabbed myself with Ti-lite long time ago while trying to wave it out of pocket,it pierces easily materials like flesh,almost scary.Thats the knife Id choose for defense if I needed a folder to carry.Old Italian stilettos can get sharp, depends on blade,some are dagger ground,some bayonet and some flat.I prefer the flat grind version, stabs like dagger and cuts too.Everything depends on width of bevels.

After wavering around the XHP Hold Out II and XHP Ti Lite VI for a while, finally decided to go for the Ti Lite, got a Zytel Ti Lite 4' for a long time and love the smooth action, with or without using the wave, plus it come razor sharp and cheaper than the Hold Out, which always make little sense to me? If I had to nitpick, I would prefer not to have the holes in the handle, collect dust/lint and difficult to clean...

how is the lock placement on y'alls. mine sits on the other side scale via the detent ball. anyone else's like this?

i like the current grind, but would also like a flat ground version, but we can't have everything.

A little unclear from your description...can't picture what you mean.

The bend in the lock makes it hard to give a figure for lockup percentage, On all of mine the bend itself is pretty well over to the other side when locked, say about 80-85% maybe.... but it seems this gives the knurled flat a good lie all the way across the blade face which I like--it's whole surface engages the blade which seems a much stronger and stable lock to me. A bit of the knurled flat remains in non-contact with the blade on the left as you look at it...room for future wear I guess. In fact, even if the bend were at 100% it would still give the knurled panel full contact all the way across the blade. This configuration seems like a very secure lockup to me, probably the idea of its unique design which is supposedly pending patent. Also, the bend has to add a lot of strength vs. a traditional linerlock setup.

In short, the Ti-Lite lockup is difficult to describe in % numbers due to its design. I feel very confident with all of mine. Seems very strong with all the contact across the blade face--moreso than with other "traditional" linerlock designs.​

I have both Ti-Lites in XHP and another 4" in AUS 8 as a 'beater.' The AUS 8 has held up just as well as the others so far. I like the factory grind as it's part of the whole bayonet stiletto style I find attractive in the first place. Never had a problem with its cutting ability.

As a couple of the posts above reflect, they're also the knives I am most careful with out of all of my collection--I'd hate to slip with one as it would be nasty piece of work for stabbing. The XHP's are also the sharpest out-of-the-box knives I've ever purchased.

I was late getting into the Ti-Lites but they are among my most carried knives now. I really like the style and had eyed them for a long time before finally purchasing one. I was caught up in the "must be a cheap knife"/ "Cold Steel is second rate" thing. Boy was I wrong.

While I like the factory grind, I DO wish they had a lanyard hole. But I understand keeping with the traditional styling of the Italians.

EDIT: I also wish they would come out with satin or polished blades for these, but, C'est la guerre.....

Last edited:
Back