Tiger Claw

Cold Steel Knives

A small shipment of the serrated TIGER CLAW series has been released to ship
There are only a small number of these so I suggest acting fast if you want to grab one of the first run

CLAW_SM.jpg

LINK

Mini version? Its a 3" blade......what am i missing?

If you know karambit you will understand. Do some research on the origin of the karambit, its uses and Silat.

Unless you're using this to trim carpet(im not even sure u need more than 3 inches for that) or use it as a sickle, the karambit has no advantage beyond certain length. If you want reach, you won't even be choosing a karambit. It's like using a glock 19 with 12 inch barrel.

This is also why the Fox 599 karambit(the mini size) is way more popular than the larger model 479.

^what is the mini size of blade needed for it? You arent just educating me youd be educating every google searcher out there. glock 19 example not a good one as im not following. Longer barrels allow for more fps.......glock 19 still holds 15 rounds in free states anyways. Only thing off would be the caliber for hunting hogs with it....but 12 barrel would make it a sbr and that is a very useful thing....for me anyways.

^what is the mini size of blade needed for it? You arent just educating me youd be educating every google searcher out there. glock 19 example not a good one as im not following. Longer barrels allow for more fps.......glock 19 still holds 15 rounds in free states anyways. Only thing off would be the caliber for hunting hogs with it....but 12 barrel would make it a sbr and that is a very useful thing....for me anyways.

I might have an idea why. First let me state that have no experience with silat but I do have a background in kali, a Filipino martial art, that uses many blades including karambits. Karambits are traditionally used in a reverse grip which, in my opinion, is better suited for small to medium sized blades. I believe the reason for this is in part the way the muscles in the wrist and forearm are distributed. Personally I think 3 inches is fine but I wouldn't go much longer. The handle on the other hand does seem a bit large but I'll reserve judgement until I handle one in person.

+1 Mr Tuesday.

Sorry, didn't have time to explain yesterday.

It's not really about the blade length, unless we are talking about a fixed blade karambit where the handle design does not have to depend on blade length. It's more about the handle being too large in this case. Karambit should and is most often being used in a reverse grip, and the handle should really be a 3 finger grip excluding the ring. When maker try to make a karambit folder with longer blade, the handle gets disproportionately bigger to fit the blade(not the hand!). In Tiger Claw's case the handle has a total length of 6 inches --> 5" g-10 + 1" ring. That's too big even for an XXL hand TBH. Of course there are a lot of example of traditional karambits with long blade, but all have relatively small handle, just enough to fit 4 fingers, including the ring.

Again, the problem is not blade length, it's the issue with karambit where the handle gets disproportionately longer to fit a slightly longer blade, like 6" of handle for 3" of blade in this case. Take Emerson Karambit for example, it's a much better design, with 2.6" of blade and 4.65" of handle. Because of that it fits most hands much better. Even their Super karambit with 3.4inch blade has shorter handle. The extra 0.4" of blade doesn't make much different on the front end, but made a big different on the backend.

Also regarding size of the karambit in general, karambit is mostly being used for pressure cutting(i.e. box cutter) as opposed to momentum cutting(i.e. machete). If you want momentum cutting, then sure a longer blade generates more torque, resulting in more powerful cut. For karambit however most of the cut starts at the tip. The longer the tip is from your hand the harder it is to control/leverage. E.g. try opening a box with a box cutter vs with a 12" machete, or holding the pencil on top vs near the tip when writing etc.

Looking at where the karambit is inspired from: Predator(animals, not aliens :cool:) has relatively short claw for a reason. You wont see a tiger with 6" claw, because it's not efficient.

thank you Mr. Tuesday and Hkyew..good info and greatly appreciated.

First video review of the karambit posted by fellow CS forums member Stiletto:
http://youtu.be/EriHXmca-go

I still think the handle is too large, the g10 portion of the handle, excluding the ring is already bigger than his big hand.

Build and quality is top notch however.

These are showing up at most dealers now. Anyone have one yet (PE especially)? Use it? What do you think? Ergos, edge / cutting performance??

the handle is too long for use as a Karambit, a 2.5 inch blade with a MUCH shorter handle would be awesome.

They apparently label it a "hawkbill/karambit hybrid" which is...pretty accurate, in that it's basically a hawkbill folder with a karambit style ring on the end of it.

They apparently label it a "hawkbill/karambit hybrid" which is...pretty accurate, in that it's basically a hawkbill folder with a karambit style ring on the end of it.

Hmm... Good point, in that case I wish CS will make a real karambit..

These are showing up at most dealers now. Anyone have one yet (PE especially)? Use it? What do you think? Ergos, edge / cutting performance??

I've only seen the serrated one available at dealers so far. I just took a quick look and right now, neither Knifecenter, BladeHQ, or the big river site have the plain edge version available.

I've only seen the serrated one available at dealers so far. I just took a quick look and right now, neither Knifecenter, BladeHQ, or the big river site have the plain edge version available.
I've seen them at a couple of places - GPK and NGK. Not sure what the policy is here about listing dealers, but these are reputable at least.

Back