Tim Zowada "puukko" WIP

Kohai999

Second Degree Cutter
Last year, Tim had some unhandled blades for sale to those on his mailing list. I was quick, but someone else was quicker....Tim offered to make me a knife as a consolation. We have known each other since the first Ashokan conference I attended in the mid '80's. His work is readily identifiable and quite refined, imo.

We discussed until we chose a 5" blade, with a 4 1/2" handle, twist pattern damascus, bronze furniture and I would supply some wood from what I have on hand. Sent 3-4 different choices, and Tim liked a piece of stabilized redwood I purchased from Mark Farley at "It's A Burl".

Peter Gill(ptgdvc) gets continued credit for inspiring/bullying me into stockpiling handle materials. Thusly, there is more than enough wood to choose from, three sets of amazing amber stag and three killer sets of black lip pearl suitable for most gent's folders on hand.

The knife is complete and should be on it's way to Paul Long for a nice sheath within a day or so. I asked Tim(who provided excellent communication and photos as the process unfolded) if he would like me to post up a WIP on BFC, and he replied to the positive, so here it is, a completely unplanned WIP....Tim wanted me to advise you all that these are crappy phone shots and not something that he had planned for.
2128v1t.jpg

Steel stacked and ready for welding, I believe it is 01 and L6
1z20ga0.jpg

Welded to handle, first heat
2zsvipe.jpg

Some flux on there
1zwg3km.jpg

Still forging ahead!
161jq12.jpg

Billet forged out
2ij13y8.jpg

Three blades forged to shape
wilisk.jpg

Blades being cycled in liquid nitrogen
29o51lc.jpg

Tim is currently quite(justifiably so) famous for his straight razors, which command a premium price. This is a family shot.
x37k41.jpg

Attempting to cold forge the bronze did not provide good results, it work hardened, Tim had to anneal, bang, anneal, bang.....
szzho6.jpg

The three blades approaching finish ground, and the bronze bar on bottom forged out flat.
16jrc7s.jpg

Quick etch to show pattern, Tim gave me a choice of blades, when I think back to Tim's work over the years, the choice was easy, the tight twist blade in the middle.
30888ph.jpg

Building up the tip of the tang for threading
33jr6a9.jpg

Turning it down to thread evenly
eg6zh0.jpg

All threaded.
2powc3q.jpg

Tapping the rear bolster, or "butt plate", whatever you choose to call it
1yon7a.jpg

Fitting the handle together
2irruqg.jpg

Handle all glued up, rough ground
23kt6du.jpg

Finished handle
2r5w9ef.jpg

The completed knife.
2aj9m4z.jpg

Knife with pants, Chestnut cowhide, brown lizard inlay and brown deer lining....I think it looks wonderful, wanted to show a little more handle than usual because the wood is so nice.
2886x38.jpg

The naked blade is not shy!

Paul Long snapped the bottom two, awesome photos of the knife with the sheath, which was finished in the usual superhuman amount of time.

Paul has been patient and accommodating with me about maximizing the inlay width on the sheaths, and it is one of the many, many reasons why I hold him and his work so dear to my heart.

This knife is very representative of Tim's work and I'll be happy to add it to my collection....it is understated, elegant and completely able to work hard while still looking fantastic.

Thanks for looking!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Tim's a good egg. I haven't spoken to him in a bit, and probably ought to make a point of reaching out...

Cool project, bud. Can't wait to see how it progresses!!!

Tim Zowada is in a league of his own. Very nice piece, STeven! That wood is molten fire--great choice and a perfect complement to the damascus. :thumbup:

Beautiful STeven. Tim has always been a gracious host when Peter and I have lectured at Ashokan, and I've had the opportunity to look over a few examples of his work. We don't see many of his knives here on the forums, so this is a particular treat.

Beautiful STeven. Tim has always been a gracious host when Peter and I have lectured at Ashokan, and I've had the opportunity to look over a few examples of his work. We don't see many of his knives here on the forums, so this is a particular treat.

He doesn't make that many knives anymore Roger, you can see above in the "family shot"....the razors are flying off the shelves for big $$. I think he makes knives as occupational therapy, lol.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

STeven, the electricity must be running through that wood! WOW!

I fear the razor biz is just too good for TZ.

Here is a lousy photo of a similar design from TZ.
orig.jpg

STeven, the electricity must be running through that wood! WOW!

I fear the razor biz is just too good for TZ.

Here is a lousy photo of a similar design from TZ.

Certainly similar, Peter....he has been making variations of that pattern for many, many years....and it works!

The twist damascus blade, wood that I provided and bronze fittings are all unique to this one. Tim built it for me, and that makes it truly special. You and I both occasionally find gems at shows, but when it is built specially for us....there is a connection.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

STeven I am very jealous. :D

I have wanted a Zowada twist pattern Dama knife for years but alas they are very rare.

Back in the 80's when I was a poor kid I was able to afford a really nice twist pattern billet from Tim. One of brilliant local makers Fanie La Grange (sadly passed on now) made me this beautiful simple dagger from the billet. It exposes the wonderful patina and swirl of Tim's damascus.

Enjoy your fantastic knife my friend!:)

DSC00338_zpswg6dbggx.jpg

Hello!

STeven - thank you very much for sharing the in-progress pictures with us! Very enjoyable to watch!

It's great to see that there is some love for "puukko"-style customs here as well - both your pieces are right down my alley, STeven and Peter! Can I talk you two into a handle-material-stash shot? ;) :)

All the best,
Alex

Great knife STeven - congrats

Super piece of redwood.....I know exactly where it came from ;)

Tim is a super guy and I've appreciated everything I've learned from him over the years at Ashokan

Bill Flynn

Hello!

STeven - thank you very much for sharing the in-progress pictures with us! Very enjoyable to watch!

It's great to see that there is some love for "puukko"-style customs here as well - both your pieces are right down my alley, STeven and Peter! Can I talk you two into a handle-material-stash shot? ;) :)
vo9b41.jpg

Photo as requested.....from the top, Ironwood, lacewood, kirelian birch burl, snakewood scales, bog oak, black G10. Other side, BIG sambar stag scales, amber dyed...Culpepper, 3 sets blacklip pearl.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Back