Tips for sharpening M390

JPD61

Gold Member
Hello all. I am not all that experienced at sharpening, I have 4 diamond plates, extra course through fine. I have been able to get most of my knives to I'll call it arm hair sharp. But Microtechs and knives with M390 are kicking my butt. Just sent a double edge in because no matter how much I tried I just couldn't get it Sharpe. Any suggestions/tips ??? Thanks

M390 likes to hang onto a burr, so you need to spend enough time with edge-leading deburring strokes on your finest stone to get rid of it.

OTF daggers have a very unintuitive high angle, so all your instincts about where the bevel is may not be working. The Sharpie should really help here. Also with such a high angle, and so thick behind the edge, you're not going to do as well on the normal tests for sharpness. I'd go with printer paper. You want a clean cut all along the blade on both sides.

M390 likes to hang onto a burr, so you need to spend enough time with edge-leading deburring strokes on your finest stone to get rid of it.

OTF daggers have a very unintuitive high angle, so all your instincts about where the bevel is may not be working. The Sharpie should really help here. Also with such a high angle, and so thick behind the edge, you're not going to do as well on the normal tests for sharpness. I'd go with printer paper. You want a clean cut all along the blade on both sides.
Thanks for the info .

Back