'tis here!!

Yes, at 12:30 PM EST, on Friday, August 24, Christian year 2007 A.D., I received my sword. Not quite what I was expecting, but I'll make do.:p

Still encased in it's cardboard prison.
swordbox.jpg

I must liberate it!
swordknife.jpg

Damn you, brown paper of Hell!
swordopen.jpg

Almost there...
swordpaper.jpg

*Gasp* More cardboard!!
swordcardboard.jpg

...I know this already.
swordlabel.jpg

Plastic was a pain to get off.
swordplastic.jpg

Free at last!!!
swordsword.jpg

I'll certainly post cutting reviews when I find someone to sharpen up the sword and the knife that came with it.

Do yourself a favor before even bothering to put an edge on it. If the pommel will unscrew easily and the handle will come off easily, take a look at the tang. If all seems well and beefy, go ahead and post some pictures of the tang here.

The important thing is that you like your purchase. It is, however, one of the cheaper knock-offs of this sword. Again, I wouldn't even bother to sharpen it if you cannot determine what is inside that grip. Chances are the blade is pretty soft anyway.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

Hotspur; The LOTR craze seems to live on

Do yourself a favor before even bothering to put an edge on it. If the pommel will unscrew easily and the handle will come off easily, take a look at the tang. If all seems well and beefy, go ahead and post some pictures of the tang here.

The important thing is that you like your purchase. It is, however, one of the cheaper knock-offs of this sword. Again, I wouldn't even bother to sharpen it if you cannot determine what is inside that grip. Chances are the blade is pretty soft anyway.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

Hotspur; The LOTR craze seems to live on

I'm rather reluctant to try to take it apart, as I'm not exactly 'handy' in that fashion.

I'm rather reluctant to try to take it apart, as I'm not exactly 'handy' in that fashion.

Well, just consider the ad copy that states it is a cast metal handle and the fact that it came unsharpened. I do see they list it as "battle ready" but I would be hesitant to judge it so without knowing what is going on inside.

Can you take a picture looking straight down on the end of the pommel and another close up of the pommel in profile?

if there is no pommel peen, or nut, it is likely the pommel would unscrew, just like taking out a light bulb.

Barring that, thump it lightly against something fairly solid, as if you were chopping and see if things loosen up at all.

I'd just hate to see you have it sharpened, go cutting at something and the blade become a projectile. It may well be a perfectly sound sword but without knowing what is inside, a crap shoot. Are the cross and pommel magnetic? ie: does a magnet stick to them? To the handle itself? I know you have indicated you visit some other forums. Have you checked out the Sword Buyers Guide boards yet? (sorry, no url bookmarked)
Someone there may be familiar with this particular version.

FWIW, of the discontinued United Cutlery LOTR swords, the Strider Ranger sword had the sturdiest tang but this is not the UC sword and those were stainless steel decorators.

It may seem like folk get preachy about construction and little details but you will find they often have your best interests at heart. The more you learn about historical swords and construction methods, the more you will be able to translate what advertising is trying to sell you.

Good luck with it.

Hotspur; there are times that the unknown can be frightening

Well, just consider the ad copy that states it is a cast metal handle and the fact that it came unsharpened. I do see they list it as "battle ready" but I would be hesitant to judge it so without knowing what is going on inside.

Can you take a picture looking straight down on the end of the pommel and another close up of the pommel in profile?

if there is no pommel peen, or nut, it is likely the pommel would unscrew, just like taking out a light bulb.

Barring that, thump it lightly against something fairly solid, as if you were chopping and see if things loosen up at all.

I'd just hate to see you have it sharpened, go cutting at something and the blade become a projectile. It may well be a perfectly sound sword but without knowing what is inside, a crap shoot. Are the cross and pommel magnetic? ie: does a magnet stick to them? To the handle itself? I know you have indicated you visit some other forums. Have you checked out the Sword Buyers Guide boards yet? (sorry, no url bookmarked)
Someone there may be familiar with this particular version.

FWIW, of the discontinued United Cutlery LOTR swords, the Strider Ranger sword had the sturdiest tang but this is not the UC sword and those were stainless steel decorators.

It may seem like folk get preachy about construction and little details but you will find they often have your best interests at heart. The more you learn about historical swords and construction methods, the more you will be able to translate what advertising is trying to sell you.

Good luck with it.

Hotspur; there are times that the unknown can be frightening

I didn't mean to seem unappreciative; I like learning.:D I don't think my digital camera could handle those pictures; it hates doing close ups. Hates doing anything, for that matter. I did a bit of an experiment a few hours ago. I took a decent swing at a piece of bamboo that was sitting horizontally on two chairs; one end on each. First time, I didn't hit hard enough and it bounced off. The blade isn't even scratched, nor did it wobble or rattle at all. I did it again and crushed through the bamboo (not sharp, so the fibers stayed mostly in tact). Still, no marks, no wobble, no rattle. Not even a scuff. To be honest, that's more than I expected. I'll do the magnet test now.

Ok. The pommel, handle (tang), guard, and blade are all magnetic. I like Sword Buyers' Guide, but I can't even view the newsletter anymore. Also, Mr. Southren has given Windlass some good reviews, so I figure there's some chance I have a decent one. I believe the pommel WILL unscrew, but I would need more leverage than I can produce with just my hands, and I don't have a bench with a clamp on it at my disposal.

Back