TiSpine testimonials?

Greetings! After picking up a few solid carry knives, I've realized that my desire to buy more sub $200 folders has mostly disappeared. I find myself wanting to get a couple of legacy knives to pass on to my kids someday, and am looking at a TiSpine for one.

I'm 37 now, and my maternal grandfather passed 14 years ago, but I still remember the Buck 110 he carried everywhere. It was "a grandpa thing", and is part of my many memories of him. My goal is for the kids to associate this folder with me. I want it to be a daily user, and easy a standout.

Being mindful of daily use, I am wondering if any of you have a TiSpine, and what your experiences have been?

Thank you in advance for all constructive replies.

Upping this in case anyone is interested.

After obsessing over this knife, exhausting youtube, and looking up reviews, it appears that nobody is actually USING this knife.

Since quality use reports weren't provided, I decided to go to KSF's brick & mortar to handle one in person. The associate was very cool and let me handle one side by side with a large Sebenza 21 and a BM 761. As had been reported in some interviews, the lock up was early, but just a tad sticky. Also as reported, the detent was a little on the strong side. It is a VERY tightly constructed knife. The lines are incredible. Feel in hand is a dream. Very slim, very light. Disappeared in pocket, with only that sexy pocket clip visible. After playing with it for a few minutes, I was already used to the detent and the lock. I read somewhere that the pocket clip was springy and wasn't useful as an over travel stop. It was fine to me. While the clip is springy, I could look away, unlock it casually, and know when I was at the stop. It was very evident.

I have never been more in love with a knife. The Sebenza and 761 are fantastic (the 761 action is incredible, blade retention was better than advertised, pocket clip... Why, BM? WHY?!), and I'll probably get a Sebbie some day, but that TiSpine is coming home with me this week, and I intend to carry it full time. That means it'll get frequent use on cardboard and plastic. No safe queens or pocket jewelry. This is going to be a James Bond, tuxedo wearing soldier.

I'll try to remember to do 6 month and 1 year write ups on how it's doing.

Awesome. The TiSpine is definitely on my list to get sometime this year. It just has what knife-folk could only hope for (in terms of technology, aesthetics, fancy blade materials and availability in one package) just several years ago at a ridiculously low price for what you get. I've never been particularly drawn to the Sebenza. If anything, I'd be more inclined to get a Mnandi from CRK.

Hi RBid,

I purchased a matt bronze TiSpine back in 2013 and used it as my EDC for nearly six months. Lionsteel makes a very good knife. I wrote the following review on the USN back then:

"I have purchased my matt bronze LionSteel TiSpine in June. It has been part of my edc rotation for the last six months and it has been used regularly. I am impressed with the quality of this knife!
1) The blade: I was not familiar with ELMAX steel, but this steel has definately impressed me. It takes a super sharp polished edge and holds it for a long time. One point of criticism: the blade came rather dull and appeared to be sharpened at an obtuse angle in the factory. I reprofiled it to +/- 12,5 degrees per side on a whetstone and I added a 20 degrees per side microbevel with the Spyderco Sharpmaker.
2) The handle: The titanium handle resist well to scratches. I have carried the knife loose in my pocket for weeks and I am yet to see any serious scratches. The handle shape is fairly neutral and allows for many different grips. The handle gives a very solid feel because it is milled from one single piece of titanium.
3) Fit and finish: This folder had zero bladeplay! The blade is perfectly centered in the handle.
4) Dimensions: it is a medium sized knife in my opinion. Because of the slim profile and the low rider clip this knife dissapears in your pocket.
5) Opening / closing action: initially the TiSpine was difficult to open one handed. The knife has broken in now and I have improved my technique. Now I can open it one handed.
Finally I would like to add that I doubted between the CR Sebenza and the LionSteel TiSpine before buying this knife. Finally I opted for the TiSpine because in Europe this knife was significantly cheaper then a Sebenza. I don't want to compare the two, but I am definately happy with my purchase!"

And today? Well, the TiSpine is no longer part of my EDC rotation.
The better ergonomics, edge geometry and opening hole location of my Spyderco knives won me over. These days I carry a Native 5 and IMHO it is a better knife.

That said, I wish you a lot of fun with your new knife and I would love to read a long term use review in the future!

Regards,
Davy

Thank you, Davy.

After my last post, I stumbled on the one you pasted here. To date, that has been the most useful post I've found about the TiSpine. I hope that people are able to find value in the consolidation and (hopefully) ongoing discussion here. I appreciate your contribution.

The Native 5 is a great knife, no question. I have a Manix 2 (G-10, FFG, CPM S30V) which I carried daily for a bit. Each of those is more hand filling than the TiSpine, and better for warding off hand fatigue over extended use. They're also great slicers, and made with very good steels for a real user.

In my daily use (primarily cardboard and plastic), I haven't run into tasks for which the difference between Native 5, Manix 2, or TiSpine blade geometry will really matter. I've done heavy cardboard processing with a ZT 0550 on many occasions, and I find that I can get a bit of binding with the fat stock IF I'm processing double walled corrugate with long cuts. In making push/press cuts on plastic bindings or processing anything less than double walled corrugate, most maintained edges I've used have sailed right through. Consequently, I'm favoring stock around 1/8" for strength with a little less drag, but I'm not really concerned with edge geometry. Worst case scenario, I reprofile and carry on.

If anything, the handle is a bigger area of interest for me. I sometimes do 1 hour or so at a time of breaking down corrugates during promo sets, so I am curious to see how my hands feel after that. The fat handle of the 0550 and outstanding ergos of the Manix 2 make extended use very comfortable, but then, I haven't run into issues with hand fatigue in general.

I have looked at the TiSpine many, many times. Almost pulled the trigger a couple of times. I got an all Ti Viper Odino instead. I am really happy with the Odino. The bearing system is so smooth, yet the blade isn't crazy free swinging, so it stays where you put it. Yet, a thumb flick and it flies right open. I will pick up another when they become available again.

To me, the TiSpine is to knives what Ferrari is to cars. It's the sexiest knife I own. I've got the blue/violet handled version and the variations in the handle color are simply spectacular. They cannot be captured in a photograph. Leave it to the Italians to know how to build REALLY gorgeous knives.

Last edited:
To me, the TiSpine is to knives what Ferrari is to cars. It's the sexiest knife I own. I've got the blue/violet handled version and the variations in the handle color are simply spectacular. They cannot be captured in a photograph. Leave it to the Italians to know how to build REALLY gorgeous knives.

I'm picking up a gray/matte one for use, but that choice was made largely because of how entranced I get with the colors on the high shine versions. I don't want to get caught up in babying it, and the matte finish gives me the psychological relief I need to be ok with beating on it. Of course, I agree 100% with what you said, and will probably wind up adding a violet version down the road. The lines on this knife are amazing, and I was blown away by how solid and purposeful it feels in hand. The Ferrari comment resonates-- sexy lines, built to go hard.

Very slick, thin and narrow EDC folders. I have a Matte Gray with Elmax and a Matte Bronze with Raindrop Damascus. However, the one I carry is the Blackwater Aculus version in all black with Elmax. Somewhat understated and it's missing the milling on the handle spine. I do have to tighten the pivot screw every now and then since I don't like Loctite.

2ae2917b-643a-4937-b9df-1294a0654772_zps3bc8484f.jpg

a7819118-0aac-49e3-b142-0dff2be96f29_zps7684d7d2.jpg

Interesting note on the spine of the Aculus. Thank you, RamZar.

Just picked up my gray matte TiSpine on lunch break. Excited to put it to work!

I will chime in here. I got one for a Christmas present for myself. I instantly fell in love. I sharpened it to a mirror finish and it stands toe to toe with my Sebenza, Buck Mayo TNT, Wilkins min grip, etc. I love it so much I sent it off for a custom regrind of the blade. The edge is a bit thick for me and I like FFG blades (hehe this is gonna be fun). All I know is I'll never be letting this one go easily.

Always loved the ti spine but I ended up sticking with the SR-1 when I went through my lionsteel phase.

The ti spine's only flaw is that its forever associated with RYP.

Thanks to KSF being within 7 minutes of the courthouse, I was able to pick up my TiSpine on lunch break from jury duty. Got home about 30 minutes ago and already put a cord fob on it. I wasn't sure if I'd put one on it or not, but I can tuck the fob into the pocket to add drag for retention, just to be safe.

Mine came extremely sharp.

Back