Titanium: 6-4 heat treat/ sharpening/ flexibility

Hello all,

Only my second post, but I am fishing for information about titanium alloys, probably 6Al4V.
I've searched and found good general information from Mecha and a few others, but I'm afraid my (possible) project is specific enough that I need to ask maybe slightly odd questions.

I'm a diesel truck/ machine tech in the south Texas oilfield. I have a habit of making my own (often crude) tools when I can't readily buy something that does what I need. I often need a cutting/ scraping/ notching/ prying tool ready to hand. Hultfors, Mora, and Bahco make "chisel knives" that are halfway okay for this, but no good for hard prying. CountyComm makes an "E.O.D" tool for this from 1045 steel, and it's really heavy-duty. I have one, and I love it. It's only heat treated to upper 40s Rockwell (because it's low/mid carbon, and because a harder steel tool might be to brittle to pry with) so edge retention is only so-so- but it's not a "knife", it's a "tool".

I'm toying with the idea of making my own tool of this sort from 6-4 grade 5 titanium alloy, which would be lighter, non-magnetic, corrosion resistant, and would allow me to choose my own bevels (the CountyComm tool is beveled from both sides along the chopping edge, and I'd prefer both the square tip and the chopping edge to be RH chisel grind, about a 30 degree bevel).

Questions that come to mind:

1. Would a MAPP gas torch and vermiculite firebrick "oven" be adequate to bring 6-4 Ti up to quenching/ hardening temp?

2. If so, would either air cooling or oil quenching harden the bar enough to take a bashing & chopping, wood & brick splitting edge, and still leave it flexible enough to bend a bit without breaking? (Think: busting open a shipping crate made of 2x4s to get an engine part out)

3. Is 6-4 a good choice, or is there a better (commercially available) alloy? What's a good source for 1/4" thick flat bar, plate, or "block" Ti alloy for stock removal- type machining?

4. Am I just nuts for considering this?

Thanks,
Uncle J

Titanium isn't hardened like steel, and it doesn't get into the high hardness range.
You can't do it with a torch, that's for sure. You will need a special HT oven.

The first stage is heating to around 1750F/950C and hold for an hour.
Then it is quenched in water.
Next is a aging process where it is held at around 100F/550C. It is held at that temperature for 4 to 10 hours.

LOL, so you went straight to the answer to question #4. Hard but fair answer, bit of a let down, saves me a lot of time and expense I suppose.

In my reading, I must've missed the "hold at temp for an HOUR" part. So, not impossible, just well beyond my current level of equipment/ involvement. Oh well.

Thank you!

Im sure it could be sent out for heat treatment like any knife
But I know nothing about this

It isn't as easy to shape as steel, it certainly isn't as easy to grind as steel, and HT for a single titanium object would probably be costly. You are booking around 8-12 hours oven time in the HT shop.

Back