Titanium alloy dha

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of my favorite types of blade is the Burmese or Thai "dha," also spelled dah, daab, or dhab. Here's a trio of machetes that are inspired by these sleek, curved SE Asian swords.

The first one is finished, and features a 19" blade and 9" handle, more or less. It's made of Russian BT23 titanium alloy, heat treated to increase hardness and resilience for blade use. The handle flexes along with the blade, so that the entire piece bends as one member. This should be a very useful and comfortable cutting tool.

Dha #1:

dDtuYIb.jpg

7wKODdV.jpg

2SWtcev.jpg

7vGpYl8.jpg

The blade is sheathed in leather, made by Ms. @Oye.

h24pCTn.jpg

UMOyZsg.jpg

Two more are on the way!

Here are the blades as they were being made:

teNeTxL.jpg

cbKeEsT.jpg

wVbh7fj.jpg

jr0NY2e.jpg

uu3LV51.jpg

94TNQgT.jpg

wz5ygK8.jpg

The other two will be posted here as they are completed.

Thanks for looking!

My wife took ours (her's) out and cleared grasses and brush with it. I got to play with it very briefly before she claimed it.

Not the first time that's happened.

How much does this alloy weigh compared to steel? What's the weight of the completed one weigh?

Madscienceforge.com said:
Sword smiths throughout history labored ingeniously to make sword blades light in weight while still remaining strong. Titanium alloys are roughly 65% the weight of iron. Compared to a steel sword, this allows the titanium model to be either larger and more robust for similar weight, or lighter weight in a sword of the same size. Speed of movement is an advantage for a sword wielder, and a prized trait in edged weapons.

Thanks. Lol, just noticed the typo in my question. I couldn't decide between "what's the weight of the completed one" and "what does the completed one weigh" and ended up combining them. šŸ¤ŖšŸ˜„

One of my favorite types of blade is the Burmese or Thai "dha," also spelled dah, daab, or dhab. Here's a trio of machetes that are inspired by these sleek, curved SE Asian swords.

The first one is finished, and features a 19" blade and 9" handle, more or less. It's made of Russian BT23 titanium alloy, heat treated to increase hardness and resilience for blade use. The handle flexes along with the blade, so that the entire piece bends as one member. This should be a very useful and comfortable cutting tool.

Dha #1:

dDtuYIb.jpg

7wKODdV.jpg

2SWtcev.jpg

7vGpYl8.jpg

The blade is sheathed in leather, made by Ms. @Oye.

h24pCTn.jpg

UMOyZsg.jpg

Two more are on the way!

Here are the blades as they were being made:

teNeTxL.jpg

cbKeEsT.jpg

wVbh7fj.jpg

jr0NY2e.jpg

uu3LV51.jpg

94TNQgT.jpg

wz5ygK8.jpg

The other two will be posted here as they are completed.

Thanks for looking!
Awesome blades , as usual . !

But I'd want one redesigned with a stabby point . Just me , probably .

so clean and nicešŸ„°

Back