Titanium alloy federschwert heavy-hitter prototypes

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Every once in a while someone inquires about a titanium alloy "feder," which is a type of European fencing sword that dates back hundreds of years. Feder means feather, and federschwert means feather sword. They're designed to be light at the tip and heavy in the hilt, so as to not carry a dangerous blow, and were used to mimic the longsword in fencing-type sport and competition. The users were called federfechters, which means feather fencers.

This is a matched pair of titanium alloy prototype feders. They weigh about 2.5 lbs each, and are 53" in total length, with a fairly steep distal blade thickness taper, with flats left forged raw. They're virtually identical in weight, dimension, tune, and balance. The hilts are made of titanium alloys, with the parts welded together and directly to the blade tang itself. An unusual construction, but I had limited time to work...

...they were intended to be used at the SoCal Swordfight HEMA competition last month, but the next-day air post failed to deliver them on time. All is well, as they're currently getting used a bunch amongst a few HEMA schools.

As I suspected, despite being lighter than a steel version of a feder, these are too blade-heavy and stiff for a proper feder. These are hard-hitters and probably way too dangerous for normal HEMA practice. You could 'splode a head like it was a watermelon with one of these, break bones, etc. Comically dangerous for a fencing blunt.

Despite that, they were well-received, and much simpler, more refined, and lighter versions can be made in the future.

Feder history and use is long and interesting, and a worthwhile exploration for the use of titanium alloy in the sword world. I'm glad to apply the skills and knowledge gained from making live swords from ti alloys to the world of fencing and HEMA. It's more like making a high-end, high-performance sporting item, instead of a weapon. There should be some made in the not-too-distant future that are much more appropriate for the intended task, and I greatly look forward to doing it.

59x380O.jpg

SnJnh7Y.jpg

dmzEgHV.jpg

Every once in a while someone inquires about a titanium alloy "feder," which is a type of European fencing sword that dates back hundreds of years. Feder means feather, and federschwert means feather sword. They're designed to be light at the tip and heavy in the hilt, so as to not carry a dangerous blow, and were used to mimic the longsword in fencing-type sport and competition. The users were called federfechters, which means feather fencers.

This is a matched pair of titanium alloy prototype feders. They weigh about 2.5 lbs each, and are 53" in total length, with a fairly steep distal blade thickness taper, with flats left forged raw. They're virtually identical in weight, dimension, tune, and balance. The hilts are made of titanium alloys, with the parts welded together and directly to the blade tang itself. An unusual construction, but I had limited time to work...

...they were intended to be used at the SoCal Swordfight HEMA competition last month, but the next-day air post failed to deliver them on time. All is well, as they're currently getting used a bunch amongst a few HEMA schools.

As I suspected, despite being lighter than a steel version of a feder, these are too blade-heavy and stiff for a proper feder. These are hard-hitters and probably way too dangerous for normal HEMA practice. You could 'splode a head like it was a watermelon with one of these, break bones, etc. Comically dangerous for a fencing blunt.

Despite that, they were well-received, and much simpler, more refined, and lighter versions can be made in the future.

Feder history and use is long and interesting, and a worthwhile exploration for the use of titanium alloy in the sword world. I'm glad to apply the skills and knowledge gained from making live swords from ti alloys to the world of fencing and HEMA. It's more like making a high-end, high-performance sporting item, instead of a weapon. There should be some made in the not-too-distant future that are much more appropriate for the intended task, and I greatly look forward to doing it.

59x380O.jpg

SnJnh7Y.jpg

dmzEgHV.jpg
Well done prototype. I volunteer for sparring.

Zieg

good move, entering the sparring equipment market. Could be fairly lucrative, and what you're doing is so outside the box the marketing is baked inđź‘Ź

good move, entering the sparring equipment market. Could be fairly lucrative, and what you're doing is so outside the box the marketing is baked inđź‘Ź

Definitely a worthy thing to try.

Damn buddy! I had no idea you had yer own Forum?!!!

Sure do! Blade history posterity right here, haha.

Those are awesome!

Thanks!

I got the feders back from the HEMA guys, who "beat the fuck out of them," as they said. They had a lot of interesting feedback. Version 2.0 will greatly benefit from the knowledge gained.

Back