Titanium Flask Recommendation?

ARMYOf1

Gold Member
What is the best titanium flask for storing scotch and camping and traveling trips? I recently went on a trip for two weeks and brought three different flasks and when I get home what I had left had turned black. It is
Hibiki 12 year
So I still want to drink it! You guys think it is safe? Will it chrome plate my gut? I assume it turned black through some sort of oxidation with the stainless. I am thinking I need to buy and start to carry only titanium but want to make sure I’m getting a good one. Ive found a brand called called Snow peak but they’re over $130 bucks and then there are some that are under $80 bucks on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with any of these? Snow peak worth the extra $$$?

Last edited:
I've tried many of them, snow peak, vargo...but landed on this one - my hiking flask of choice. The cap is attached (which the vargo and snow peaks didn't have and ended up bugging me a lot), it's high quality and tough and it only costs $31.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SQLPTY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing I would want to change about that one is to give it a wide mouth....which leads to my super heavy stainless steel car camping flask of choice:

https://www.amazon.com/STA02892-BRK...d=1532839531&sr=8-4&keywords=wide+mouth+flask

I love my round Snow Peak flask so much, I bought a second one (electro-anodized the first and will flame anodize the other some day). Made in Japan just like the Hibiki whisky.

If you check the paperwork that likely came with your stainless steel flasks, you'll probably find a statement about removing any contents that remain after 48 hrs (and cleaning). I suppose there's room enough for variability; but both of the flasks I've owned said 48 hrs.
Was never really an issue for me, as I tend to bring the bottle...and use a flask for convenience/shorter periods.
I've considered getting a titanium flask; so I'll be checking out the recommendations.

Trust me, it didn't turn black from oxidation, it's probably some sort of solder 'helping' additive that dissolved in alcohol...
If you get a flask from not a big name manufacturer, fill it up with methylated spitits, and then give it a few good passes of boiling water before you put some of the precious liquids in!!!

And don't try to drink black stuff!!!!!!
Just trust me on that one...

If it is made of one-piece seamless stainless, then it should be good to go, I would have thought.

FYI; methylated spirits = denatured alcohol = rubbing alcohol

Thanks for the recommendation guys! Of the offending flasks, 1 flask was a Stanley, 1 was from Walmart and 1 was from the liquor store. All three of them had some degree of blacking, the Stanley was a flask I had used a few times and it was far less then the two newer ones. I went ahead and ordered the one joules recommended from amazon and will give it a try. I knew if someone knew anything about pocket Scotch and whiskey it would be you guys !!!

Sometimes the same factory makes the same stuff and some brands are just more expensive because of branding.

Some use lower end titanium. They don't publish what type and even if they did it could have been something else anyways, because China.

I got a Keith titanium water cantine. It's decent and I got a good deal via massdrop though it did take over a month to get.

Id say just go for the cheapest version. Just be careful of ti that's too thin. It will dent easily.

Sorry to hear that about the Hibiki... next time just carry the whole bottle with you.

I got the Vargo flask with the attached silicon rubber spout from Massdrop specifically to avoid the issue of stainless affecting the taste. I like it a lot - even picked up a second as a back-up.

Still, if I were going for a long camping trip, I think I'd take a titanium container that could hold substantially more than 8oz.

Thanks guys! This is the thread I didn't know I needed. Keep those recommendations coming!

Brummie, what larger container are you thinking?

There are larger ti drinks bottles you can buy. I have one that’s about 0.75l (can’t remember which brand). That would be enough to last me for a several day trip or resinguy for an overnighter.

I've got the toaks titanium flask, had it for over 4 years now. Great little thing and fits well everywhere.

Back