Titanium for a blade?

Hi, has anybody done a knife with a titanium blade? what type of titanium does mission knives use for their non-magnetic itanium knives and where do you buy it?

6al/4v is what I commonly see which is usualy used as a frame right, is that suitable for a knife blade?

Perhaps Mete can jump in her, but all I know is that I prefer the 6-4 Ti just because it takes the work better. I had some other kind - not sure what it was - but it was TOUGH! That'd be the stuff I'd use for a blade imho. Not sure about longevity of the sharp edge though.

Everything I have read about titanium blades is bad. It just doesn't seem to make a good blade that retains an edge.

I think you would be much better off to stick with the super steels....like 5160 :footinmou ;)

There used to be a good website for titanium but that's gone now. The mission knives website doesn't specify. apparently they have something better than 6-4 Ti.

I bought five titanium survival/diver style blades on Ebay.They are razor sharp, serrated on one side with a line cutter,plain edge on the other,with a chisel end..Seller didn't know what they were,thought they were "some kind of steel".Paid $15 for all five.Used black canvas micarta handle slabs with yellow/black/yellow phenolic tang spacers.Looks real good.Blades seem tough,don't know how long the edge will hold up.If you only use it for survival,though,I guess the edge does not need to be too long lasting. PS: If you grind titanium watch out for the sparks,they are white hot and will set all that wood dust behind your grinder on fire!

6AL4V does get razor sharp. Every time we get a shipment of titanium my hands get cut. However it does not make a good utility knife. To be more specific, 6AL4V is acceptable for one time use when cutting flesh.

Mission uses Beta C titanium. In my opinion, it is currently the only titanium alloy to use for a utility knife. We have some Beta C in .063 sheet that we plan to use for san-mai blades with Timascus.

We also have 6 feet of .690 Beta titanium rod. We are going to try forging blades and pry/digging tools.

The BIG downside of Beta C titanium is availability and price.

Chuck, the avatar just kills me. I'm still laughing.

Steve

Chuck Bybee, when you say acceptable for one time use, do you mean it's enough for just one cut? Any idea what HRC 6AL4V can attain? Thanks.

Steve, it was good seeing you again at the BAKCA show.

cramnhoj,
Let's use the HideAway knife as an example. It is available in 6AL4V and S30V. Its primary purpose is an emergency self defense knife. Using 6AL4V titanium works well in this situation because it is very corrosion resistant so it can be carried in a sheath against your skin. It also can be sharpened to an effective weapon. The weight is 60% of S30V so it is easy to carry. If someone assaults you, you can slash them and make your get away. After using, resharpen the knife and you are prepared again. 6AL4V would not be good for whittling hardwood. If you want a utility knife for opening boxes, cutting rope, trimming wood etc, buy S30V because it will hold an edge much longer. Does this make sense?

6AL4V can be hardened to the low to mid 40's. Beta C can be hardened to to the mid to high 40's. However, both alloys are incredibly tough.

I'm very interested to test a knife made from forged Beta C titanium against carbon and stainless steels.

Back