Tivoli Audio Model One Table Radio?

Yeah, I know…there are probably better places to ask this question than a cutlery discussion forum
smile.gif
. Still, I’ve finally decided to replace the miserable little clock radio in my office and I was wondering if this product might be a good choice. It’s a Henry Kloss-designed table radio that’s about as simple in appearance and function as a radio can get (although it allegedly has some pretty sophisticated innards). I just want a relatively small AM/FM radio that has good reception and reasonably good sound quality (no need for CD/tape player or remotes). The selections of table radios and boom boxes that I’ve seen in the local electronics stores are pretty dismal…they all seem to be targeted at a juvenile market that’s more interested in flashing lights and pseudo-high tech designs than performance and value (almost everything I saw looked like leftovers from the set of a cheap sci-fi flick
rolleyes.gif
). The Tivoli Model One seems to be everything that the competition isn’t…minimalist retro-funky design, impressive pedigree and reasonably priced. All of the reviews I’ve found of this radio seem to be very positive, and I’m very intrigued by the concept…I just want to make sure that I make at least a minimal effort to sort through the hype before I make my decision. So, does anyone have any experience with this radio? Or any suggestions for quality alternatives? Thanks…

Jim

I’m sure you’re right, Paul…I’ve heard lots of good things about the CSW Model 88s. In fact, I recently ordered one and had it shipped to my Mom to replace a stereo that was recently stolen from her home (she probably won’t appreciate it
rolleyes.gif
). I discovered the Tivoli Model One during the course of my on-line research on the CSW 88, and I was thinking that its size might be a little more appropriate for the office (I’m also fascinated by its simplistic design). I was also a little concerned by some of the reviews that indicated that the tuner on the 88 might have difficulty picking up faint stations…that’s a major concern in the building in which I’m currently incarcerated…er, employed
wink.gif
. They both sound like seriously good products…I’m just trying to decide which of the two intrigues me the most. Decisions, decisions…

Jim

Nice looking equipment, gents. You may also want to take a quick look at the Proton RS-330. It's perfectly filled my requirement for a good quality, good sounding radio for use in the workplace. And as a bonus, it's just inconspicuous enough that I haven't had to worry about it being lifted by the evening janitorial crew.
wink.gif
It also has digital tuning with memory presets, so jumping between stations is a piece of cake. There's also an RS-332 unit sold separately which can be combined with the RS-330 to provide true stereo sound. You can see them here:

http://www.themegifts.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/audiophile/products/audpr330.htm?E+scstore

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I just thought I’d follow up on my original posting…

I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and order the Kloss Model One radio…I’ve had it for a couple of days and I’m extremely pleased with it. It seems that all of the glowing reviews I read weren’t just hype in this case. I’m not enough of an audio geek to be able to comment intelligently on its performance characteristics, but I’m astounded at the quality of sound it produces. It’s definitely head-and-shoulders above any of the portable or mini systems that I’ve heard recently (some of which cost several times the price of this unit). Granted, it doesn’t have a lot of features…it just excels at what it is intended to do. Simple design, great fidelity, incredible reception (and that’s just using the internal antenna…it should be truly amazing with an external antenna hooked up), furniture-quality wooden cabinet, convenient size and a lot of funky charm…it just pushes all the right buttons with me. It’s definitely one of the more satisfying non-cutlery purchases I’ve made lately
wink.gif
. Highly recommended…

Jim

Back