TJT, not to "put you on the spot"...

but what have you been doing with YOUR SUBCOM Folder?:D

Just wondering, and how has the "Shorty" been?

God bless and take care! Keep in touch,
Chad:cool:

Well Chad,
I have been using it as my primary utility knife.
I have more than one, and the utility one has cut miles of paper, cardboard,
and zip ties.

The other is a hideaway/keychain, backup S/D piece.
I took another one, and made a trainer, and it works pretty well.
Sometimes I carry it primary, but usually in a backup position.

Now, which "Shorty" are you referring to, my KnifeBrother?:D
The proto FB is doing very well, except for the DG's, and the gift
I received is handling everything i've thrown at it so far.
I am working up a actual review on both, but let's just say I am more
than satisfied, and more than happy.
Take care, DW.
Terry

Mahalo for the reply TJT!!!

Just was curious as to how it has held up for you.

Glad the "shorty" from HI is alright...have fun with her! Man, the prepro needs to lose them gears!!!

God bless and take care okay? Keep me posted...:thumbup:

Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but I just got a Boker-Magnum SubCom Folder (from CLB Designs' own Chad Los Banos, no less! :D ) and that's one superb piece of sub-compact cutlery!

Hair-popping sharp right out of the box and with an edge geometry that says "Hey, even if you finally get around to dulling me, I'll still outcut most of the larger-sized knives you own!" Fits discreetly in the watch pocket of my dungarees and has a very solid lockup. As a paranoid who happily distrusts most liner locks and integral liner locks, I still feel secure with SubCom's integral liner. The choil/guard adds a lot to that security, too.

I also love the feel of the sculpted FRN over its steel liner. Reassuring without the need to be heavy or scratchy. The spine of the handle and blade are great, too. The jimping feels very secure (nothing to stab at 11:30P last night without waking anyone, so I'm going on the tactile perception) and the ridges on the spine past the thumb discs are very comfortable for use with the index finger.

Speaking of silent cutting, the SubCom Folder made silent mince-meat of an empty two-liter bottle. It wouldn't cut through the very bottom of the bottle (serrations or a much heavier blade would work better for such specialized-but-pointless cutting), but it suffered no damage or blunting from any of the cutting. That shouldn't be remarkable, but I've chipped out blades made from S30V and VG-10 doing the same thing.

The SubCom Folder is going to be fighting with my Spyderco Meerkat folder for its chance to break down boxes, cut string, and wires, and other general uses at a holiday party today. Both knives; though having different locks, blade shapes, blade grinds, steels, overall sizes, and weights; are similar in that both are very effective cutters with under-rated steels which drives home the point that until the proper shape is chosen (as in the SubCom Folder and Spyderco Meerkat), the type of steel being used is more of a sales-pitch than an actual benefit.

Now if youse guys would want to design another SubCom Folder with a back lock and ambidextrous pocketclip placement, that'd be cool, too. :D

Hey Thom,
Good to see you, and glad you like the SubCom, but I gotta tell you
one thing.
It's a right handed world:D !
Take care my friend.
Terry

thombrogan said:
... Both knives; though having different locks, blade shapes, blade grinds, steels, overall sizes, and weights; are similar in that both are very effective cutters with under-rated steels which drives home the point that until the proper shape is chosen (as in the SubCom Folder and Spyderco Meerkat), the type of steel being used is more of a sales-pitch than an actual benefit..../QUOTE]
Thanks for that Mr. Brogan (?). I’ve often speculated on that myself since I’ve used a 440A that performed just as well as, or better than some of my AUS-8. It’s nice to know they managed to do this in the SUBCOM.

thombrogan said:
Great to hear from you, Terry!

Stupid right-handed world... grumble grumble ;)

You got my vote considering the right hand world thombrogan..;)

Back