To Case or Not to Case

As I wrote once before, I am just getting into slip joint collecting, so please forgive my ignorance. Now, I have been more than impressed with the likes of Schatt & Morgan, Canal Street, Queen etc., but what about Case? I love the variety that Case offers, but is the quality there? The reason I ask, is because I have seen a few comments that suggest that Case just isn't what it used to be. Any truth to such a rumor?

I think it would be fair to say that for the most part the quality is pretty good but when you buy via the internet your experience can be hit or miss. (I've had to send a couple back. However, that is the exception rather than the rule in my personal experience.)

I prefer the case CV (chrome vanadium) offerings so I am somewhat limited in what I purchase unless I buy a vintage knife or two to supplement the current CV offerings.

I do think the older knives featured better overall construction, fit & finish, as well as much better backspring tension.

The older knives were more smoothly fitted and a bit nicer in polish of internal areas, but thats not to say the modern Case knives are not very good. As mentioned, they can vary a bit, so its best to buy them where you can see and handle the knife you are going to buy.

A Case knife is a great buy considering not only the quality of the knife, but the factory support and backing you will get. Having a Case is like being a member of a close knit family. No matter how many years goes by, if there is a problem, the very nice folks at Case will fix your knife, and even re-condition an old one for a very resonable fee. I had a new blade put in a Case pocket knife that was more than 50 years old, so it could serve yet another generation. Try that with a knife made overseas.

And there is an unbelievable choice of handle materials in different models with SS or the great CV. I truely believe that Case CV is one of the best steels around for a pocket knife.

Every knife knut needs at least one Case.

My experience with Case has been very good. I recently sent one back for a loose blade. When I got it back (5 days later total) they had done an excelent job at tightening the blade back up, and even polished everything up for me. However, this is the ONLY time I have ever had to send one back.

IMO, there are hardly any mass produced goods which are as of good quality today as they were even a generation ago. Companies are too focused on the bottom line and their greedy BODs and ship a lot of stuff that should not pass QC muster. Also, the availability of materials isn't what it used to be. To get real quality today you have to go to a craftsman, almost regardless of what it is you're trying to buy. Unfortunately, the prices for handcrafted items is very high. Who wants to pay $300+ for a "user" pocketknife? (This isn't a slam against any makers or those who buy from them. I'm talking about a guy off the street wanting a decent knife and being faced with nothing but imported junk for < $35. Those of us who understand and collect knives have a completely different perspective.)

That said, Case makes a very good knife for the money. One of the best values you'll find out there. In some cases I have a real hard time with their colored bone (does the world really need "Bubba Gum" pink knives? Can't we have patterns we want in non-garish colors?), but in general I'm pretty happy with their stuff. I just ordered two more Case knives this week. I've got dozens of Cases, and have had problems with very few. The worst involving non-centered blades. Never anything loose or broken, and (unlike several other vendors) everything I've bought from them has come sharp.

Queen is another good American made knife, but (generally) a little more expensive. Also one of the worst offenders of shipping dull knives.

If you want less expensive, but still very good quality, look at Boker Tree Brand and Tang Stamp knives.

And good luck! Half the fun is the shopping.

-- Sam

Yes. I say try Case. I've allways had great results with my old ones and my newer ones. CV Man here! M

It would be nice if we could inspect a knife before we bought it. I think Case quality, overall, is very good!

Considering there history, fair price, good quality and the fact there still made in the USA, I say there a great bargain. Especially the lower priced ones like the yellow handle ones in cv, can't complain to much with a good solid knife with great steel for around $30. I'm not a case collector, but have over a dozen of them and no complaints here.

Case quality is EXCELLENT, however as someone else has stated already the older knives did have smoother handles, better polish, etc, and some of the blades are thicker on the older models of the same style knives. I have many old and newer ones and while I think the older ones are a bit better the difference is not dramatic and it often depends on the knife in question. For example the difference in and older vs. newer Canoe is much more noticable than a Trapper. As far as production slip-joints I think only Boker is in the same league as Case.

As far as blade steels go the "surgical stainless" is best for collector pieces and is what most of their knives are made of now, pretty much low/no maintenence and I've never seen one rust. BUT for a carry knife I think the CV with yellow handles are among the best totin' knives on the market.

For me it is question of the prices.

I only have two Case knives.
Could someone answer.
Will a stockman in a fancy bone be that better quality than a CV in yellow?
Or are you paying for the fancy bone?

I see gererally that you pay and extra $10 for bone and $15 for a better bone.
Then the same again for stag.

Case seems to aim for the collectors market.
For the prices that are shown online for the fancy bone stuff, for the same price you can buy S&M, Canal, Northwood or Queen.

Will a stockman in a fancy bone be that better quality than a CV in yellow?
Or are you paying for the fancy bone?
If the bone and the yellow are both CV, then choose what tickles your fancy.

Usually, however, the bulk of the not-yellow-handled Case knives are stainless.

My own experience with CV vs their stainless advises me that the CV steel makes a harder working blade. Takes and keeps an excellent edge.

Their stainless isn't bad, but the CV is better.

If the bone and the yellow are both CV, then choose what tickles your fancy.

Usually, however, the bulk of the not-yellow-handled Case knives are stainless.

My own experience with CV vs their stainless advises me that the CV steel makes a harder working blade. Takes and keeps an excellent edge.

Their stainless isn't bad, but the CV is better.

What I am asking is is the quality different on a similar pattern and steel knife, one with a cheaper scale and the other with an expensive scale.
Is it the same knife just with different scales?

I am just getting into slip joint collecting, so please forgive my ignorance. Now, I have been more than impressed with the likes of Schatt & Morgan, Canal Street, Queen etc., but what about Case? I love the variety that Case offers, but is the quality there? The reason I ask, is because I have seen a few comments that suggest that Case just isn't what it used to be. Any truth to such a rumor?

For my uses (I consider myself an knife user, not a collector - I have no shelf queens), the stuff that Case is putting out right now is quite nice. I'm a big fan.

For collecting, well, I don't think you'll find much argument that Schatt & Morgan, Canal Street and Queen offer products that are a bit nicer. But that comes with a higher price tag as well.

As to the rumors that Case isn't what it used to be, what company is? :) But if you find yourself enamored with, say, pre-1960 Case knives, then collect pre-1960 Case knives. But again, if you're looking for a pocketknife to tote as a tool, I feel today's Case products definitely get the job done.

What I am asking is is the quality different on a similar pattern and steel knife, one with a cheaper scale and the other with an expensive scale.
Is it the same knife just with different scales?

For the most part in a pattern it is same knife, different scales, with the exception that some of the more expensive models use Nickel-Silver instead of Brass liners. The fit/finish and quality is equal from what I've seen. However they have done some different blade steels from time to time ATS-34 for instance, but the knife will have it on the blade and Case using steels other than their standard CV and stainless is rare.

Neeman, my yellow handled CV knives are every bit as good in every way as the ones with bone or stag.

Buy without hesitation.

I am a not Case guy. Bought 4 Case knives to see what the fuss was about, all 4 had (to me) major problems. Sent 2 e-mails and got no reply from customer service, then put them on my boycott list. Others have had good luck with them but not me.

I thank each and everyone of you for your time and input. I plan on both using and collecting the knives that I buy and it appears that Case can address both issues.

I like that Case has both a great history and a great following, but perhaps one of the greatest attractions for me was mentioned by Jackknife.

...A Case knife is a great buy considering not only the quality of the knife, but the factory support and backing you will get. Having a Case is like being a member of a close knit family. No matter how many years goes by, if there is a problem, the very nice folks at Case will fix your knife, and even re-condition an old one for a very resonable fee. I had a new blade put in a Case pocket knife that was more than 50 years old, so it could serve yet another generation. Try that with a knife made overseas...

The above is a major attraction for me, as I want my knives to span generations. As well, the support from a well established North American company gives the knife added value, IMHO. I enjoy collecting Buck knives because of their great 'no fuss' warranty, as well as feeling like part of a 'family'.

So, Case it will be! Thank you all again for your time. :thumbup:

There's always an exception to the customer service rule: I emailed Case that the Spey blades on my newly acquired Classic Gunstocks were deforming from contact with the backspring. The reply email said, essentially: Those were made for us by others (Bluegrass Cutlery), and are their problem--not ours. Funny, the tang stamp says "Case," so I would expect they would back their name. I still like Case, but that reply left my me with less desire to keep buying their products.

Back