To Gary Swenson'

The Tourist

Banned
Gary,

Mick has treated me fairly and his products are much desired. I don't think he's going to sue you or hunt you down. He's going to hurt you like you've never been hurt. He's going to pity you.

I have lived my life in two halves. The first half was hedonistic (look it up) and self serving. I used lies and deceit like most people use screwdrivers. I don't know what changed me; could be religion, could be my wife, could be personal disgust. Could be two nervous breakdowns. Go figure.

Let me tell you about lies. Twenty-two years ago I told a whopper. I hurt a lot of people. I still carry the name 'poser' and it will be part of me for the rest of my existence. I decided to come clean; I called EVERYONE I could think of and told them the truth. I got down on my knees, I worked as a volunteer in a Vet's hospital.

Now, get this: If I live the entire rest of my life doing good and somehow this cancels the harm I did in the first half of my life, THEN MY LIFE WILL AMOUNT TO 'ZERO.'

Take a good look at your mirror reflection. You are in my prayers. I pity you.

Well said Ichabod, I don't know what kind of a person you were in the past, but you sound like one hell of a nice person now, and though I don't personally know you, I would be happy to call you my friend. Well spoken. Keep up the good work.

;) :rolleyes: :)

I know some of your pain you had and your words speak strong and true to many of us .... thing is, it takes a real man to admit it and change for the good. Health takes a major role in moods and actions and to come out of a bad deal is well deserved. Sometimes sickness can't be helped and sometimes one never recovers, but knowing this sure can't make it easier on oneself. No one can understand unless they have walked in your shoes......in other words Ichabod Poser, YOU have my respect because I have recovered from some bad times the last couple of years, also, which were not in my control. For you to tell us this, takes real courage! Thank You!! Now, if it is in ones control and they don't wise up or change, then I feel sorry and pity for that individual as well.

Mark W. Douglas

E-mail from concerned customers regarding GB/AR design and the results of spending $400 on a folder.

Hi. Saw your post in the Strider Forum. Im not going to get into the
shitstorm
it spawned, or who was right or wrong, i actually dont really care
about
all that, but one thing i think is you should not have caved in so
easily,
i think you had a valid question/point about the use of 3M adgesive in
the
knife, and noone there seemed willing to really respond to it, unless
calling
you names is a response.

I was recently all set to buy a Strider folder, having formed the
impression
they were the strongest, toughest, most IMPERVIOUS folder available,
but
any object is only as strong as its weakest link, and i have to admit,
the
idea that there is an adhesive in the knife, an adhesive that the knife
relies on, bothers me. Adhesives, by their very nature, are not
permanent,
but relatively fragile, and are vulnerable to extremes of
heat/cold/moisture
or chemicals, which will cause at least some deterioration, and to have
a knife that's claim to fame is how tough it is, have this
vulnerability,
seems to me like a poor design chrarcteristic, even if the Strider
fanatics
refuse to entertain the question. If i found out tomorrow that my Chris
Reeve knives relied on an adhesive in their design, id probably sell
them.
Mick Strider said he uses the adhesive to cushion the blade, well
surely
a thin nylon, urethane, or similar soft, but durable washer or bushing
could
be used for that, one that wont deteriorate when exposed to chemicals
or
harsh elements.

So, in any case, i am now seriously rethinking my purchase, because the
idea of a knife, billed as the toughest available, that relies on an
inherently
fragile adhesive, bothers me, and i thank you for bringing it to my
attention.
Why pay $400 for a knife that is supposed to be impervious to
EVERYTHING,
if it has a componenet in its design that clearly is NOT impervious to
several
things. Sort of defeats the whole purpose to me of the knife.

<B>YOU TELL ME WHOS RIGHT HERE!
You tell me that there is not a problem that someone wants to ignore by calling me a BALLSACK FAGGOT!</B>

:barf:

e-mail from Mr. GSwen’s mother:

“Im very sorry my son is such a pathetic loser. For some reason he feels the need to bother the poor soles who only want to talk about the things they enjoy in life. I believe it is due to the fact that he was thrown off the felching forum”

This guy is begging for abuse. He comes here when he can't get a local crack whore to crap on him.

After Mick's last post he's gonna rub a blister on his little peanut.

MO

I type this up with some regret and with the utmost respect for the Strider Guys.

In the case of Gary vs. Strider - I feel that under no circumstances should a knife of this type (AR or GB) have any sort of adhesive in it... especially in a position that "could" make the knife non-functional. I suspect that there are MANY of us who feel the same about this issue. With that said, we believe in Mick and that is enough for me... If he says its fine then it must be fine.

Also, using failure-prone parts in a knife with an unconditional lifetime warranty would be foolish as it would surely bite the maker in the ass in short order... which brings me back around to the fact that Mick must feel good about it. It's his reputation on the line and if he's fine with it, then I am fine with it and a GB is the next knife on my list.

However, what I am not fine with is a $250 SA with finish defects in plain sight, and easily felt, being shipped out the door... (See pic)
sa_spine.jpg

I've been eye-balling Strider knives for over 3 years now and finally decided to get one. Within the first 3 seconds of fondling my new SA I was shocked to find something snagging the skin on my thumb - those knicks are small, but very sharp.
At any rate, like it or not, I was dissapointed in the knife and Strider... but hey, "sh!t happens", and a blemished knife escapes now and again.
Since then I've carried the little SA every day for about a month or so now, and I love it. Those little bur things, with plenty of use, have lost their "teeth" and are no longer a bother. They will also be removed after I get around to refinishing it... it still needs a few more scratches or knicks, and I have not managed to shred the para-cord yet.:D

My overall point of this post is to reiterate to all involved that we take our knives very seriously - sometimes far too seriously, and that we expect alot of Mick and Crew - probably too much.

Gary, there is an old adage that goes something like, "It's not what you say - It's how you say it". You may have a valid gripe about the construction of the AR/GB series, a gripe that most of us took quick note of... but you have shot yourself in the foot with a poorly worded presentation of the facts...
Now, we all know about the 3M parts and we will all make our buying decisions well informed - your mission is accomplished - now STFU about it and go on with your life. :)

I think that was well said, dashunde2.

Gary, you seem to be in here a lot with your 3M arguement. And that's fine, I'll take it as your opinion. I consider myself a pretty patient and understanding guy, usually.

So you say that 3M holds the washer in place, and that when it wears out it will cause the knife to fail. I can't see that. However, I don't own or have never seen either the AR or GB; but I believe that my knowledge of the knife is as good as yours, because you don't own either as well. I DO, have a Buck strider, which I think is comparable in these circumstances. The BS has D-shaped washers as well, but no adhesive, and I've never had a problem with it. I don't think the adhesive holds the washers in place, I think the D shape does. So what matters if 3M leaks out? Maybe I just fail to understand your point of view.

I feel that, as Dashunde said, we expect a great deal from Strider knives (and from our EDC's in general). But face the facts, ATS34, S30V, titanium, whatever- it's all metal. G10 is G10, nylon cord is nylon cord. Nature wears things down, because that's what nature does.
And I think that it's OK to expect a lot from Strider, because we pay a fair sum for their products. And no matter what they do, they aren't going to get around the fact that tools will get worn down/beat up/misused. NO knife company will get around that. The only thing they can do is build the best implement possible, that will hold up as long as long as possible. And even the best implements will eventually break if used too much. It's nature, it's gravity- things fall.
BUT, Strider did the next best thing. First, they have products that DO last for a very long time; I think there are plenty of people in these forums that will vouche for that. And when the day comes that stuff does break down, there's an UNCONDITIONAL guarantee. I don't know of any other company that is willing to do that. That's a promise, they will make the best thing that can be made, and they'll fix it for free. I think they've done everything earthly possible to make a good tool.

And maybe I'm just realistic. I'm expecting ATS34 to do what ATS34 will do; I'm expecting my knife to cut and cut well. I'll leave the "Green Destiny Sword" for the Shaolin Monks.

Maybe nobody carries Striders in the military. I wouldn't know, I'm not a soldier. I have a strider: it works, and it's guaranteed. I couldn't ask for more. I don't see why what a soldier uses should affect my opinion.

But say a strider isn't good enough for you. Is there a better knife? An Emerson? A CRK? BM? Even these knives can have failures. Does that make them awful? Hardly so. But when you break your knife due to misuse, will they replace it for free? I know Strider will, because they replaced my SA after I used it to pry things.

I'm just saying, if a Strider isn't good enough, then what is?

Here's one aboot an Emerson failure:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=231073&highlight=emerson+lock
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=115860&highlight=chris+reeves+lock

One of someone griping about CRK:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=224548

You don't seem to like Strider knives. Good, that's acceptable because everyone is entitled to their opinion. But we like Striders, and there's no reason why you should care. Lots of people have particulars about their pig stickers. That's why there are so many different knife companies out there.

I mean, God, you're beating a dead horse man. If there's no folder in the world that suits you... Sh1t, get a fixed blade.

Dashunde2,

You have a legitimate gripe about your Strider.
But what seperates you from Swanson is that he is only here to strike up trouble, he is a troll. He claims to have done extensive evaluation on Strider knives but fails to produce any test results or even pictures. His only back up to his claims is stuff that is already on the boards. He posted in another tread about how guys in HIS unit laugh at Strider knives then he edits it to say his FRIENDS IN A unit.

The guy is a straight up liar. He brags about how his Emerson Commander is a higher quality knife and better than the AR. HA! If Swanson could learn how to use the search function on this site he'll use up BFs bandwidth seeing all the threads on problems with the Emerson Commander which much like his claims with the AR were crap or no big deal at all.

added:
And yes I own an AR knife and have used it in the rain, snow, sand and dirt that will jam a Glock and no failure at all with it.

NIB
Yea, I was sorta bent about the marks, but they did make it easier to use the pricey bugger without pampering. I just wish I had gone the way of the DB or EB.T because of the SA's thin(er) tip. I often find myself digging around in the dirt with it looking for property pins, (I'm a Surveyor), I even thought about using it to pry up a manhole lid... and quickly thought better of it. It would have been nice not to worry about the tip so much.

At any rate, this Gary fella seems to have an axe to grind, but damn... he's thoroughly pissed all over our campfire here. Its gotten ridiculous.

GSwen=Fag

Yes, I am a man of letters. Can't you tell by the clear concise manner of my summation?:D

Originally posted by Mick Strider
e-mail from Mr. GSwen’s mother:

“Im very sorry my son is such a pathetic loser. For some reason he feels the need to bother the poor soles who only want to talk about the things they enjoy in life. I believe it is due to the fact that he was thrown off the felching forum”

BAWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just laughed up my Pancreas:eek: :eek:

Man, I take a few days away from here and look what I miss!!! :D

Pretty funny stuff (Mick)! Pretty pathetic stuff too (Swenson).

I want to add that this post is magnificent.
Mr. Ichabod,
ANYONE who doesn’t gain something from your post is lying to themselves.

Thanks for your candor and honesty.

m

I want to add that this post is magnificent.
Mr. Ichabod,
ANYONE who doesn’t gain something from your post is lying to themselves.

Thanks for your candor and honesty.

m

Anything that you put into your hand is a tool.
Anything you put into your brain, can be used as a weapon

I gained something from this post....getting me some Striders! :)

Mark W. Douglas

Back