To reprofile, or not.

Possibly this should be in the maintenance section, if so one of you mods should feel free to move it.

I have a Bark River, Snowy River knife. A nice knife but I only use it occasionally, my requirements generally run to folders.

brsr.jpg

Anyway, it has a scandi style edge and I'm wondering if I should try to keep that, which means hand sharpening, or should I just stick it on the Edgepro like I do most of my knives and take it from there. Maybe give it a 30 back bevel and a 40 micro primary edge.

What are your thoughts?

First of all, on this side of the planet, reprofiling is considered a maintenance-related activity. Second, profiling generally is often considered a human rights violation. Third, get a strop and keep it convexed. (Thanx, Mark.)

Moving on down the road ...

Your side of the planet is weird. ;)

I do have a strop, but I'm also lazy. :)

You can even keep a convexed edge sharp stropping it on your thigh with 1200 grit paper.

On my end of the planet, reprofiling means changing the shape of the blade as viewed from the side: i.e. making a recurve out of that Snowy River, or grinding 3/8" off the tip then giving a short sweep to the belly to make it more of a "skinner".

I think what you might be considering is re-beveling. Of course, like the others said, I'd keep it convexed.....if it were me.

Back