Tod Cutler

Yes, I have several rondel daggers by him. They are all excellent! Buy from him without reservation.

Last edited:
I have purchased two of his pieces as gifts and both were wonderful

I own one of his main gauche which you can see here:

i5SzYBV.jpeg

Can you notice the uneven grind?

JblVihK.jpeg

I see more and more threads of forums and facebook talking about some lemons among the stuff he sells. Most feedback is good. For the price I paid for it I was very disappointed. I felt that I got Deepeeka quality. The blades and parts are manufactured in China(allegedly) and assembled in his shop. Something to keep in mind.

I own one of his main gauche which you can see here:

i5SzYBV.jpeg

Can you notice the uneven grind?

JblVihK.jpeg

I see more and more threads of forums and facebook talking about some lemons among the stuff he sells. Most feedback is good. For the price I paid for it I was very disappointed. I felt that I got Deepeeka quality. The blades and parts are manufactured in China(allegedly) and assembled in his shop. Something to keep in mind.
Was it also dull ?

I've got one of his 12th century quillon daggers. It is well made, by no means fawless, but it has held up well. Mine came unsharpened as i wasn't patient enough to wait for a sharpened one to become available. I woud definitely recommend buying a pre-sharpened piece as it's easier to reprofile an existing edge than it is to establish all 4 bevels on your own (but you may be better at sharpening so this might not be an issue for you). The steel he used is run at a low hardness so I wouldn't expect superb edge retention, but I think it's appropriate for a dagger.

I can’t speak to the case of your main gauche of course, nor do I know where all Tod’s parts come from. I can say that I know that he gets some of his pattern welded stuff from Owen Bush and that the custom rondel daggers I have are very nice. Perhaps there is a difference in his off the shelf stuff and one off stuff or perhaps a difference between his Rondels and quillons I couldn’t say.

I have a custom dirk from him and a rondel from his "Tod Cutler" budget line. The dirk is around 15-20 years old and is outstanding in quality, as would be expected from a $500 piece. The rondel is nice, but the last 3 inches or so of the blade tapers off to one side. It's VERY noticeable, almost looking bent. Honestly, for a dagger costing roughly $100, I think I would have received better fit and finish from Museum Replicas Ltd. It wasn't worth it to me to send it in (overseas) for a replacement, but had I done so, I'm sure it would have been replaced with an acceptable piece.

Stuff through Tod Cutler are outsourced bulk blades so grinds may vary a good bit in quality. These are often productions of customs that had been done as Tod's Workshop. He has hired help and then his own projects. The two grades are easy to distinguish when viewing the marks.

horseclover horseclover do you know if the Tod Cutler line is outsourced overseas (China, India, etc.)? I'm not dissatisfied with the dagger I have, just curious.

Back