Today's Special for 10/26 --Pix and Amar Singh Thapa Knife

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
18 inch 41 ounce villager fit and finish Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri by Dil Kami. Satisal wood handle. Field sharp rig. Yours for $175. *SOLD*
10-26-10%20001.jpg

10-26-10%20002.jpg

10-26-10%20003.jpg

Email to himimp@aol.com to order

Last edited:
The thickness of these things is amazing... even the tang in the handle! As soon as finances allow, I will custom-order one in 16.5" OAL one with a 5/16" to 3/8" spine and a more pronounced tang taper. I think that might drop the weight down to 26-30oz if not more and make it lightning quick and more manageable. 41oz is just too much for me unless it has a two-handed grip with a 7" handle or more, but then I would rather go for an AK/CAK or GRS.

Last edited:
I hope to be able to get the little project going soon on these. The idea is to measure as many ASTK's especially those from the same Kami's so we can compare the various spec's of them and see how well they both perform and are liked by their owners. The measurements would be OAL and Blade length, Length to the "break" or beginning of the downward sweep and the angle of the blade's curve. Of course this is just something I'd like to try, if I can get some folks to do some simple measurements, I am happy to do the compilation of the data. Otherwise I suppose I can just do mine and know I personally find it to be the best of my Khuks for use.

For your consideration:
Unless you're stuck on the chiruwa handle, you might see if you can get one with a hidden tang. Once the ASTK came out and I saw the weight of the chiruwa handled ones, I waited until I saw another hidden tang ASTK show up and jumped on it. Made by Lok kami, 17.75" and 24 oz. True, I haven't seen much but the heavier models, but they were and I'm sure can still be made.

Warty,

I hope to be able to get the little project going soon on these. The idea is to measure as many ASTK's especially those from the same Kami's so we can compare the various spec's of them and see how well they both perform and are liked by their owners. The measurements would be OAL and Blade length, Length to the "break" or beginning of the downward sweep and the angle of the blade's curve. Of course this is just something I'd like to try, if I can get some folks to do some simple measurements, I am happy to do the compilation of the data. Otherwise I suppose I can just do mine and know I personally find it to be the best of my Khuks for use.

I believed Hung and me are more than willing to help you.
His is Sher made and mine is Murali's

I believed Hung and me are more than willing to help you.
His is Sher made and mine is Murali's

Made a mistake here. Fierywind is my friend and as a habit i went on to reply to this thread without knowing that she's logged on to her BF account.

Jay,

Mine is Dil made, not Sher.

Suggest to agree on all dimensions we need to know before measuring. I remember a picture of a khuk in FAQs section with detailed dimension. Cant find it as the site is down.

Made a mistake here. Fierywind is my friend and as a habit i went on to reply to this thread without knowing that she's logged on to her BF account.

Mine is Dil-made and I hope to get my measurements done within the next couple of days. Heh, thanks for the patience, Warty! ;) Oh, and happy belated birthday!

I also have a mad idea of making an ASTK GBS Siru. This is to marry the property of 3 HI famous knives: the deep curve design of ASTK and the agility of the Siru in a scary edge with a deep fuller of the GBS.

I can smell the Tear shape fuller Siru somewhere here. Hahaha!

The thickness of these things is amazing... even the tang in the handle! As soon as finances allow, I will custom-order one in 16.5" OAL one with a 5/16" to 3/8" spine and a more pronounced tang taper. I think that might drop the weight down to 26-30oz if not more and make it lightning quick and more manageable. 41oz is just too much for me unless it has a two-handed grip with a 7" handle or more, but then I would rather go for an AK/CAK or GRS.

That is cool then, I hope soon to be able to post some pix and stuff again.
Right now my computer is still screwy so I guess I may need to take it to a pro.
I can't seem to get it right on my own, at least not yet. Have a couple more things to try.

Once my computer is right again, the ASTK project can start and I can show folks what I am doing as far as measuring and then they can do the same with theirs. Right now all I have is a sort of crude drawing I sent to Moogoogaidan but I don't think it is all that easy to follow.

Back