Todd's "Sweatin to the oldies" weight loss thread

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
Alright folks, Its a new year, I purposely did not make any new years resolutions because honestly, there usually broken in the first week.:rolleyes: So, in 2013 brought a lot of different things in my life. Some good, some bad. So in 2014, I want to try to focus on the good and doing more of it. Not only good for you, the people on this forum, but customers, friends, family, and not to leave anybody out. Myself!

The knife community has been very gracious to me. so much so that my "part time" hobby has become pretty much a full time job on top of the one I already have. To say that I am busy is a understatement. However, I am not complaining, in fact, I am very grateful. But the one thing that I do hate is the fact that I have pretty much abandon a healthy lifestyle and may of gained.....uh.......few unwanted pounds.:grumpy:

I will be turning 40 this coming Feb, 1st. considering that's the age where most "old guys" like me really start to fall apart, one of my big goals for 2014 is to shed some of those unwanted pounds and get back to a healthier me, and I am calling on you, my friends here on BF to help me. "How can I help?" Well, I'm glad you asked. ;)

In my younger years I used to take a lot better care of myself. I know what I need to do, but lets face it. Dieting SUCKS!.....Exercise SUCKS!.....Cutting down on my beer intake SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! :sorrow: But all necessary for reaching my goal. You guys can help by way of motivation. This whole thing is gonna start as soon as you see me post a pick of me, on the scales to show my weight. (not looking forward to that) I will update the picture on a yet to be determined schedule. In the meantime, I dedicate this thread to you guys to participate, offer suggestions, tips, recipes or any stories or things that have help you shed some pounds in the past. Hell even if you want you can motivate me by pokin a little fun of me, I'm thick skinned, I can take it. Just make sure to keep it somewhat PG-13ish and compliant with the Blade forum rules.

So,lets break out the red and white stripped shorts, and legwarmers and break out the "Sweatin to the oldies" VHS tapes. Todd's getting his beach body back!:eek:

(If nothing else, I figured it would be nice to let the shop air out from the stinch of stale beer and pork farts) :barf:

[video=youtube;1cvzH-NgHA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1cvzH-NgHA0[/video]

Last edited:
How can I help boss ?

You dont have to be SUPER healthy, or Starve yourself, or Workout like a lunatic. Really just paying more attention to what your eating, and how much, added to drinking a lot of water, and some walking will put a pretty big dent in your goal I think.
I just rounded that bend in August, and had been working for a while before then, just a little at a time on getting my weight and health under control. I was pretty thin at Blade right ? :cool:

How can I help boss ?

You dont have to be SUPER healthy, or Starve yourself, or Workout like a lunatic. Really just paying more attention to what your eating, and how much, added to drinking a lot of water, and some walking will put a pretty big dent in your goal I think.
I just rounded that bend in August, and had been working for a while before then, just a little at a time on getting my weight and health under control. I was pretty thin at Blade right ? :cool:

:eek: WHAT??? :eek: DRINK WATER!?!?!?!?! That's disgusting! :barf: What the hell did I get myself into? :D

I guess now is as good as time as any. I took this pic last night, and for all of you smart a$$es out there, that's NOT 2,600 lbs. Its a even 260.0 :rolleyes:

2014-01-21192033_zpsa110f859.jpg

I'm in with you Todd. I even put on a few extra pounds ( on top of the many extra I have accumulated over the years) during the holidays just so I could partake:D

Could be worse Todd, I was 212 at the Gather we met at, and I am ALOT shorter than you ..lol

A lot of things could be worse. True, Im 6 4 so I carry the weight well, but its just not a happy healthy weight I wanna be at. Im just not ready to be a fat grumpy old man yet. Im already grumpy and old, so, fat is all I can combat. I feel really good in the 220 range. Id like to get there around the Blade show in June.

At 30 my wife and I joined weight watchers mostly for the tips and support-type group. Also took a hiking class at the local community college. You don't actually need to sign up for anything, but some of us need a group setting to keep motivated. Subbing water and diet tea for lemonade and soda, turkey sandwiches for burgers, cutting back on ( but not eliminating) beer and wine and walking 10-20 miles a week I lost 45 lbs in about 6 months. Kept it off for 5 years until I got a desk job. Did it again 4 years ago but took almost a year ago - 1st 10 took a week, next 20 was about 6 months, the last 10 took another 6. I've kept it off for 3 yrs. I'm 43, 6'0, and 200lbs. And I love food. It can be done - but it takes effort, and if you're doing it right you'll probably be hungry for about 2 weeks. But once your body adjusts, its just a matter of portion control and moderation. Good luck!

Last edited:
Gas station hot dogs and Monster Rehabs man, you'll be fighting fit in record time.

i quit smoking, got married, had a kid (well not me but the wife did:D) and got a desk job all in less than a year. im about 10 pounds heavier than Todd and nearly 9 inches shorter. I've got a ways to go.

you're only 40 - and only 260?!?
damn.
I feel older - and fatter.

best of luck!
(and it doesn't have to be just water -- unsweetened tea is pretty good, too)
avoid artificial sweeteners -- they can cause you to be more hungry as well as posing some significant health hazards on their own.
one trick is to avoid "white" foods -- white potatoes (skin on is good, peeled not so much), bleached white flour (whole white wheat is your friend), white (bleached) sugar (agave, honey, demerara/"raw" sugar are all good), white rice (again with the bleach - but brown rice and wild rice are good)

damn.

best of luck!
avoid artificial sweeteners -- they can cause you to be more hungry as well as posing some significant health hazards on their own.
one trick is to avoid "white" foods -- white potatoes (skin on is good, peeled not so much), bleached white flour (whole white wheat is your friend), white (bleached) sugar (agave, honey, demerara/"raw" sugar are all good), white rice (again with the bleach - but brown rice and wild rice are good)

I think he should just go gluten free, he's probably allergic anyway.

How can I help boss ?

At 30 my wife and I joined weight watchers mostly for the tips and support-type group. Also took a hiking class at the local community college. You don't actually need to sign up for anything, but some of us need a group setting to keep motivated. Subbing water and diet tea for lemonade and soda, turkey sandwiches for burgers, cutting back on ( but not eliminating) beer and wine and walking 10-20 miles a week I lost 45 lbs in about 6 months. Kept it off for 5 years until I got a desk job. Did it again 4 years ago but took almost a year ago - 1st 10 took a week, next 20 was about 6 months, the last 10 took another 6. I've kept it off for 3 yrs. I'm 43, 6'0, and 200lbs. And I love food. It can be done - but it takes effort, and if you're doing it right you'll probably be hungry for about 2 weeks. But once your body adjusts, its just a matter of portion control and moderation. Good luck!

damn.

best of luck!

I have to admit. I have somewhat already started. My weight 2 weeks ago was 268. Ive been planning on getting back on track with my weight for a long time. but, if Im gonna air all of this embarrassing info here to you guys I sure as hell would look stupid if I fail. So, thats the point. for you guys to keep me motivated. I did a couple weeks "test run" if you will to see if my old bone are still capable of sheading some weight and I have lost 8 lbs. I just need to stick with it and hearing your guy's stories, and advice I think will help.
Id really like to hear of some recipes too. anybody got some heathy meals that dont taste like sawdust?

I have also recently found out that I have a new love for avocado........ that is all.

Feel free to add some humor to this thread to help keep my mind off of how bad dieting sucks! Just remember to abide by the BF rules.

Here's a pic Murph took of me on our last kayaking trip. :D

Funny_Fat_People_Pictures_500x364_zps5988c6f2.jpg

Last edited:
I have also recently found out that I have a new love for avocado........ that is all.
:thumbup: Avocado is like plant bacon.

I went from 270+ to 212. Unfortunately, I've been lazy this winter and I'm now hovering around 220 with nowhere near the muscle I used to have since I have a lazy ass desk job now. I'm kicking it back up a notch again to get back in better shape by this spring.

I hate to say it, but cutting back on beer as well as getting more active really helped me out. Granted, hooking up with a dietitian had its advantages as well.

When I had my grandma's pug out here, I would take that little dog on daily hikes. Up and down the steepest hills on the property, just to wear both of us out.

I am certainly not in a position to give advice on fitness or a healthy lifestyle, but I reckon that new puppy of yours could be the source of all the exercise you will ever need.

I'm out. The feet did it for me. :thumbup:

Sorry Trade, next time I will wear slippers! :rolleyes:

When I had my grandma's pug out here, I would take that little dog on daily hikes. Up and down the steepest hills on the property, just to wear both of us out.

I do have big plans on taking the pup on great adventures. Unfortunately with her only being 16 weeks old, I have a lot of work to do as far as teaching her how to walk on a leash. That and its only been a high of 10 degrees outside since we got her.

I am certainly not in a position to give advice on fitness or a healthy lifestyle, but I reckon that new puppy of yours could be the source of all the exercise you will ever need.

Set goals and stick to them. Really, what got me to start losing was knowing how much life would suck as I aged, if I kept that weight on. I'm built like my grandpa (short, stout, Irish) and he only loses weight when threatened with another heart surgery. My goal was to do a certain hike in half the time it usually took me, and I easily met it last summer...and am down from 225 to 195.

Oh, and water is good for before the workout. Beer for recovery.

Back