Togi, the art of polishing

The art of polishing the Japanese style blade is a very complex one. It appears to give two results, one of which is to maintain the appearance of the blade. However it also maintains the funtionality of the blade by sharpening the edge at the same time, or at least it helps to maintain the edge that it already has, and thereby keeps the blade ready for use. I have been searching as hard as I could for information on the art of Togi. I have done everything short of asking for help. So now I ask for help. If anyone who reads this post is familiar with Togi and would be willing to teach or share your knowledge, I would be most grateful. I would also appreciate any recomended literature on the topic if such exists.

Kwheeler, all of the information that I've found so far agrees with what you've said, but I believe that understanding the art itself would help one become better at maintaining any type of edge. On top of this it should help to develop an apreciation for those knives and swords that we see that have obviously had a great deal of hand finishing apllied even if it is not apllied at the same level as Togi is on the true Samurai's sword.

James,

Have you read the book "The craft of the Japanese Sword" by Leon an Hiroko Kapp? It has a whole section devoted to Togi. Beside this the other texts I know of are all in Japanese.

Joe

Have you tried posting on www.swordforum.com ? The folks there might help you further, if I remember correctly, there´s even a traiditionally trained sword polisher posting there from time to time.

------------------
"Peace is not without conflict; it is the ability to cope with conflict" - Leo Giron

Thank you Judge, I have been there a few times. I like the site very much and I intend to visit regularly from now on. Unfortunately I have seen less on existing technique from the maker's point of view than on interest and knowledge from the collectors point of view. These people appear to be very knowledgable and I find the site fascinating. I am very glad to have found it but I have not found very much yet on this specific subject over there, yet. I feel that I have not done enough searching there yet to warrant my asking them for help, yet. I have however found the book that was recommended to me by JoeL. I found it on Amazon.com and it appears to be quite reasonable in price. Only about thirty one U.S. dollars. Thank you Joe. And thank you Judge. I've only just found that site and I think it's great. If anyone has any more ideas please let me know.

I found an article by Christopher Lau which you might find of interest, especially as it suggests a possible, though now outdated, source for more detailed instructions.

[This message has been edited by Berkley (edited 08-06-2000).]

Thank you for the reply Berkley. It is very informative. It appears that I have been using some of the polishing methods on that link already, but there are some refinements that I am going to make in light of this information. Thank you so much for the help.

Back