Tojiro Zen?

MKP

I am thinking about getting a few Tojiro Zen knives. I have never own good kitchen knives before, mostly because I don't cook. All my current kitchen knives are cheapos from Target. But my little sister is coming to live with me and she is a great cook. She is also planning to go to culinary school. She also loves Japanese cuisine. So I am buying them mostly for her. Are Tojiro good entry level knives?

I can't comment on the Zen line but I have chef knives in their Flash and DP lines. They are great. I've had them for over a year and a half, use them alot, and been very satisfied. Haven't noticed any performance decrease with the cheeper DP vs. the more expensive Flash.

I was told the Zen line is simply the DP line with oak wood handles. If that is true, I guess any experience concerning the regular DP line would apply to the Zen line as well.

I was told the Zen line is simply the DP line with oak wood handles. If that is true, I guess any experience concerning the regular DP line would apply to the Zen line as well.

Not exactly sure. When I look on one of the larger "nameless" (in keeping with the rules) sites they describe the Zen as cobolt alloy sandwiched between layers of stainless. Whereas the same site DP is clearly named VG10.

I find them light weight and comfortable in the hand. The thin steel cuts effortlessly. The edges haven't been too chippy for the level or hardness but I haven't cut into anything really hard like bone. I have to say that I like the micarta on the handle of the Flash better than wood handles of the DP.

spareparts

Thanks. VG-10 has 1.5% cobalt, is this possible that it is the same steel?

Hi,
Iirc, one of Tojiro own websites lists the Zen as a DP with a Japanese handle and more than likely uses the same Vg-10 blade steel. I’ve not handle a Zen, but have played with a few DPs. You get a vgood steel at a great price, but the handle is large and boxy, and fit & finish can be a bit spotty. The ones that I saw needed some hand sanding and sealing of the handle, etc. Nothing major, but you should be aware that you may encounter the same with the Zen. Regardless, it’s a good entry level J-knife – imo.

Back