1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tomahawk blade material:4140 vs. 80CRV2

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by PABladeGuy, Feb 15, 2019.

1. PABladeGuy

PABladeGuy Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2018
    please pardon my newbie question. I've searched high and low and could not get a satisfactory answer.

Moving on from my fixed blade addiction, I've been looking at tomahawks. Specifically the RMJ ones. I notice a change from using 4140 to 80CRV2 sometimes around late 2017.

My question is why? Is this considered an improvement or is this merely a cost saving measure? I'm looking at either a Shrike or the Kestrel.

Thank you in advance.

2. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    80CRV2 is most definitely a step up from 4140. I don’t think it’s a cost saving measure, although I’m not entirely sure what they cost to begin with. I know I would personally rather have 80CRV2 in a tomahawk over 4140. 4140 would be seriously tough, but it’s not much of a blade steel to begin with. I imagine it was chosen because of it’s toughness, while 80CRV2 offers a more rounded steel.

Square_peg likes this.
  3. Gvard

Gvard

May 5, 2017
    80crv2 is a great steel for tools made for chopping. It would be interesting to know whether they also changed the hardness of their tools when switching to 80crv2.

4. Camber

Camber

Jul 13, 2011
    I doubt at the thickness the tomahawks are run one would see a lot of difference in edge retention...the blunting is going to be by impact (not abrasion generally speaking) so a combo of toughness and hardness is what you want. 80CrV gets harder, but the thickness should give plenty of strength on it's own.

5. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I spoke to Richard at RMJ about their change over to 80crv2 about 6 months ago. He told me it's just as tough but holds an edge a little better than 4140.

Right from the man himself.