Tomahawk USA - legit for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well, judging by the 300+ views, Im guessing a few of you saw my thread about cheap neck knives and machetes. Well, Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that Im probably going to get a CKC Hiker from Kyley in New Zealand. But in my search, I also came across a Tomahawk USA neck knife. I want to know if they are a legit brand, and the reason Im asking is because -

1. The prices are so low, even for Australia! And...
2. I saw a Smith & Wesson neck knife almost exactly like the Tomahawk USA one, both of them even came with built in whistles on the sheath!

Also, I really dont want anyone to tell me to just get the CKC Hiker, or just get a Becker Necker. I will be getting a Hiker or another better knife, but I would also like to have something like this, to do small stuff that isnt worth using a good knife for.

Here is the Tomahawk USA one
tomahawkUSAnk.jpg

And here is the S&W one
swnk.jpg

Thanks in advance :).

Try to find something that's not a tanto point.

Unless you really gotta stab the bejeezus out of stuff on a daily basis.

To answer your question:

No, not really. They make a knockoff of a Smith and Wesson knife, who are themselves not great knifemakers.

I would look into something like a Mora if I were you. Just as cheap money wise, but reliable and trustworthy.

I think their actual name is Tomajunk China.:D When you resort to making copies of Smith and Wesson knives, something is wrong.....very wrong.

Ooops. Let me say that this is my opinion, just in case someone comes along and gets their feathers ruffled.

Last edited:
Are they a legit brand? Sure.

Some of what they offer is inexpensive copies.

I own one. It seems to be a copy of a TOPS neck knife. Or something along those lines. It was really inexpensive. Has black wrinkle finish and a snap-in sheath that actually functions. Sharpens well enough. I really can't say there's anything wrong with it. Was certainly worth the $2 it cost.

The downside to the Tomahawk brand is that they are more in the business of selling knife shaped objects. They do some fantasy knives, some copies, and some real junk. It's certainly possible to get one that perfectly functional. There's also a chance of getting something that's only worth looking at.

Overall, a Mora is a better, known value. Though modestly priced, you will get a usable knife for the money without gamble.

theyre making copies of smith and wesson knives. Have you seen a smith and wesson knife? theyre terrible. Its like cheating of someone who is failing math during a math test. If i were you id get a mora or an izula

Not surprising their, early knives looked like Gerber knives. I clipped this China Market News in 1997:
"Wayeah Knives & Tools Co., Ltd. Is a professional manufacturer and exporter of knives & tools, located in Yangjiang, Guangdong, China. Several years ago, they decided to build the world’s largest knife factory. To aid in the building and set-up, they contracted Gerber Legendary Blades. They then decided to produce the highest quality knives in the world. To this end, they located some of the master craftsmen who were laid off when Case stopped making their own knives in 1984. These master cutlers were invited to come to China and teach the Chinese how to make the old Case knives. Some stayed only a short time, but others now make their homes in China, where they are still sharing their expertise. The knives are largely handmade. One thing the Chinese have is plenty of labor. Absolutely no corners are cut in the search for perfection.

“This is what Wayeah stands for! Wayeah always works with earnest attitude and excellent credit on a mutual-beneficial base. Working with us will greatly cut down the cost and win the market.” –- China Market News 1997

Today, Wayeah makes knives or knife parts for most branded knives in the world. This includes not only knives marked USA on their tang but even knives custom made by major individual knifemakers

K knives4less
WR Case still makes their own knives.
Necroposting and posting false information. Do not do this further.
Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back