Tomahawks

Bobby Branton

What kind of Tomahawk do you throw or own?

Which is your favorite design for throwing?

Would you buy or throw a nice hawk that was priced in the $100-$200 range?

------------------
AKTI member #1000
President South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
President American Knife Throwers Alliance

http://www.brantonknives.com

I mostly throw a "blackhawk" right now, it's a cast steel hawk made in Canada. Somtimes I throw my Cold Steel vietnam hawk, But I am a little worried about the handle. I've been thinking about getting a couple of the viking pattern hawks from Cold Steel lately, but since it's cold up here in Michigan I'll probably wait till spring.

I use a couple of CS hawks/axes one Viking Tomahawk (really nice to throw) one shovel (really fun to throw) and a bad axe (stay away from I broke the head of mine)

I'm open to what ever comes my way, just as long as the head doesn't break, but right now I am throwing full sized double bitted axes.

I have a hand made, at least I think it was hand made, hawk that I purchased in PA at COUNTRY KNIVES.
If I remember it was about $25 to $30. It is well made and throws great. The handle does come loose on hard off target hits, when I miss that is. I have yet to break it.
I do not think that I would purchase a hawk to throw in the $100 to $200 price range. I enjoy throwing alot and miss often due to the fact I like to try throws at different distances and at targets of oppurtunity. If I hit a rock it wouldn't matter how well made the hawk is I am sure that I would break it.
Now if the warranty were to cover breakage, even due to this kind of abuse, I would certinally consider it. But I guess replacing a cheaper hawk would be eaiser.
Even with that type of warranty I would not feel justified in having a product that I destroyed warrantied.

------------------
Later, Jim

$100+ seems awfully high for a throwing hawk. I have some beauties from a custom maker in Ohio (AKTA regulation with 19" wooden handles), Beaver Bill Forge, that cost only $30 or so each (they might be more now, that was three years ago).

I know there are some expensive throwing knives out there (I have a very few of them), but I don't find them being thrown every day by the people who own them. I think that like throwing knives, throwing hawks should be relatively low in price because you need to get a set!

[This message has been edited by matthew rapaport (edited 02-02-2001).]

Back