Tons of new models coming.

2v2ESnmV9xurAoi.jpg

2v2ESnmhuxurAoi.jpg

2v2ESnmCJxurAoi.jpg

So is Andy against a sharpening choil? Or should I even go down that road? :rolleyes:

So is Andy against a sharpening choil? Or should I even go down that road? :rolleyes:
Pretty sure he's not a fan so I usually hassle him, just because. I'd prefer it though if Spyderco's had sharpening choils for sure (easier with a guided sharpener like an Edge Pro or Wicked Edge) but since I've only ever had to strop/maintain my Fiddleback edges, its not as much as issue for me.

I do not like choils of any kind. Sharpening choils snag on things you cut like skin, cloth or string. Finger choils are a more serious functional flaw and steel a very important part of the edge of the knife when employed in a design. To do heavy cuts like notching for traps you need a lot of leverage on the cut. The part of the edge where it is easiest to get that leverage is directly by your fist. Moving the cut out an inch robbs you of this leverage. In addition, if your 4" blade or under design requires the ability to choke up to do detail work, your handle SUCKS and need to be re-designed anyway.

Horrid, choils.

I do not like choils of any kind. Sharpening choils snag on things you cut like skin, cloth or string. Finger choils are a more serious functional flaw and steel a very important part of the edge of the knife when employed in a design. To do heavy cuts like notching for traps you need a lot of leverage on the cut. The part of the edge where it is easiest to get that leverage is directly by your fist. Moving the cut out an inch robbs you of this leverage. In addition, if your 4" blade or under design requires the ability to choke up to do detail work, your handle SUCKS and need to be re-designed anyway.

Horrid, choils.

I've come to agree with this too... used to be a fan of them, but what did it for me was sub-consciously "going for a choil" on a choiless bark river... almost got a nasty cut... then I realized I didn't want to have the muscle memory of a choil on any of my fixed blades and sold all with a choil... really sucks trying to skin and cut joints with one... like you said, that high leverage part of the blade gets most of my cutting work.

Only exception for me now is that I still like spyderco PM2/3s... since a folder has a pivot I feel like I loose that high leverage portion of the blade so I still like choil on some folders to be able to get right next to the blade.

Horrid, choils.
Hey Andy, thanks for explaining that out! I knew you didn't like em but the specifics help.

I prefer a nice finger choil on a knife in the 5"+ range.

Last edited:
Would love to see one of these new models be a smaller more EDC friendly version of the Protagonist with a swedged harpoon

Last edited:
Make sure you bring these models to trackrock so we can check them out.

Back