Tony Bose RIP

Condolences to his family and friends. RIP to a true legend in our community:(

I met Tony some 35 years ago. That was before the Internet. I was talking to Bill Keaton about a pocket knife and he told me that if I wanted the best pocket knife made I should talk to some Tony Bose. And to make sure to ask for 440V blades. I called Tony from Ecuador where I was working for Philip Morris. I remember that we laughed a lot during that conversation before we agreed on the knife he’d make for me. It is, as I still have it, a small gentleman’s knife with black Micarta scales..., and 440V blade. Throughout the years I have skinned many a deer with that little knife as well as dressed many, many doves and ducks.

We kept in touch since, I finally met him in Atlanta at the knife show. He had made a knife for me and told me that if I wanted it I had to pick it up in Atlanta. By then I had several of his knives as I knew I couldn’t get a better knife if I tried. In Atlanta we went to dinner with the Case big boys and had a great time. We last met last year when I went to visit him at his home in Shelburn. We last talked on the phone yesterday and today I received an email with a picture of another choke tube he had made for me.

Very seldom one has the opportunity to meet someone with the extraordinary kindness and human mettle as Tony. Tony was a truly exceptional man. Deeply in love with Karen, his little dumpling, his beautiful wife, companion, best friend. Tony was a family man. I don’t think he ever recovered from the death of one of his sons a few years ago in a tragic car accident. He raised Reese to be a solid man, a trustworthy, hardworking man who inherited his father’s talent and work ethic.

There are powerful men, rich men, captains of industry, rulers of empires, and then there is the virtuous man. Tony Bose was a virtuous man. A superior man because of his integrity, character, and deeply noble soul. I’ll think of Tony every day, and I’ll miss him every day. I hope Old Dawg, Wizard, that there is a Heaven because if there is you’ll be one of the few souls deserving a restful peace forever. Much, much love, brother man.

6C964FD1-A99C-4AFE-B718-F8C1DD0AF781.jpeg D879BB92-4C90-4524-AFAF-4F36220FBDBA.jpeg

Last edited:
I met Tony some 35 years ago. That was before the Internet. I was talking to Bill Keaton about a pocket knife and he told me that if I wanted the best pocket knife made I should talk to some Tony Bose. And to make sure to ask for 440V blades. I called Tony from Ecuador where I was working for Philip Morris. I remember that we laughed a lot during that conversation before we agreed on the knife he’d make for me. It is, as I still have it, a small gentleman’s knife with black Micarta scales..., and 440V blade. Throughout the years I have skinned many a deer with that little knife as well as dressed many, many doves and ducks.

We kept in touch since, I finally met him in Atlanta at the knife show. He had made a knife for me and told me that if I wanted it I had to pick it up in Atlanta. By then I had several of his knives as I knew I couldn’t get a better knife if I tried. In Atlanta we went to dinner with the Case big boys and had a great time. We last met last year when I went to visit him at his home in Shelburn. We last talked on the phone yesterday and today I received an email with a picture of another choke tube he had made for me.

Very seldom one has the opportunity to meet someone with the extraordinary kindness and human mettle as Tony. Tony was a truly exceptional man. Deeply in love with Karen, his little dumpling, his beautiful wife, companion, best friend. Tony was a family man. I don’t think he ever recovered from the death of one of his sons a few years ago in a tragic car accident. He raised Reese to be a solid man, a trustworthy, hardworking man who inherited his father talent and work ethic.

There are powerful men, rich men, captains of industry, rulers of empires, and then there is the virtuous man. Tony Bose was a virtuous man. A superior man because of his integrity, character, and deeply noble soul. I’ll think of Tony every day, and I’ll miss him every day. I hope Old Dawg, Wizard, that there is a Heaven because if there is you’ll be one of the few souls deserving a restful peace forever. Much, much love, brother man.

View attachment 1460504 View attachment 1460505

that's a beautiful eulogy. Anyone would be proud to receive such a kind tribute.
you have my condolences, I'm sad for your loss.

I still don't wanna believe it. I met Tony just a few times...but that is all it took to realize he was a kind, gentle soul. RIP.

I read this last night and was hoping it was a mistake.
I respected his work and loved the collaborations he did with Case Cutlery.
Condolences to his family.

Could this thread please be tagged to the top of the page. Tony was a seminal figure in the world of knives. More importantly, he was a great and noble man. Thank you.

very sad news. my condolences to his family. R.I.P.

I'm not even sure where to begin. But taken from us yesterday was one of the kindest, most down to earth people I've ever met. I was just talking to Tony on Saturday. Telling dirty jokes, talking bad about women, solving world issues and just cracking up. I got the news yesterday and it was like getting hit with a brick.

I've been going to Blade for over 20 years and let me tell you, it will never be the same again. The first time I'd ever really met Tony I had entered the raffle for a good friend of mine who could not attend. Because I was a complete moron and had no idea about the knives or the man who made them, Tony was amazed that I actually gave the knife to someone else. Tony tells me " I gotta tell you John, the wait list for my work is over 10 years. That's damn kind of you" and I told him "10 years? No kidding? Not much knife for such a long wait there old man". And with a smile and looking at me his only good eye, he tells me "Fuck you John".
I liked him instantly.

Many trips to Blade and a couple of trips to his home in Indiana, Tony was certainly a true craftsman. I remember sitting at his house looking thru stag pieces( and choking on cigar smoke) and learning about the history of the many different patterns and styles. I'd come home and find a package in the mail from the Old Dawg with some old ads or stories about knives past. He'd call me and we'd talk shop and send me pics of things he was working on. I have to honest, that old guy set the hook in me bad with slipjoints. His many friends and "students" would call and ask for patterns or advice on this or that and Tony was only too happy to help out.

For the record, you would be hard pressed to find a kinder soul anywhere on the planet. Honesty, hard work and a devotion to family were core values to this man of few words (although a few times you couldn't shut him up) especially when he laughing at me with my dad. Tony sent me a Zulu spear made out of Horny Goat Horn(you'd have to know to know what that means) that was damn near the sharpest thing I have ever owned. I showed it to my father, set it down on the table for a second and when I came back, it was gone. Repo. Snatched. Flat out taken by my dad. I get on the phone with Tony and he and my dad are laughing and giggling at me like a couple of hens. "Damn John, you're dad's my kind of guy!!!!"

All I could say to those two jokers was "Fuck you Tony"

Godspeed Tony Bose. I am honored to have called you my friend and to have been called a friend by you. You can get that Dynamite knife to me whenever you get around to it.......

I know very little about Tony's work, but these heartfelt notes make me know we've lost a great member of our knife community. Prayers be with you all.

Back