Too hard to hand sand?

After ceramics I usually go to "gator" belts at a300 then a100 then a65 then a40 before hand sanding.
440C shouldn't be a bear to grind even at as quenched hardness (which you wouldn't do).
I’ve never heard of gator belts. Are they similar to trizact belts?

I grind to 120 grit then hand sand as high as 3000. I back it off to 600-800 grit post HT.

I’ve never heard of gator belts. Are they similar to trizact belts?
They are 3M's structured abrasive belts. They are in the Trizact family.
Here's what I use:
337DC Trizact CF Aluminum Oxide
You can get them at Pop's Knife supply or Trugrit.com.

60Rc is HARD for 440C, which has LOTS of LARGE carbide aggregates. You've got a tough row to hoe ahead of you.
Fresh abrasive matters. I'd try some of the 3M Trizact stuff in the A100-A200 range.
60 isn’t hard for 440C, I’ve had 440C 60 RC with Cryo by Paul Bos/Buck Knives for over 22 years and bevel grind post HT with Ceramic belts, never a problem.

I was trying some 120 and 220 ceramic and then went to 40 and 35a trizact. That was probably to high of a grit before even getting the previous scratch lines out. What would make trizact different? I know very little about trizact belts.
You have some other problem here. Especially if you can’t even get the black sharpie off....You should be able to grind your 440C no problem. Do you have any other hardened blades of a different steel to try? It’s not the 440 C at 60 steel I tell ya! Nor is it needing to buy another kind of belt!

Even a belt with NO grit would quickly wear the ink off of the blade. Something else is going on.

Was the sharpie there before HT? My HT service warns that they might “burn in“ if so.

60 isn’t hard for 440C, I’ve had 440C 60 RC with Cryo by Paul Bos/Buck Knives for over 22 years and bevel grind post HT with Ceramic belts, never a problem.

You have some other problem here. Especially if you can’t even get the black sharpie off....You should be able to grind your 440C no problem. Do you have any other hardened blades of a different steel to try? It’s not the 440 C at 60 steel I tell ya! Nor is it needing to buy another kind of belt!
I tried it with hardened 01 and didn’t have this issue. I bought more ceramic 220 and I’m going to see what happens with those. I was using AO 220’s before

I have Peters' do my HT, there is a layer of discoloration but it polishes out just fine.

This is really weird. A buffer would remove the sharpie.

The belt isn't slipping is it? Never seen it happen but I wonder if the pressure against the platten is causing the drive wheel to slip on the belt and essentially stalling the belt.

Are you slack grinding or against a platten? Is slack grinding, you may only be hitting the edges. Are you throwing sparks?

Since no one has mentioned this, let me guess...it is a very wide blade with large flats?
One of my very first projects was a big Cutlass type thing in A2. It came back from HT at 60 hardness and when I started with 180 and then 120 grit, it seemed to be just polishing it and not removing much. I had to drop to 60 and make firm passes to finish the grind. The huge flat bevels had been draw filed before HT.

This post seemed strange at first since I now routinely grind after HT, even a katana in 3V, but then I remembered my beginner project...

Can you post pictures, or even better a video on here? I saw you mentioned your Instagram but not everyone is on there including myself. Might help us understand what’s going on more, because it really doesn’t make sense to me. Might be something super obvious your just overlooking.

Back