Too many attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried to post an image as a test and got the message. My last successful image posted was at 10:23am today.

There are work arounds. I just posted a pic using Imgur. Still seems to work. I hope people don't start deleting attachments as I'm afraid that will delete them from the thread. On the some threads that would probably be ok, but on some that are archival, like the Bob Cargill Cripple Creek thread, it would be a true shame.

P.S. we have three threads going on this. One would probably suffice, eh?

Yes, this.

I don’t know what the issue is, and hopefully someone in charge will chime in soon, but until then I’d hold off on deleting anything, or all those valuable old threads will suffer. It’ll be like the photobucket fiasco all over again.

Spark was recently asking for input on removing old images from the Exchange to clear server space. Perhaps it was recognized that having us clear our own attachments is a reasonable alternative.

There are work arounds. I just posted a pic using Imgur. Still seems to work. I hope people don't start deleting attachments as I'm afraid that will delete them from the thread. On the some threads that would probably be ok, but on some that are archival, like the Bob Cargill Cripple Creek thread, it would be a true shame.

P.S. we have three threads going on this. One would probably suffice, eh?
I really don't want to use a photo hosting site like Imgur, it is so easy to post photos from my desktop.
Spark was recently asking for input on removing old images from the Exchange to clear server space. Perhaps it was recognized that having us clear our own attachments is a reasonable alternative.
I only have one image in the exchange.

I was just reading in the guidelines area that when we copy and paste someone else's post, the images that are included in the quote count towards our limit. So editing out the images in quoted posts would lower a member's image count. I already do that when I think of it, but, haven't always.

I was just reading in the guidelines area that when we copy and paste someone else's post, the images that are included in the quote count towards our limit.

I don’t think that’s true. I quote people’s photos all the time, and my attachment count is 0. (I use Imgur for my own pics.)

Let's give Spark and the powers that be a little time to look into it and address it before you go off over it.

I would venture to guess it's a glitch. Spark's always good about posting changes and I can't see this being a choice to inact with no upfront notice.

As a few said I wouldn't get crazy and delete pictures just yet.

Just got done working 7 straight nights for over 90 hours. Was looking forward to posting a few pics of today’s carry since it’s been a week since posting pics. Getting the same message. Kinda annoying to get this since last time I posted there were no issues

I really don’t want to delete 1 by 1 and remove from relevant threads we post in

I don’t want to have to go back to posting pics in IMGUR then have to paste links here since I’m a paying member

Will see how this shakes out

Let's give Spark and the powers that be a little time to look into it and address it before you go off over it.

I would venture to guess it's a glitch. Spark's always good about posting changes and I can't see this being a choice to inact with no upfront notice.

As a few said I wouldn't get crazy and delete pictures just yet.
This^^^. Spark Spark and the mods are pretty good about giving us a heads up on stuff. I'm not deleting anything either and will wait to post in the usual picture threads until there's some resolution. I'm not gonna go back to Imgur either as I much prefer posting pics directly and keep running into too much sophomoric, ignorantly biased crap at that hosting site anyway.

So it turns out that the attachment system was misconfigured (most likely by me) and y'all were allowed unlimited attachments (as many of you have noticed with thousands of them). I reconfigured it today and now a lot of you are running into the fact that you've uploaded hundreds of megabytes of images.

We've burned through 85gb of additional storage in 8 months, and have almost a half terabyte in image attachments alone. When the search goes down, often it's because we've run out of disk space due to the attachments eating up the drives. That's not sustainable.

For now I've throttled things as I investigate solutions. You can still host images remotely & share by using Imgur or similar sites.

Cwilliams563 Cwilliams563 as an example you have 765 attachments with the vast majority being over 1mb in size.

Chefget Chefget you've got over 1200 with most being a 250k or larger

Again this isn't y'alls fault, it's mine for not having the software configured properly.

Last edited:
I'm just going to say it now, I can't see a way that any limit is going to work for me or many long time active members. Apparently I blew past the limit over 9000 images ago... so now the choice is deleting the 2 decades of history to fit the new rules or not being able to exercise the benefit of my craftsman membership to permanently host images in my sub-forum?

This forum lives on pictures, deleting them will ruin this place and forcing paying members to remotely host images will cause many members to just stop buying memberships...it's really the biggest perk beyond removing the ads in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back