Took my 5.1 camping

I hope this is ok to post. There were some other tools used as well:

Went for a quick overnight camping trip to test out my new Survive Knives GSO 5.1 a little bit more and also my new compact backpacking camera; a Sony A6300. It was really cold on the way up to the campsite (17 degrees at 2pm and snow) so I knew it would probably suck at night.

View towards campsite from the car. This is where we had a Colorado Bushcraft meetup not too long ago...

DSC00092_1200.jpg

Went to cut some firewood. Silky saw looks kind of short?...

DSC00093_1000.jpg

I have had this saw for a few years now. I am just glad it did not break during an actual backpacking trip...

DSC00096_1200.jpg

Revenge!...

DSC00097_1200.jpg

Some firewood stacked up for the night...

DSC00114_1200.jpg

Found a candle lantern that had been left after the last meetup...

DSC00100_1200.jpg

View from the fire ring...

DSC00105_1200.jpg

Got some beer on the way to campsite. Never even heard of this brewery before but it was cold and snowy when I bought it...

DSC00110_1200.jpg

Processing some firewood to fit into the tent's small wood stove...

DSC00117_1200.jpg

Surprisingly twisty and tough...

DSC00118_1200.jpg

No problem for the knife of course...

DSC00119_1200.jpg

Needed some tinder as well...

DSC00126_1200.jpg

Spam snack...

DSC00128_1200.jpg

Wood stove inside tent...

DSC00136_1200.jpg

Tried the camera at night, too. The moon was extremely bright though; no way to see the Milky Way but at least there were a few stars.

DSC00144_1200.jpg

Hot water for oatmeal...

DSC00150_1200.jpg

I was really surprised how sharp the knife still was after processing firewood for two separate overnight trips...

DSC00167_1200.jpg

Before leaving I gathered some fatwood. Bacon?...

DSC00158_1200.jpg

Fatwood everywhere...

DSC00160_1200.jpg

DSC00168_1200.jpg

That is it. Hopefully the mountains will defrost sometime soon. Backpacking photos will be more scenic.

Absolutely awesome!!!! I love finding fatwood, like mountain gold. Looks like a hell of a trip! I may have to try out a wood stove teepee set up one of these days, always confused what you'd do if it rains?

I was looking at that twisted grain in the first pic, thinking that might be a bit tough. Looks like the 5.1 sailed right through it.

I was looking at that twisted grain in the first pic, thinking that might be a bit tough. Looks like the 5.1 sailed right through it.

Had to process quite a bit for the stove. The knife went fine through a whole tree of that stuff. :)

Had to process quite a bit for the stove. The knife went fine through a whole tree of that stuff. :)

Pretty good workout/break-in for it then. Very nice. And beautiful pictures as always, thanks for sharing.

Love the scenery there and love your photos even more. Looks like a fun trip you had. Wish I have sceneries like this where I am.

Really nice pics Lars. Right now It's 4:30 AM here in New York and I'm trying to jump start myself with coffe before my tour. However, seeing this really makes me want to call out sick and go get lost in the woods somewhere.

You know, come to think of it. We should all call out sick one of these days and go get lost in the woods together. The whole forum. It would be like a Survive knives meetup where we all get to use our survive knives, drink whiskey, and share knowlege about camping, hiking and bushcraft.

BTW, I have the exact same 5.1 with the bone linen micarta and have been wanting to test it out but haven't had the nerve to use it yet. Now, thanks to you, I don't have to lol. It sounds like it functioned perfectly!
I'm also curious about the tent stove. I Love the idea but like redwood asked, what do you do if it rains?

You know, come to think of it. We should all call out sick one of these days and go get lost in the woods together. The whole forum. It would be like a Survive knives meetup where we all get to use our survive knives, drink whiskey, and share knowlege about camping, hiking and bushcraft.
That sounds pretty awesome!

Lars, WOW! Threads like this are my absolute favorite. Thanks for taking and posting the pics. Looks like a great time! Too bad about your saw, but seeing a new spec knife with seem serious use on it is a great thing to see :thumbup:

Last edited:
Yup...Nice pic's,Thanks for sharin.
Sure the 5.1 is a great camp knife too.
Definitely a winner...

Beautiful pics - and I really like the way the bone linen looks on the 5.1. Thanks for sharing! I really like these outdoor hiking/camping posts and agree with Anttheknee that it really makes you want to just get out there.

Thank you for sharing! I have been looking at buying that same camera, and wow!, what great pictures! You just convinced me on it.
I also have a bone linen 5.1 second currently "awaiting fulfillment". Can't wait to get it in and put it to use.

Great photos! The blue ion the sky in that first pic was amazing. And what time was that night shot? Was the only light source the moon? The camera did remarkably well!

Back