Tools for cutting kydex?

I am in the process of making a kydex sheath for a knife, and was just wondering what kind of tool someone would recommend for cutting?

I was able to cut the material beforehand by scoring it with a box cutter and using a pair cheap shears. But now, after heating it, and molded it to the knife in my homemade press ( I'd post a pic of it, but I think you guys would laugh, hint: the legs are made with soup cans :eek: ) the shears don't really work.

Any suggestions? I know a bandsaw or skroll saw would be ideal, but anything else, maybe something like tin snips? I mean just to rough cut, I'll use a a file and sand paper to smooth things out.

I’m just starting with kydex as well, in fact I haven’t even made my press yet, so post pics of it!

Once the sheath is made, it seems a band saw is the winner, but a jigsaw would also work if you’re careful. Or a cheap coping saw or a hack saw if you take your time.

Pics of press and sheath are a must. :D

Yeah I thought about a jigsaw, might be kind of hairy, but I guess if it was done carefully.

Ok, well I am really not proud of this sucker, but it gets the job done. Just keep in mind it was built on a limited budget, with limited tools:eek:. Here's a pic of it closed, with the clamps on it. The top is a piece of mdf and the bottom is a leftover laminated shelf from some put-together-furniture. The legs as I mentioned are soup cans. The foam is self-adhesive duct insulation, about 1/8" thick that I layered 4 deep.
4519315328_5f6a7c3bc4_b.jpg

Here's a picture of it open. I lined the foam with masking tape, because I didn't know if the foam would melt.
4519315336_2873a61d5e_b.jpg

Here's pictures of the knife, and sheath in progress. Knife is an Uzi Heavy Defender. The MOLLE sheath that came with it was made for something about 2 inches longer, way overkill, so I decided to make something more practical and less tactiCool.
4519315350_4d78aa06df_b.jpg

4519315366_697467e00a_b.jpg

4519315380_41c1f15f7d_b.jpg

pretty efficient looking press - and low cost is good!

I would drill holes and set grommets/bolts at this point, then trace your desired final shape.
rough cutting can be done with tin snips, but I bet curved "Wiss" shears would work better and a cheap coping saw best.
then file and sand to final shape before "flaming" your edges with a propane torch to get rid of the "fuzzies". (fast light passes with the torch or a lighter - you don't want to heat it enough you take a chance of softening the kydex again)

pretty efficient looking press - and low cost is good!

Thanks! Yeah, it works better than I thought it would.

I would drill holes and set grommets/bolts at this point, then trace your desired final shape.

Good idea. I've got grommets, but they need to be pressed in. There's a special tool on the website I bought the kydex kit from, but I've been looking around locally for something. Right now I am tweeking the sheath a little bit, so that the knife draws and sheaths a little smoother. Using a lighter, trying not to burn it in any spots. This stuff is stupid easy to form with a little heat and pressure.

rough cutting can be done with tin snips, but I bet curved "Wiss" shears would work better and a cheap coping saw best.

I'll look into those Wiss shears, but I'm not counting out a coping saw.

then file and sand to final shape before "flaming" your edges with a propane torch to get rid of the "fuzzies". (fast light passes with the torch or a lighter - you don't want to heat it enough you take a chance of softening the kydex again)

Never would have thought of the flaming idea, another good tip, thanks!

For hand tools on a finished sheath, I think a coping saw really would be best. Way better than tin snips on 2 thicknesses of kydex. Also better than a jig saw which would be damn near impossible to hold the sheath while cutting. Coping saw blades have a very thin kerf and you put them in so they cut on the pull. They are pretty easy to use.

Coping saw is looking like a winner. I need to go to lowe's in the next couple days, they've got some cheaper ones. Yeah, I'm not liking the jigsaw idea for something this small, could lead to bleeding, cursing, and maybe a little crying....:eek::mad::(:....just a little....

That press looks effective to me, no shame in that for a beginner kydex bender.

The key with the jigsaw is you would need to clamp the knife/sheath down to a firm surface and use a small, fine tooth metal blade to make your cuts. Not holding the sheath in one hand and cutting with the other. :D

I use an angle grinder to get rough shapes and use a bench grinder to finish them to their final contour. I then use one of those sandpaper backed sponge things for doing tile work to clean up any edges. I haven't done anything but basic shapes so far but it has worked for me. I get my shape cut and formed to the knife, then do the hardware, and finish it off on the grinder after everything is nice and tight.

The key with the jigsaw is you would need to clamp the knife/sheath down to a firm surface and use a small, fine tooth metal blade to make your cuts. Not holding the sheath in one hand and cutting with the other. :D

I dunno, that just sounds too....safe ;)....how else are you going to brag to your friends about cutting your fingers off with a jigsaw:thumbup:<<<(some people think that is just a thumbs up, I say it could also belong to a man who has had a tragic jigsaw accident) ....

No I see what you're getting at. :D
I have access to a jigsaw, but I think I will stick with something simpler for now.
I went ahead and bought a cheap cope saw at lowe's this morning. What I will probably do is use the press to clamp it to keep it steady while I use the saw.

Wiss snips work fine for cutting and then on to the belt grinder with a 120g to clean up.
Cheers Bruce

Good idea. I've got grommets, but they need to be pressed in. There's a special tool on the website I bought the kydex kit from, but I've been looking around locally for something.

I forgot to mention, if you have a Michaels craft store near you, they sell rivet setting tools that work great on kydex rivets. They are the type you put the round disc under the rolled half of the rivet, and use the punch tool and a hammer to roll the other side. The package came with 2 sizes, one small set labeled S and another labeled F. I used the S set, works great. I forget the brand, but they only carry one brand. They work better than the one I got from Knifekits.com

I forgot to mention, if you have a Michaels craft store near you, they sell rivet setting tools that work great on kydex rivets. They are the type you put the round disc under the rolled half of the rivet, and use the punch tool and a hammer to roll the other side. The package came with 2 sizes, one small set labeled S and another labeled F. I used the S set, works great. I forget the brand, but they only carry one brand. They work better than the one I got from Knifekits.com

Really? Yeah there's a Michaels right by me. I'll have to check that out.

Wiss snips work fine for cutting and then on to the belt grinder with a 120g to clean up.
Cheers Bruce

I went ahead and cut out using a coping saw. Don't have access right now to a belt sander , I do have a grinder somewhere, but I cannot seem to locate it at the moment.

Believe it or not, I do all my kydex cutting with these pruners then shape further with a bench grinder followed by hand sanding:
http://plantlifeonline.net/products/okatsune-pruners-7 Best pruners on the planet.

Little pricey for me at the moment, but good to know.

Nice sheath pics. I like that ZT0100 with the slide lock :thumbup:. I had considered doing something like that on this sheath I am making right now.

Little pricey for me at the moment, but good to know.

Nice sheath pics. I like that ZT0100 with the slide lock :thumbup:. I had considered doing something like that on this sheath I am making right now.

Yeah, I'm in the horticulture field and those pruners have served me well for almost 10 years now. Most people wouldn't find the need for Okatsune pruners. Thanks for the compliments.

Back