tools for working with micarta?

do i need anything special for cutting, shaping, sanding black canvas micarta? i have wood and metal-cutting bandsaws and sanders...any tips? precautions?

thanks muchly...

Nothing special needed to work canvas micarta, just have real good ventilation and wear a quality respirator. An air compressor is nice for blowing the crud off yourself and your equipment after the job is done. Tip wise, don't let the micarta get hot while you're sanding it, especially where it's next to the blade, it will burn and stinks something fierce.

yep, he sure covered it, and man does it stink. :) somake sure ya have sharp belts. :) But I just use my regular 10/12" craftsman hacksaw to cut to rough shape and then the little 1x30" belt grinder to grind it to shape.

But yeah, pretty much guaranteed you'll burn it at least once, and will learn quickly not to do it again. :) I keep shopvac hooked to grinder, fan on shelf next to my face blowing across face, toxic dust/pesticide respirator, and then clean up with vac and compressed air before I take off respirator

If you're gonna cut it with your wood cutting bandsaw you might want to pick up a spare blade or 2...micarta is pretty hard on em.

For finishing micarta, I get the best results by starting off with 400 grit sand paper on a 1/4 sheet palm sander. I keep the rubber pad on the sander so that it kind of forms around the micarta. This will smooth off any rough places left from grinding. I then move up to a 800 grit sheet. After that, I hand rub it with 00 or 0000 steel wool. It leaves a nice smooth finish on the micarta. -chris

If you can smell the Phenol and Formaldehyde, while you are wearing a respirator, you either need to adjust the straps, or the cartridges need replacing.:eek:

Back