Top Flipper Roundup

All I know is that I've done more flipping in the last few months than I ever did off a diving board growing up.

marthinus marthinus thanks for linking that thread. I didn't realize we were getting so far into semantics with this post! Makes sense that "in front of the pivot" would be a front flipper. It still begs the distinction, however. I don't really enjoy the front flippers whose action is more similar to a friction folder. Maybe "tang flipper" is a better distinction?

The picture of a "lip opener" wasn't displaying on the old thread, so hopefully I'm not confusing the two.

Those Thorburn and van Heerden knives are gorgeous, but a little out of reach for me. Seems like this opening style has been around much longer than I realized - I wonder why there aren't more production knives utilizing this action?

I was gonna say... most friction folders would technically be "front" flippers. Though, since they don't have that sweet detent action, we don't usually associate them as "flippers," per se. That would technically mean "front" flippers predate the Carson style flippers that seem to pretty much dominate the current marketplace

I would probably concur that the "lip opener" would be the "standard" front flipper configuration where the tab is literally just a slight extension of the spine (no necessarily needed for the tang to jut out). These definitely take a bit getting used to.

I think "tang" flipper would still be "top" flipper as you'd described since the extension point is still center from the pivot.

I feel like as far as front or top/tang flippers go, the US market is just so accustomed to the "classic" Carson style flipper. I think it's definitely one of those exposure to stimulus things where the more we see something, the more we are accustomed to it. Frankly, we're just more accustomed to the regular Carson style flipper.

Though, after messing with front/lip/top/tang flippers, these styles of flippers are definitely my preferred feature as far as knife opening goes. Again, more leaning towards that hybrid lip-tang or front/top flipper style.

Got any thoughts on the Tribute and Pena? I have been eyeballing both . . .

They are both nice knives but the Tribute is more blocky of the two. I like the feeling of the Pena better of the two. Pena is starting to put out larger versions of his front flippers. The first is the swayback and it's really nice.

Had this for the ti/ti thread, but ther fit here too :D
Love me some Pena front flippers.

50645680088_f920a49b98_h.jpg

Recently got a Mayo Mach 1 and I really like it, but sadly the handle is cracking so it has to go back. I hope they make more Mach 3s soon as that's what I'm really after.

I don't care if I get some flamed for saying the following.

Neither of these two knives are front/spine flippers, nor top/tang flippers, nor hybrid thereof.

These are just recessed Carson/back flippers. Keith Ouye has been making folders with recessed back flipper tabs, like these, for over a decade.

This knife changed me.
6kzVQS1h.jpg

eZJbJ7qh.jpg

uFREVtwh.jpg

A7GE3CUh.jpg

smF1ZEzh.jpg

My favorite flipping action so far. This tab placement, like on the Smock
is perfect. Vero Engineering Synapse XL.

kZTSSD1.jpg

ieIv8k4.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, for me, the top flipper is actually a front flipper as it is "in front of the pivot".

Thanks, I have only made 1 front flipper, but yet to make the conventional lip opener. Picture of that workhorse below

vbjoe7 vbjoe7

I had to do some digging but found my old reply on the matter.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/who-invented-the-front-flipper-design.1390228/

1-DB9-C45-B-4-C8-E-4-C96-8-C49-1195-AEC84-AD7.jpg

A1-B6179-E-F0-A3-4968-A557-0-F7-DB973-D5-F5.jpg

Correction on this post. I forgot the custom I made for my dad. So I have made 2 front flippers. He has carried it since 2016. I extended the opener as his hands give some issues in terms of pain.

CAC47234-0-E2-B-49-D7-8-FD8-E044058-ABDD0.jpg

44-AB19-C4-3-B42-4-A31-8-D60-5-DF13-D97567-E.jpg

LOL.:D I'm okay with it. Start a recessed back flipper tab round up thread
and I'll post a pic of my new knife in it.:thumbsup:

Please do! :thumbsup:

I think the recessed design is one that's severely underutilized. I remember Alexander Dietz popularized the tab style with his modified Boker Kwaiken flipper.

Correction on this post. I forgot the custom I made for my dad. So I have made 2 front flippers. He has carried it since 2016. I extended the opener as his hands give some issues in terms of pain.

CAC47234-0-E2-B-49-D7-8-FD8-E044058-ABDD0.jpg

44-AB19-C4-3-B42-4-A31-8-D60-5-DF13-D97567-E.jpg

Uhh... Sir...SIR!! Can we get a run of these for BF Members? Anyone else want to support marthinus marthinus in making a batch for us? :D

Please do! :thumbsup:

I think the recessed design is one that's severely underutilized. I remember Alexander Dietz popularized the tab style with his modified Boker Kwaiken flipper.

Uhh... Sir...SIR!! Can we get a run of these for BF Members? Anyone else want to support marthinus marthinus in making a batch for us? :D

Wish I could say yes, but don’t have the tools nor the time to push out knives. Work has been busy and was able to accomplish some pretty cool stuff.

I have been busy with 6 knives (not the one above) for the past year, 3 are scrapped to the f...it bucket due to me not making knives for a year and 8 months prior so made stupid mistakes. Spending a lot of time trying to improve on my skills and improving overall. Grinding after such a long time absence was nerve wracking

Wish I could say yes, but don’t have the tools nor the time to push out knives. Work has been busy and was able to accomplish some pretty cool stuff.

I have been busy with 6 knives (not the one above) for the past year, 3 are scrapped to the f...it bucket due to me not making knives for a year and 8 months prior so made stupid mistakes. Spending a lot of time trying to improve on my skills and improving overall. Grinding after such a long time absence was nerve wracking

Ah, I see. What about making it a mid-tech knife of sorts? Contract some of the machining out; work on mainly the assembly and tuning?

Or maybe have a manufacturer like Reate or WE make a run?

It's too good of a design to just have one of. :thumbsup:

If Reate was to make it, could have the construction simplified with integrated half-backspacer per scale with a hidden lanyard pin (obligatory deep carry milled clip).

Those are some pretty high end pieces! Very nice!

I find that my 50 dollar Civivi Exarch flips better than some of my way more expensive knives...

...or maybe, I just haven't seen enough of the world yet o_O

Ah, I see. What about making it a mid-tech knife of sorts? Contract some of the machining out; work on mainly the assembly and tuning?

Or maybe have a manufacturer like Reate or WE make a run?

It's too good of a design to just have one of. :thumbsup:

If Reate was to make it, could have the construction simplified with integrated half-backspacer per scale with a hidden lanyard pin (obligatory deep carry milled clip).

It would be nice to get my name more out there, but I have no idea where to even start with commissioning a mid tech :)

The smaller version has been one of my most popular models.

8-B606-A20-D102-4-A00-86-EF-0-E550973-C3-D5.jpg

Here are mine
Pena x-series
View attachment 1523565

Brown knives, an early exponent and a cortex
View attachment 1523562

I don’t know if these TBC are front or top flippers.

View attachment 1523566

Those are some sweet front and top flippers. The tab on the Cortex is very interesting; subtle, I'm guessing it's more of a recessed style back flipper that is inching towards a top/tang flipper.

The TBC is a "top" front flipper. :thumbsup: Always wanted to try one out. Had a Boker Exskelibur and really liked the action on it; got rid of it because the construction/F&F was pretty subpar. I can only imagine how nice a custom Burger would be.

It would be nice to get my name more out there, but I have no idea where to even start with commissioning a mid tech :)

The smaller version has been one of my most popular models.

8-B606-A20-D102-4-A00-86-EF-0-E550973-C3-D5.jpg

Hmm... maybe some of the folks on the maker's subforum could help or chime in?

Back